Applications are invited for a postdoctoral fellow to work on urban
health disparities in the Americas (U.S. and other countries), with
a specific focus on understanding contributors to changes in
mortality over time.
The fellow will work primarily on an NIH-funded project that
focuses on analyzing health across the continuum of urbanization,
under the supervision of Dr. Usama Bilal, Assistant Professor of
Epidemiology. The fellow will also have the opportunity to engage
with other multisite and collaborative projects locally,
nationally, and internationally, at the Urban Health Collaborative
(UHC) and Dornsife School of Public Health (DSPH). The fellow will
be expected to lead publications and develop their own research
ideas, and to work collaboratively with other researchers in the
project, the UHC and DSPH.
The fellow will be housed in the Urban Health Collaborative (
collaboration of all departments in the Drexel Dornsife School of
Public Health, with unique mentoring and networking opportunities.
The fellow will join an interdisciplinary team of researchers
across multiple institutions to conduct analyses and write papers.
The fellow will meet weekly or biweekly with the mentor. The fellow
will have opportunities to interact with collaborators through
formal and informal settings. Individuals are strongly encouraged
to apply if they are interested in furthering their expertise and
publications in the area of social epidemiology and urban
The fellowship is based at the Drexel University School of Public
Health (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania), Urban Health Collaborative (
is a full-time position for one year. The fellow will be an
employee of the Drexel University School of Public Health (
Postdoctoral fellows receive the same benefits as other Drexel
University staff ( http://www.drexel.edu/hr/benefits/Overview/)
Drexel University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action
Employer. The Dornsife School of Public Health is especially
interested in qualified candidates who can contribute to the
diversity and excellence of our academic community. Background
investigations are required for all new hires as a condition of
employment, after the job offer is made. Employment will be
contingent upon the University's acceptance of the results of the
Informal queries to Dr. Usama Bilal (email@example.com) Subject
header: applying for post-doctoral fellowship. Telephone contact:
- Conduct statistical analysis using mortality records.
- Produce visualizations and tables with results from statistical
- Prepare and present results from analysis in oral
- Draft manuscripts for peer-reviewed journals.
- Contribute to grant writing of proposals related to the
- Attend and contribute to project meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A PhD or Doctorate is required in Epidemiology, or another
- 3+ years of experience is required.
- A strong quantitative (required) background is required.
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills are
- Team oriented and experienced working with diverse groups of
investigators, trainees, and students.
- Advanced data compilation and data management skills
- Experience with R-based visualization development
- Experience using formal demographic methods
- Prior experience working with mortality data across cities of
- Typically sitting at a desk/table
- University City – Philadelphia, PA
This position is classified as exempt with a grade of I (Minimum: $
41,120.00 - Maximum: $ 61,680.00) .
Offered salary is dependent upon internal
equity and the successful candidate’s competencies, education, and
For more information regarding Drexel’s Professional Staff salary
structure and Compensation Guidelines & Policies, please visit
the Compensation and
Please review the
for some information on our benefits
Special Instructions to the Applicant
Please make sure you upload your CV/resume and cover letter when
submitting your application.
Review of applicants will begin once a suitable candidate pool is
Sep 25 2023 Eastern Daylight Time
Oct 25 2023 Eastern Daylight Time