Director of Clinical Education (Administrator II), Master of
Science in Physician Assistant (MSPA) Program
California State University, San Bernardino
MPP, Administrative, At-Will, Full Time, On-site
(work in-person at business location) Job
The Director of Clinical Education (DCE) provides effective
leadership for all aspects of the clinical phase of the MSPA
program. The DCE is responsible for oversight of the development,
implementation, and evaluation of the Program's clinical curriculum
and supervised clinical practice experiences (SCPEs). The Director
of Clinical Education must possess prior experience in PA
education, as well as strong leadership and organizational skills.
This full-time position reports directly to the Program Director
and works collaboratively with MSPA program faculty, staff, and
preceptors. A full-time Clinical Coordinator will also be hired and
report directly to the Director of Clinical Education.
About the Program
California State University, San Bernardino (CSUSB) is developing a
Master of Science in Physician Assistant (MSPA) program to help
meet the current and future healthcare needs of the region and
state. The MSPA program is projected to start in 2025 pending
accreditation. To date, CSUSB has received nearly $14 million in
funding to support the development of this exciting new program and
its facilities. The program will make a lasting impact on
increasing access to quality care through an innovative curriculum,
involvement in the community, and strategic healthcare
partnerships. The program is also committed to diversifying the PA
profession so its graduates will more closely mirror the
communities they will serve.
Required materials for application:
CV, cover letter, and diversity statement.
Major duties and responsibilities:
- Oversee the design, development, implementation, coordination,
evaluation, and maintenance of the clinical curriculum, which
includes ensuring full compliance with ARC-PA Standards.
- Develop the teaching schedule and workload for the clinical
- Serve as the supervisor for the Clinical Coordinator.
- Oversee the clinical schedule for students in conjunction with
the Clinical Coordinator.
- Manage student academic progression, retention, and completion
strategies for the clinical phase.
- Lead clinical site development and long-term monitoring in
alignment with ARC-PA Standards.
- Foster relationships with key stakeholders and community
partners to strengthen the clinical phase.
- Evaluate the quality, safety, and sufficiency of potential
clinical sites and preceptors.
- Create a preceptor and healthcare facility toolkit, including
recruitment materials, onboarding guide, and required forms.
- Review affiliation agreements related to the clinical phase to
ensure compliance with ARC-PA Standards.
- Evaluate and collaborate with third-party vendors for
equipment, software, and services needed to enhance the student
experience during the clinical phase.
- Contribute to initial and ongoing accreditation activities by
serving as the content expert for all aspects of the clinical
- Lead the comprehensive assessment of the clinical phase,
including data collection and thoughtful analysis.
- Collaborate with the Program Director and MSPA program faculty
to perform programmatic evaluation.
- Develop, review, and revise as necessary the mission statement,
goals, and competencies of the program.
- Serve as a part of the program's leadership team by providing
mentorship and support to new faculty.
- Lead the recruitment, onboarding, and evaluation of
instructional faculty and preceptors for the clinical phase of the
program. (Requires travel within Southern California and
Teaching and Student Support
- Provide student instruction in areas of clinical expertise
using active learning methods.
- Counsel and mentor students related to academic and
- Coordinate instruction (i.e., Course Director) within specified
- Evaluate student performance and provide
remediation/reassessment as needed.
- Participate in the MSPA program's admissions process, including
recruitment, application review, interviews, and final selection
- Serve as an active member of MSPA program committees and
relevant CSUSB committees.
- Work collaboratively with academic programs at CSUSB and
- Engage in active service and scholarship as defined by the
Minimum Qualifications: Required Education and
Graduate of an ARC-PA accredited program.
Master's Degree or higher in a field related to the PA
Minimum of three years of experience working in a clinical
setting as a Physician Assistant.
Current certification through the National Commission on
Certification of Physician
- Engage in ongoing faculty development, including continued
clinical practice and/or educational programs related to clinical
medicine or PA education.
- Perform other duties as determined by the Program
PA licensure (or eligibility for licensure) in the state of
Minimum of one year of full-time experience in a PA program (or
- Will consider two years of part-time PA education experience
(e.g., precepting, adjunct teaching, guest lecturing).
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills (including
being a good listener) to interact and communicate effectively with
faculty, staff, students, and external constituencies, both
verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrated leadership and organizational skills.
- Ability to establish successful partnerships with the local
- Advanced time management and analytical skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects independently in a
fast-paced organization with competing priorities and
- Excellent teaching skills, including the ability to engage
- Strong critical thinking, analytical, research,
problem-solving, and conflict resolution skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to justice, equity, diversity, and
- Ability to use high-level discretion and maintain a high level
of confidentiality in handling problems of a sensitive nature and
security of confidential records.
- Working knowledge of applicable state and federal employment
and education laws and regulations.
- Working knowledge of and ability to operate standard office
equipment and technology including, but not limited to, desktop
computer, laptop, copier, fax machine, scanner, and printer.
- Demonstrated proficiency and ability to effectively use common
computer and technology programs and related computer software
packages (e.g., Microsoft Office Suite, Zoom, etc.) in the course
of assigned duties.
The following qualifications will also be considered when reviewing
applications. However, the qualifications are not required in order
Compensation and Benefits:
- Prior experience in successfully leading and managing a team
and/or large-scale project.
- Doctoral degree in a related field (e.g., DMSc, DHSc, EdD, PhD,
- Additional years of clinical practice, seving as a clinical
preceptor, and/or full-time teaching experience in a PA program (or
the equivalent) beyond the position requirements.
- Prior experience developing clinical sites for a PA program,
including detailed review of clinical affiliation agreements.
- Strong, established connection with medical providers and
healthcare facilities in Southern California.
- Ability to incorporate active learning and utilize current
educational technology into teaching.
- Prior experience working within a diverse campus
Anticipated Hiring Range: $130,000 - $150,000 annually
Classification Salary Range: $54,996 - $176,556 annually
The CSU system provides a comprehensive benefit package that
includes medical, dental and vision plans, membership in the
California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS), sick and
vacation time, and 14 paid holidays a year. Eligible employees are
also able to participate in the fee waiver education program. A
summary of benefit information can be found
Work status: Full-time/Exempt/At Will
Academic year schedule: Monday through Friday (8:00 am - 5:00 pm),
Summer schedule: Monday through Thursday (7:00 am - 5:30 pm), some
This is a full-time management (MPP) position. MPP employees serve
at the pleasure of the campus President. MPPs do not serve a
probationary period and never receive permanent status.
First considerations will be given to candidates who apply by
Monday, October 16, 2023 and will continue until the position is
filled; however, the position may close when an adequate number of
qualified applications are received.
Conditions of Employment
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal
records check) is required for employment. CSU will make a
conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the
background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is
discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified
information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background
check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee
who was conditionally offered the position.
The person holding this position is considered a `mandated
reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting
Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in
CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
CSUSB hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the
United States. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired
will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the
United States and to complete the required employment eligibility
verification form upon hire. See Form I-9 Acceptable Documents at
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who physically access
campus facilities or programs to be fully vaccinated against
COVID-19, which includes obtaining a COVID-19 booster dose, or
declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any
candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be
prepared to comply with this requirement. See policy at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/11030468/latest
Statement of Commitment to Diversity
In our commitment to the furthering of knowledge and fulfilling our
educational mission, California State University, San Bernardino
seeks a campus climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes
respect for the entire variety of human experience. We welcome
people from all backgrounds, and we seek to include knowledge and
values from many cultures in the curriculum and extra-curricular
life of the campus community. We will create, promote, and maintain
activities and programs that further our understanding of
individual and group diversity. We will also develop and
communicate policies and promote values that discourage intolerance
California State University, San Bernardino is proud to be an
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We recruit, hire,
train, and administer all personnel actions without regard to race,
ethnicity, religion, color, caste, national origin, ancestry, age,
sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual
orientation, socioeconomic status, genetic information, medical
condition, disability, marital status, protected military or
veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.
This position adheres to CSU policies against Sex Discrimination,
Sexual Harassment, and Sexual Violence, including Domestic
Violence, Dating Violence, and Stalking. This requires completion
of Sexual Violence Prevention Training within 6 months of assuming
employment and on a two-year basis thereafter. (Executive Order
1096) For more information about Diversity & Inclusion at
CSUSB, please visit https://www.csusb.edu/human-resources/diversity-inclusion
We provide reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees
with disabilities. Applicants with questions about access or
requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the
application or hiring process should contact the Office of Employee
and Labor Relations by phone at (909) 537-5138 or by email at
CSUSB is a smoke and tobacco-free campus. See policy at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/6591951/latest/
In compliance with state and federal crime awareness and campus
security legislation, including The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of
Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, California
Education Code section 67380, and the Higher Education Opportunity
Act (HEOA), the Cal State San Bernardino Annual Security and Fire
Safety Report is available at: https://www.csusb.edu/clery-act
To view full description and to apply, visit: https://www.csusb.edu