Open Until Filled
Confidential Executive Assistant
Department this Position Reports to
Hiring Range Minimum
Hiring Range Maximum
Not a Union Position
Not an SEIU Position
Regular Full Time
Scheduled Months per Year
Scheduled Hours per Week
Location of Position
Remote Work Eligibility?
Is this a term position?
If yes, length of term in months.
Is this a grant funded position?
Reporting in a matrixed relationship to the Deputy Secretary of the
Board of Trustees and the Office Manager and Executive Assistant to
the Senior Vice President, General Counsel and Secretary ( SVPGCS
), the Confidential Executive Assistant will provide administrative
and organizational support and management for the Deputy Secretary
and the Board of Trustees. Working in a multifaceted, dynamic, and
fluid office environment, the Confidential Executive Assistant will
be responsible for working closely with office colleagues to ensure
the Board’s timely, informed, and effective decision making in
accordance with Dartmouth’s mission and strategic priorities.
Required Qualifications - Education and Yrs Exp
Bachelors plus 3-5 years' experience or equivalent combination of
education and experience
Required Qualifications - Skills, Knowledge and
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and
- At least five years of relevant executive support experience in
a fast-paced and highly demanding environment in a complex
- Knowledge of scheduling principles and procedures and excellent
calendar management skills, including the coordination of complex
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to set priorities
and adhere to deadlines
- Experience in planning and executing events and programs,
ensuring the smooth operation of all aspects of meetings and
- Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusivity, and
- Exceptional communications and interpersonal skills
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Demonstrated writing and proofreading skills
- Demonstrated skill in problem-solving, decision making, and
- High degree of flexibility, integrity, discretion, and
- Proven ability to maintain confidentiality and to handle highly
- Strong knowledge of all office and video conferencing
applications and mobile technology troubleshooting experience
- Availability to work nights and weekends
Department Contact for Recruitment Inquiries
- Experience in higher education
- Bachelor’s degree strongly preferred
Department Contact Phone Number
Department Contact for Cover Letter and Title
Department Contact's Phone Number
Equal Opportunity Employer
Dartmouth College is an equal opportunity/affirmative action
employer with a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. We
prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex,
age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, disability, veteran status, marital status, or any
other legally protected status. Applications by members of all
underrepresented groups are encouraged.
Employment in this position is contingent upon consent to and
successful completion of a pre-employment background check, which
may include a criminal background check, reference checks,
verification of work history, conduct review, and verification of
any required academic credentials, licenses, and/or certifications,
with results acceptable to Dartmouth College. A criminal conviction
will not automatically disqualify an applicant from employment.
Background check information will be used in a confidential,
non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal
Is driving a vehicle (e.g. Dartmouth vehicle or off road
vehicle, rental car, personal car) an essential function of this
Not an essential function
Special Instructions to Applicants
Dartmouth College has a Tobacco-Free Policy. Smoking and the use of
tobacco-based products (including smokeless tobacco) are prohibited
in all facilities, grounds, vehicles or other areas owned, operated
or occupied by Dartmouth College with no exceptions. For details,
please see our policy. https://policies.dartmouth.edu/policy/tobacco-free-policy
Board of Trustees administration:
Provides administrative and organizational support and management
for the following:
Percentage Of Time
- Coordinates all preparation for, execution of, and follow-up
from all Board meetings
- Coordinates compilation of written Board book materials,
ensuring confidentiality and conflicts of interest are
appropriately addressed, and assembling and distributing Board book
materials in compliance with immediate and long-range
- Manages complex Trustee events and programming.
- Supports Deputy Secretary in planning and maintaining agendas
for calls, briefings, and other communications with Board Chair and
other Board leadership.
- Attends all Board meetings and assists Deputy Secretary in
preparing meeting minutes as needed.
- Maintains Board Office manual, develops and implements
calendars and checklists for tracking all full Board and committee
activities and actions, and regularly updates calendars and
checklists with completed items and next steps.
- Distributes annual and recurring deadlines to senior officers,
committee liaisons, and others with responsibilities for submitting
items to the Board for discussion and/or voting.
- Tracks advisory board candidate nominations and approvals in
collaboration with the Dean of the Faculty and the Provost.
Trustee stewardship and engagement:
Percentage Of Time
- Assists Deputy Secretary in providing comprehensive briefings
and talking points to Board leadership and the President in advance
of Board meetings.
- Develops, distributes, and tracks invitations to third parties
to Trustee-hosted events on campus.
- Arranges reimbursement of expenses incurred for Board-related
- Annually oversees procurement and development of appropriate
gifts and programming for Trustees retiring from the Board, in
consultation with the Deputy Secretary.
- Provides administrative and organizational support and
management for the following:
- Board orientation and continuing development programs and
- Board engagement with the institutional community
- On- and off-campus events involving current and emeritus
- Communications with current and emeritus Trustees and their
- Distribution of correspondence related to and resulting from
Percentage Of Time
- Maintains the Board’s online platform and frequently updates
the platform with all Board book materials, committee reports,
presentations, and all other materials submitted to or requested by
- Designs training for Trustees on the Board’s online platform
and troubleshoots any issues with the online platform.
- Manages assignment of NetIDs and single sign-on enrollment of
- Maintains the Board’s web site, routinely reviews existing
content, and drafts and incorporates new content following review
and approval by SVPGCS, Deputy Secretary, and Board Chair.
- Participates as office representative in meetings relating to
Commencement organization and implementation; orders and maintains
Trustee regalia and assists Trustees with regalia as needed.
- Maintains and discards records according to applicable record
retention schedules, preserving confidentiality as needed, and
transfers Board records to Archives at the direction of the Deputy
Support of leadership and management:
Percentage Of Time
- Provides executive support and calendar/office management to
the Deputy Secretary, including scheduling and organizing complex
activities such as meetings, travel, and expense submission
follow-up. Tracks relevant deadlines, logistics, documentation, and
follow-up, and develops solutions as needed for projects.
Facilitates, attends, and participates in meetings as required.
Drafts and distributes correspondence on behalf of the Deputy
- Regularly handles confidential and/or sensitive information and
exercises discretion concerning its disposition.
- Prioritizes and facilitates Deputy Secretary’s interactions
with and support of Board members.
Demonstrates a commitment to diversity, inclusion, and cultural
awareness through actions, interactions, and communications with
Performs other duties as assigned.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Documents Needed to Apply
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Talent Acquisition Consultant
- American Library Association
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Chronicle of Philanthropy
- Dartmouth College Employment Website
- Internal Employee Referral (Please specify full name
- Higher Ed Jobs
- Inside Higher Ed
- National Black MBA Association
- Recruit Military
- Valley News
- Other (Please specify below)
- If you answered, 'Internal Employee Referral' or 'Other' to the
above question, please specify here:
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter