Home Org Name
Harris Early Learning Ctr Operating
College of Human Sciences
Maintenance Mechanic (Harris Early Learning Center)
Job Class Code
Limited Term Length
The Harris Early Learning
seeks candidates for a Maintenance Mechanic
position to maintain facilities and grounds. The Harris
Early Learning Center ( HELC ), managed by Auburn University, is a
National Association for the Education of Young Children ( NAEYC )
accredited preschool facility for children ranging in age from six
weeks to five years.
This position is a 1-year limited-term position. Continued
employment is contingent upon the availability of funding and
Working for Auburn:
Auburn University was named by Forbes
Magazine as one of the state of Alabama’s best employers, with
employees staying an average of ten years. Employees enjoy
competitive benefits that include top-notch health insurance,
generous retirement plans, tuition assistance for employees and
dependents, flexible spending accounts and more!
Learn more about Auburn’s impact, generous employee benefits, and
thriving community by visiting
Auburn University is committed to a diverse
and inclusive environment. Visit www.auburn.edu/inclusion
to learn more about our commitment to expanding equity and
inclusion for all.
This position is located in Birmingham, AL.
- Performs inspections and routine maintenance, troubleshoots and
repairs various building environmental systems and associated
systems; including heating, cooling and ventilation systems.
- Installs, troubleshoots, repairs, and maintains building
plumbing systems including domestic hot and cold and sanitary
sewer. Includes, but not limited to: replacing fixtures, repairing
leaks, replacing piping, clearing drains.
- Installs, troubleshoots, repairs, and maintains building
electrical systems; including lights, devices, fan motors, and
breakers. Provides routine and scheduled maintenance such as
replacing bulbs, ballasts, and batteries.
- Performs basic carpentry tasks such as door repair and
replacement, window repair and replacement, furniture repair and
replacement, including but not limited to: replacing locks and
hinges, replacing balances and locks, replacing drawer glides and
- Maintains indoor and outdoor surfaces to include roof and
playgrounds. Maintains professional appearance of the facilities
extending service life through proper surface prevention and
maintenance. May provide assistance in additional variations of
building maintenance and repair including but not limited to: brick
work, concrete, flooring, and general construction.
- Coordinates with Auburn University Facilities Management and
third-party contractors to schedule repairs and maintenance needs.
Communicates and/or collaborates with coworkers and management to
make repairs for routine and emergency repairs to ensure jobs are
completed in a quality and timely manner.
- Enters occupied and unoccupied facilities to include, but not
limited to, personal offices, academic and administrative
buildings. Personal interaction between University students,
faculty, staff, and HELC students and families both during and
after normal working hours is required.
- This position includes the above mentioned tasks, but is not
limited to them. Additional related tasks could be requested as
different situations arise.
High School Diploma or equivalent.
(3 years) Journeyman level knowledge and
experience in building maintenance, electrical repair, plumbing
repair, carpentry, and/or trades.
Certification or Licensure Requirements:
Minimum Skills, License, and Certifications
Minimum Skills and Abilities
Knowledge and understanding of basic building maintenance and
repair; including electrical, plumbing, mechanical, and
carpentry.Basic knowledge of current building codes and practices,
and OSHA standards. Ability to read, write, and perform basic math
skills. The ability to correctly and safely use common hand and
Minimum Technology Skills
Minimum License and Certifications
Valid Driver’s License.
Additional certifications may be required for Level II or Level
III, based on department need.
Posting Detail Information
$38,200 - $57,300
Working Hours if Non-Traditional
City position is located in:
State position is located:
List any hazardous conditions or physical demands required by
Auburn University is committed to an inclusive and diverse campus
environment. Women, underrepresented groups, individuals with
disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
AUBURN UNIVERSITY IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION / EQUAL OPPORTUNITY
EMPLOYER . It is our policy to provide equal employment
opportunities for all individuals without regard to race, sex,
religion, color, national origin, age, disability, protected
veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender
identity, or any other classification protected by applicable
Special Instructions to Applicants
Quick Link for Internal Postings
Documents Needed to Apply
- Cover Letter
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Please select how you first became aware of this opportunity.
Your response helps us determine how we can more effectively reach
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- HERC (Higher Education Recruitment Consortium)
- The Tuskegee News
- Professional organization or journal
- Veterans Assistance Services
- Disability Assistance Services
- State Employment Service
- Social Media
- AU Job Bulletin
- Notified by an Auburn employee
- College or university Career Services
- I went to the AU Employment Website directly
- * Please select the answer that best describes your current
employment relationship with Auburn University:
- Current full-time Auburn or AUM employee within probationary
- Current full-time Auburn or AUM employee outside of
- Current part-time Auburn or AUM employee
- Not an Auburn or AUM employee
- * Do you have a High School Diploma or equivalent?
- * Do you have at least 3 years of experience in building
maintenance, electrical repair, plumbing repair, carpentry, and/or
trades OR a Degree to use in lieu of some years of experience?
- * Do you have a valid Drivers License?