Founded in 1971 as the innovative campus of the State University
of New York (SUNY), Empire State University empowers learners from
diverse backgrounds to achieve their educational goals. We have
decades of experience providing educational access through online
teaching and learning, individualized instruction, mentoring, and
prior learning assessment. We build on our students' experiences to
promote their growth and drive upward mobility and economic
development in New York state and beyond. SUNY Empire's 97,000
alumni are teachers, nurses, entrepreneurs, and leaders in their
communities and their fields. Visit www.sunyempire.edu
and follow us on social media @SUNYEmpire.
SUNY Empire is committed to creating a multicultural, inclusive
academic and work environment. All qualified applicants receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual
orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran
status. We believe that having diverse faculty and staff is
critical to academic excellence and prepares students to live and
work in an increasingly global world.
Empire State University, Decision Support Office seeks a
full-time Data Warehouse/Business Intelligence (BI) Architect
(State Title: Staff Associate) at our Saratoga Springs, NY
location. The selected incumbent will be responsible for
design, development and management of a data warehouse environment
used for analytics and reporting.
As part of Decision Support, the data warehouse team works with
campus stakeholders to develop data models and intelligence
delivery systems so the campus can achieve a wide range of
strategic and tactical goals. The team is responsible for the
entire scope of data warehousing and Business Intelligence,
including requirements discovery, data mining and profiling, data
model design, implementation, maintenance, training and support.
The SUNY Empire data warehouse is expected to be a central part of
all strategic initiatives for business and academic improvement at
- Engage with stakeholders to gather/determine requirements,
priorities, define key performance indicators (KPI) for reporting
and analytic solutions in support of campus initiatives.
- Design, develop and communicate appropriate data structures and
architectures including data vault, star schema and data mining
models; emphasize methodology, modeling, technologically and
politically neutral, articulate, persuasive, and enthusiastic.
- Develop and test programs using TSQL, PLSQL and other various
tools (e.g., WhereScape RED, SSIS, Python) to support reporting and
- Support business and technical staff regarding the content and
use of data warehouse objects.
- Maintain table structures, programs, scripts and documentation
and develop data management strategy.
- Ability to conceive and portray the big data picture: initiate,
evaluate, and influence projects from the perspective of the entire
- Implement sound data modeling and database design across all
phases of development from conceptualization to database
optimization; using skills that extend from SQL development to
- Associate's degree or higher and a minimum of 3 years of
practical experience delivering business intelligence/analytic or
- Advanced SQL skills (e.g. functions, stored procedures,
pivoting, cursors, triggers, indexes, constraints, etc.).
- Ability to leverage various API's to integrate data to and from
- Strong analytical, business process, and design skills.
- Excellent presentation, written, verbal and communication
skills with the ability to engage and influence employees and
leaders at all levels of the organization.
- Experience developing business intelligence and reporting
solutions using any major industry standard tool (e.g. PowerBI,
Cognos, MicroStrategy, Tableau, etc.).
- Knowledge of OLAP technologies and dimensional modeling,
including their applicability to various reporting problems.
- Knowledge of industry trends including data mining,
visualization, and predictive modeling; experience with designing
models to support enrollment prediction and forecasting is a
- Experience in higher education and their associated data
landscapes or strong conceptual knowledge of a higher education
systems (e.g. Banner, CRM Recruit, Advise, etc.).
- Exposure to a team-oriented work environment.
- Practical experience with data warehousing/business
intelligence best practices, methodologies, standards, and
- Knowledge of relational database design, logical data modeling,
data warehousing, and relational database management systems;
preferably Oracle 11x or MS SQL Server 2012+.
- Bachelor's degree and experience to include a minimum of 1 year
of practical experience delivering business intelligence/analytic
or related solutions.
- This position will be located in Saratoga Springs, NY.
- VISA sponsorship is not available for this position.
- SUNY Empire provides employees with a flexible work environment
with a part-time telecommuting option per the current SUNY
Telecommuting Policy which has been extended to June 30, 2024.
Rank/Salary: SL4/ $75,000-$90,000,
dependent on experience and qualifications
Empire State University is an EOE employer.
We are pleased to offer our employees an excellent benefit
package which includes; NYS health insurance, free dental and
vision, competitive retirement options, and generous vacation, sick
and holiday accruals; and a strong emphasis on work-life
balance. We also offer professional-development activities
for professionals and support staff.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE
ADA COORDINATOR AT (518) 587-2100, ext. 2240. IN ACCORDANCE WITH
THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME
STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (518) 587-2100,
ext. 2800. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE SAFETY AND SECURITY
WEBSITE AT www.sunyempire.edu/safety-security.
Applications Due By: Applications accepted
until position is filled.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please
submit the following documents, which are required for
consideration by clicking on the APPLY NOW button:
- Cover letter
- Name and contact information of three references
FAQ for using our online system. Please contact
us if you need assistance applying through this website.
Returning Applicants - Please click here to
login to your Empire State University Employment Account
to check your completed application or to update your account.