Founded in 1764, Brown is a leading institution for education,
discovery, and global intellectual progress as well as one of the
largest employers in Rhode Island. Working at Brown brings more
than just a paycheck and generous benefits; it offers an
opportunity to contribute to a greater good. Join us in supporting
the pursuit of knowledge and individual growth that defines higher
education and enriches our community.
This position is responsible for providing administrative support
to the Brown Dining Services catering team. The successful
candidate will assist the University community and the public with
catering-related inquires and requests for service. This position
will process all function paperwork including but not limited to
processing event BEO’s and invoicing of all catering services. The
successful candidate for this position will be available to work a
variety of shifts including evening and weekends. This position
will report directly to the Assistant Director of Culinary
Operations and will work closely with the Catering Event Specialist
and Catering Operations supervisor in the planning and execution of
larger University Events.
Major Responsibility: Event Planning - 40%
Major Responsibility: Provide administrative support to the
catering team - 40%
- Assist clients in designing events and placing orders (menu
selection, food quantities, layout, décor, auxiliary service/rental
- Guide clients toward appropriate selections based on their
vision of event, upselling when appropriate.
- Provide estimates of function expenses.
- Contact customers for confirmation of all details prior to
- Visit events, greet clients, introduce captains/leads, and pass
along last-minute changes or special requests.
- Review post-event paperwork to identify problems or issues that
- Review consumption data (for alcohol and food) and put together
- Solicit feedback and follow up on issues.
- Best practices are consistently followed, quality of service
and customer satisfaction maximized.
Major Responsibility: Provide support to event operations –
- Screen phone calls to catering managers, handling most calls on
- Act as liaison between event planners and customers
- Stay informed about event details to be able to provide
information to relevant parties.
- Assist in answering department phones and departmental
- Responsible for the daily distribution of event BEO’s to all
Job Qualifications and Competencies
- Assist in the creation and distribution of the daily delivery
schedules and staffing schedules.
- Create event packets for catering staff.
- Assist in communications to drivers and catering prep.
- Assist in planning of department related Commencement and other
- Assist in production and distribution of Commencement function
- Assist in execution of all Commencement catered functions.
- Assist in planning for and executing busy catering periods
(corporation weekends, orientation, parents’ weekend, etc.),
summer, and other special programs.
- Associates Degree and 1-3 years in event planning, hospitality
management, or experience in the hospitality industry in positions
of progressively increasing levels of responsibility, preferably in
catering or event planning, or equivalent combination of education
- Experience in an office setting with a focus on Sales
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate with people at all
- Demonstrated high standards and strong customer service
- Extremely organized and detail-oriented, and able to prioritize
- Sensitivity to diversity and cultural differences.
- Highly professional with a positive attitude.
- Possess a willingness and ability to support and promote a
diverse and inclusive campus community.
- Solid interpersonal skills and ability to build relationships
both with clients and colleagues.
- Demonstrated competence with Microsoft Office software
Experience with catering or event planning software preferred.
- RI Food Safety and Bar Code certification preferred;
willingness to obtain upon hire required.
- Experience working in a union environment preferred.
- Highly effective oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to problem-solve and strategize.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills for managing
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing
with all levels of staff, students, and members of various
- Ability to use a computer to communicate, prepare and generate
reports, conduct research, and create presentations and
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to exercise good judgment in making decisions.
All offers of employment are contingent upon an education and
records check satisfactory to Brown University
Recruiting Start Date:
Job Posting Title:
Catering Support Coordinator
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Position Work Location:
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any
staff position at Brown University you must submit an application
form for each position for which you believe you are qualified.
Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please
include a cover letter and resume with each position
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
As an EEO/AA employer
, Brown University provides
equal opportunity and prohibits discrimination, harassment and
retaliation based upon a person’s race, color, religion, sex, age,
national or ethnic origin, disability, veteran status, sexual
orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other
characteristic protected under applicable law, and caste, which is
protected by our University policies.