Accounting Technician (Accounting Technician II), Accounts
California State University, San Bernardino
Unit 7 - CSUEU - Clerical and Administrative
Support Services, Finance/Accounting, Probationary, Full Time,
Telecommute eligible (work onsite as scheduled and/or as requested
and telecommute as scheduled) Job Summary:
The Accounting Technician manage a high volume of invoices for
appropriateness of payment, obtaining payment approvals, data
entry, matching, accrual of use taxes, interpretation and
application of accounting policies and procedures, problem solving
and heavy customer service contact. They will audit and reconcile
accounts, including, but not limited to, Procard reconciliation,
vendor statement reconciliation, reporting and pulling files for
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Minimum Qualifications: Required Education and
- Responsibility includes auditing invoices against purchase
orders and receiving information to ensure vendor information,
product description, order quantity, unit price, and extended price
- Verify freight terms on purchase order and follow campus policy
on the payment of freight.
- Review payment terms, identify discounts and apply to payments
within allowable time frames.
- Must apply applicable State Administrative Manual regulations,
State Controller Office regulations, Chancellor Office, and campus
policies to the payment of these invoices.
- Identify those product and service purchases that require the
calculation of sales and/or use tax, determine percentage taxable,
and appropriately record tax in Accounts Payable system.
- Validate the remittance information to ensure payment is
delivered to the correct payee address.
- Review match exceptions on a semiweekly basis. Determine and
take appropriate action, which may include contacting Purchasing or
Receiving to investigate, the vendor for additional clarification,
the ordering department for information.
- Take independent action on correcting those match errors within
Accounts Payable jurisdiction.
- Direct Expenditure Payment Requests and Non-PO based
- Responsible for auditing direct expenditure payment requests to
determine if allowable within State and campus guidelines and
- Review justification/purpose and determine if adequate
information has been provided to explain benefit to the
- Verify any required backup documentation and signature
authorization on requests.
- Determine if Purchasing or A/P manager approval are required
- Determine and assess applicable sales or use tax to
- Ensure any applicable documents (registration, permit, license
fee, subscription, membership, or other forms) were completed by
requesting department and ready for submittal with check to
- Responsibility for monitoring assigned direct expenditures that
are received on a regular basis (monthly, quarterly, or annually -
such as utilities) where ongoing approval has been established from
the department in memo form to Accounts Payable.
- Responsible for ensuring anticipated invoices are received and
audited to specific guidelines associated with them.
- Independently identify and resolve problems with such invoices,
ensure missing invoices are obtained and paid prior to established
- Responsible for auditing independent contractor payments to
ensure proper protocol has been followed by requesting
- Understand, interpret, apply, and explain applicable State
Controller, Chancellor Office, and campus polices related to
Accounts to staff, faculty, and outside vendors. Make sound
independent decisions in terms of applying policies.
- Assist in reconciling travel and employee expenses, pcard
charges and help in the training of campus stakeholders.
- Processes payment requests and invoices for timely closing.
Handles accruals at year-end.
- Responsible for auditing and reconciling Procard statements,
review supporting documentation and determine if allowable expenses
are within campus guidelines and policies.
- Coordinate with Procurement to confront late reconciliation,
policy violations, and card suspensions.
- Review sales taxes and complete use tax accruals when
- Submit monthly use tax accrual spreadsheets for reporting.
- Responsible for verifying, interpreting, and applying data
vendor record information for each payment to ensure proper
identification and reporting of taxable income in accordance with
IRS and Franchise Tax Board regulations.
- Calculate and record tax liabilities collected for generating
IRS 1099 and FTB 592 tax forms, withholding State tax when
- Responsible for independently organizing and prioritizing
assigned invoice and document flow to ensure proper attention is
given to work in terms of issuing payments within terms and
resolving problems in a timely manner.
- Create vouchers (Purchase Order Vouchers, Regular Vouchers, and
Adjustment Vouchers) for payment into the PeopleSoft AP module:
enter vendor identification number, purchase order number when
applicable, account and fund information, invoice date, invoice
number and dollar amount(s).
- Enter sales/use tax, freight, apply discounts when applicable,
calculate and record reportable payments and any associated
- Verify remittance address information and request updates to
vendor files as required.
- Determine and enter critical date information for voucher:
payment due date for issuance of check, Accounting date for voucher
posting. Record significant voucher/invoice/vendor information on
comment panel of voucher.
- Handle incoming inquiries (telephone and written
communications) for vendors assigned to this position.
- Answer questions regarding payment status, follow up on missing
information, handle vendor stop payment requests and reissues, and
- Review statements on a regular basis, investigating aging
- Notify vendors of reason for non-payment, payment adjustments,
or provide check issuance information as required.
- Prepare various types of correspondence related to Accounts
Payable activities. This includes vendor correspondence: requesting
information or backup documentation such as freight bills,
completion of vendor data records, proof of publication; provide
detailed payment information, including reasons for disputed
invoices, policy explanations, and State payment requirements.
- Correspond with departments to inform them of rejected direct
expenditure or independent contractor requests, explaining
appropriate steps to be taken before resubmitting or explanation as
why the expenditure may not be submitted through the State.
- Correspond with Procurement to identifies problem purchase
orders and requested action or clarification.
- Generate payments according to set schedule.
- Audit paid files and reconcile against payments generated.
- Record payment in the appropriate log.
- Create appropriate reporting and archive files for future
- Prepare checks for mailing or pickup as appropriate.
- Obtain signatures on checks as required.
- File supporting documentation according to policy.
- All other job-related duties as assigned.
- Equivalent to three years of progressively responsible
financial record-keeping experience which has provided the above
knowledge and abilities.
- Any combination of education and experience which provides the
required knowledge and abilities.
- An understanding of general accounting concepts
- Experienced with a document imaging system and ERP system
(accounts payable module) and skilled in processing a high invoice
volume with accuracy
- Able to meet deadlines while offering the highest levels of
- The selected candidate must pass a pre-employment background
investigation to be hired for this position.
Compensation and Benefits:
- High school diploma, GED, or equivalent required
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, or related field a
- 2 to 3 years previous accounts payable, general accounting or
- Ability to process a high-volume of invoices and related
- Analyze and resolve complex problems
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Skilled in organizing work and setting priorities
- Ability to reconcile supplier accounts
- Ability to process invoices from onscreen images and in using
an online imaging system
- Microsoft Windows Office experience including Word, Excel, and
Outlook email software
- Peoplesoft Enterprise Systems
- Ability to fit in with a large team environment
- Working knowledge of accounting concepts such as debits,
credits, accruals, refunds, payment terms and discounts
- An understanding of tax reporting regulations (1099, 1042S and
- P-Card reconciliation experience a plus
- Previous experience in higher education a plus
- A courteous, professional demeanor and excellent customer
Anticipated Hiring Range: $3,600 - $3,900 per month
Classification Salary Range: $3,512 - $5,830 per month
The CSU system provides a comprehensive benefit package that
includes medical, dental and vision plans, membership in the
California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS), sick and
vacation time, and 14 paid holidays a year. Eligible employees are
also able to participate in the fee waiver education program. A
summary of benefit information can be found
Work status: Full-time/Non-Exempt/Probationary
Multiple Vacancies: This recruitment is to fill multiple
Academic year schedule: Monday through Friday (8:00 am - 5:00 pm),
Summer schedule: Monday through Thursday (7:00 am - 5:30 pm), some
The application deadline is Sunday, October 8,
As of January 1, 2022, the CSU Out-of-State Employment Policy
prohibits the hiring of employees to perform CSU-related work
outside the state of California.
California State University, San Bernardino in not a sponsoring
agency for staff or management positions (i.e. H1-B Visas).
Conditions of Employment
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal
records check) is required for employment. CSU will make a
conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the
background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is
discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified
information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background
check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee
who was conditionally offered the position.
The person holding this position is considered a `mandated
reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting
Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in
CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
CSUSB hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the
United States. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired
will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the
United States and to complete the required employment eligibility
verification form upon hire. See Form I-9 Acceptable Documents at
Statement of Commitment to Diversity
In our commitment to the furthering of knowledge and fulfilling our
educational mission, California State University, San Bernardino
seeks a campus climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes
respect for the entire variety of human experience. We welcome
people from all backgrounds, and we seek to include knowledge and
values from many cultures in the curriculum and extra-curricular
life of the campus community. We will create, promote, and maintain
activities and programs that further our understanding of
individual and group diversity. We will also develop and
communicate policies and promote values that discourage intolerance
California State University, San Bernardino is proud to be an
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We recruit, hire,
train, and administer all personnel actions without regard to race,
ethnicity, religion, color, caste, national origin, ancestry, age,
sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual
orientation, socioeconomic status, genetic information, medical
condition, disability, marital status, protected military or
veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.
This position adheres to CSU policies against Sex Discrimination,
Sexual Harassment, and Sexual Violence, including Domestic
Violence, Dating Violence, and Stalking. This requires completion
of Sexual Violence Prevention Training within 6 months of assuming
employment and on a two-year basis thereafter. (Executive Order
1096) For more information about Diversity & Inclusion at
CSUSB, please visit https://www.csusb.edu/human-resources/diversity-inclusion
We provide reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees
with disabilities. Applicants with questions about access or
requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the
application or hiring process should contact Nora Jean Fernandez,
ADA Manager at Nora.Fernandez@csusb.edu
CSUSB is a smoke and tobacco-free campus. See policy at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/6591951/latest/
In compliance with state and federal crime awareness and campus
security legislation, including The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of
Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, California
Education Code section 67380, and the Higher Education Opportunity
Act (HEOA), the Cal State San Bernardino Annual Security and Fire
Safety Report is available at: https://www.csusb.edu/clery-act
To view full description and to apply, visit: https://www.csusb.edu