The University of Alabama seeks an innovative and dynamic choral artist with a proven national record of achievement as a choral conductor-educator. The ideal candidate has expertise in teaching, mentoring, and inspiring current and future choral singers and educators. A demonstrated commitment to the role of highly trained conductor-educators and vocalists in the 21st century should be an active part of the candidate’s background and experience. Candidates should show ability and desire to empower, advocate for, and value a broad range of students of diverse identities and experiences as shown through pedagogy, mentoring, and related activities. Applicants with experience in K-12 choral education are particularly encouraged to apply.
This is a Renewable Contract Assistant Professor position. A terminal degree in choral studies (DMA or PhD) is required. ABD will be considered with degree conferral in hand by August 2024. There will be a preliminary Zoom screening of selected applicants, after which top candidates will be informed about in-person interviews.
The successful candidate will:
- Conduct the UA Tenor Bass Chorus
- Facilitate University Chorus (graduate student-led SATB choral ensemble)
- Teach assigned graduate-level conducting and/or choral literature courses
- Work closely with the Director of Choral Activities and graduate choral conducting students to foster a positive, inclusive, and innovative choral program in the areas of repertoire, curriculum, personnel, and community engagement
- Assist the Director of Choral Activities in developing holistic choral conducting graduate degrees
Other areas of conducting and teaching may include:
- Foundations of Conducting
- Auxiliary choral ensembles
- Other duties consistent with the candidate’s interests and expertise
- Actively recruit for the choral ensembles, the choral conducting undergraduate and graduate degree programs, and assist in recruiting for the comprehensive voice area
- Continue the development of a national and international reputation as a consummate choral conductor and pedagogue, consistent with the expectations of a comprehensive School of Music at a major research institution
- Support the University of Alabama’s commitment to cultivating a community which is dedicated to the promotion and support of inclusivity, diversity, equity, and access through educational strategies and advocacy
Start Date: August 2024