Job Posting Information
Job Posting Number
Director of Government and Community Relations
Regular or Contingent II
Desired Start Date
$107,000 - $120,000
Open Until Filled
Duties and Responsibilities
Bowie State University seeks an experienced government affairs
leader to advance the University’s agenda to federal, state and
local legislative bodies and agencies. Reporting to the Executive
Vice President, General Counsel and Chief of Staff to the
President, in the Office of Legal and Government Affairs, the
Director also brokers relationships with community leaders and
other stakeholders in support of the University’s mission and
priorities. The Director has a keen understanding of the political
landscape and works closely with the University System of Maryland
to promote legislative and fiscal priorities.
The Director of Government and Community Relations responsibilities
· Develop and implement comprehensive strategies to build and
maintain relationships with elected officials, government agencies,
community leaders, and other stakeholders.
· Work in collaboration with University senior leaders to develop
legislative priorities and strategy.
· Liaise with the University System of Maryland to advance System
and University legislative priorities.
· Work with Student Affairs to support student programming and
· Prepare comprehensive briefings, reports, fact sheets, talking
points, legislative testimony, budget testimony, fiscal
· Analyze legislation and policy, monitor relevant legislation, and
assess impact on the University.
· Draft amendments to bills.
· Correspond with elective officials and direct issues to the
appropriate University office.
· Respond to internal and external requests for information and
· Coordinate community engagement efforts.
· Provide staff support at hearings, meetings, community events,
and other events as needed.
· Facilitate student intern placement and engagement.
· Serve on University and external committees and workgroups as
· Work efficiently in a dynamic, deadline-driven environment.
· Handle special projects and duties and responsibilities as
· A Master’s degree in public policy, public administration, or a
related field required.
· Seven years’ experience working in government relations at the
federal, state and/or local level.
· Experience leading lobbying efforts on behalf of a higher
· Supervisory experience and strong leadership capability
· Budget management experience
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
· Thorough understanding of the legislative and executive processes
at the state and federal level, including the budget and
· Strong research and analytical skills
· Ability to synthesize, explain and present complex policy
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills with attention
to accuracy and detail
· Ability to work independently and manage multiple priorities with
· Self-motivated, proactive, focused, and responsive to internal
and external requests
· Positive attitude, flexibility, and willingness to work in a
collaborative, team environment
· Understanding of and strong commitment to Bowie State
· Strong commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
· Sound judgment and discretion
· Ability to represent the University in a positive, ethical manner
Conditions of Employment
Please be advised, COVID -19 vaccinations and boosters are not
required but strongly encouraged for faculty and staff to be
employed at Bowie State University. This protocol is subject to
BSU offers a generous benefits package, which includes 22 vacation
days, 13 holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and
retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their
dependents at any of the University System of Maryland
Posting Detail Information
Special Instructions to Applicant
Quick Link for Internal Postings
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you hold a Master’s Degree in public policy, public
administration or a related field?
- * Do you have seven (7) years’ experience working in government
relations at the federal, state and/or local level?
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application