Carnegie Mellon University's Department of Computing Services
operates in a dynamic environment characterized by continuous
change, propelled by the rapid advancements in technology, the
ever-growing demand for digital transformation, and a persistent
drive for operational efficiencies. A fundamental imperative for us
is the creation and enhancement of an inclusive environment, one
that empowers all our staff to learn, excel, and leverage their
unique strengths to adapt effectively to this evolving landscape. A
cornerstone of this endeavor is our deliberate commitment to
cultivating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive culture, where
contributors from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to bring their
distinct perspectives, fostering a rich tapestry of ideas that
enable us to innovate and serve more effectively.
In light of these objectives, we are actively seeking a Site
Reliability Engineer (SRE). This role offers an exciting
opportunity for individuals who thrive in a stimulating and
challenging work environment. As a member of our team, you will
play a crucial role in the management of servers within the central
group supporting our enterprise-wide systems, contributing to the
dynamic and ever-evolving sphere of Computing Services at Carnegie
Your core responsibilities will include:
- Systems administration and support: Maintain and administer
UNIX servers and related computer systems, including operating
systems software, applications software, and all configurations.
Examples of maintenance include performing routine system hardware
and software upgrades on a periodic basis. This may include larger
- Systems Development: Scripting or programming experience,
particularly for automating administrative tasks and deploying
Infrastructure as Code solutions. The ability to support, maintain
and develop these infrastructure tools and associated code.
- Testing and troubleshooting: Subcategory of "systems
administration and support" and "systems development" specific to
higher level problem resolution and quality assurance.
- Documentation: Ensure that all system administrator projects
and procedures are documented, including design documents, ongoing
status reports, and summary reports. Document and log all changes
to system software and configurations. Edit and revise project
justifications, project documentation, and other reports and
- Systems Configuration: Subcategory of "systems administration
and support" specific to configuration of various software
packages, both involving our internal support structure and target
- Architecting systems: This category includes interfacing with
the user(s) and sponsor(s) and all other stakeholders in order to
determine their (evolving) needs; generating the highest level of
solutions requirements, based on the user's needs and other
constraints such as cost and schedule; performing cost-benefit
analyses to determine whether requirements are best met by manual,
software, or hardware functions; partitioning large solutions into
(successive layers of) subsystems and components; ensuring that a
- Keep current with new technologies. Continue to develop
leadership/professional qualifications through continuing
education, further schooling, and technical/professional
- Responding to trouble tickets and other requests from
- Other Duties as assigned.
Inclusion and cultural sensitivity are valued competencies at CMU.
Therefore, we are in search of a team member who can effectively
interact with a varied population of diverse audiences. We are
looking for someone who shares our values and who will support the
mission of the university through their work.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field.
- At least 4 years of UNIX systems administration experience in
an enterprise environment supporting High Availability
- Thorough knowledge of programming code (e.g. Ruby, Python,
Perl) and version control systems (Git) to support systems, tools,
APIs, and internal processes.
- Deploy and support modern RHEL releases and supporting Systems
Management tools (e.g. Puppet Enterprise, Ansible, Terraform,
- Or a combination of education and relevant experience from
which comparable knowledge is demonstrated.
Are you interested in this exciting opportunity? Apply
- Successful background check
Staff – Regular
Full Time/Part time
- Please visit “ Why Carnegie Mellon ” to learn more about
becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change
- Click here to view a listing of employee benefits
- Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity
- Statement of Assurance