Drexel University is now the steward of the Atwater Kent Collection
(AKC)—the collection of the former Philadelphia History Museum at
the Atwater Kent—held in the public trust. As its steward, Drexel
is continuing the mission of the former Museum: collecting,
preserving, and interpreting a collection of 130,000+ objects
amassed to tell the important stories of Philadelphia’s past and
give context for the present. Drexel’s goal is to make this city
history collection accessible as a “museum without walls”—for
research, interpretive, and educational use—through an Online
Collection, loan program, exhibitions, and public programming.
Founded in 1891 in Philadelphia, Drexel is a comprehensive global
research university and experiential learning leader. This began
with and continues a comprehensive collection evaluation, including
an inventory, object research, and ongoing work to improve the
Collection Database to facilitate access and use of the AKC.
- Maintain the intellectual and physical control and care of
objects including loans, collection objects, and courier needs in
conjunction with a rigorous schedule of long-term and temporary
loans and exhibitions.
- Maintains collections records including loan agreements,
condition reports, accession records, location changes, insurance
records, transaction files, and collection inventories for
collections, and for incoming and outgoing exhibitions. (Physical
and digital records). Maintains registration aspects of Collections
Management Policy. Makes suggestions for updates and revisions as
- Manages assigned loans communication and documents alongside
Director of Collections both domestic and international. Works
cooperatively with appropriate staff to arrange transportation and
shipment of objects, either incoming or outgoing as well as objects
used in curricular programming.
- Maintain quality and accuracy of object documentation in the
current collections management system (PastPerfect) and DAMS.
- Works with appropriate staff in installation and
de-installation of exhibits and temporary exhibitions. Oversight of
packing and unpacking objects for loan or exhibition and serves as
courier for museum loans as necessary. Works with conservators
retained by the Museum to care for collections needs.
- Moves objects to and from storage as required for preparation,
exhibit, conservation, photography, loan, or routine maintenance
- Performs routine cleaning and maintenance of collections
objects as necessary and appropriate; informs Director of any
- Ensures compliance with various laws and regulations pertaining
to collection items such as the Endangered Species Act, U.S.
Customs, and related regulations, such as U.S. Fish and Wildlife
regulations. Stays current with new technologies and
- Assists with Registration related work with other Drexel
collections as needed/Other duties as assigned.
- Master’s Degree in museum studies with a specialty in
collections administration or Equivalent
- A minimum of two years of experience in an art or history
museum is required, along with demonstrated knowledge of
collections care and management.
- Experience working with DAMS (Digital Asset Management
- The ability to coordinate and manage multiple, often
complicated, concurrent projects.
- Demonstrated attention to detail.
- The ability to develop, implement, and track project
- Strong understanding of proper documentation for acquisitions,
collections objects, loans, and other administrative
- Knowledge of appropriate care, handling, and storage for a wide
range of formats.
- Ability to work independently and with a team.
- Typically sitting at a desk/table
- Typically standing, walking
- Lifting demands ≤ 25lbs
- Typically bending, crouching, stooping
- Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, Philadelphia, PA
This position is classified as Exempt
with a grade of K,
$54,630.00 - $81,940.00
. The offered salary is dependent upon
internal equity and the successful candidate’s competencies,
education, and experience.
For more information regarding Drexel’s Professional Staff salary
structure and Compensation Guidelines & Policies, please visit
the Compensation and
Please review the
for some information on our benefits
Special Instructions to the Applicant
Please make sure you upload your CV/resume and cover letter when
submitting your application.
Review of applicants will begin once a suitable candidate pool is
Oct 10 2023 Eastern Daylight Time
Nov 10 2023 Eastern Standard Time