Ecosystem Science & Soc Center
NAU aims to be the nation's preeminent engine of opportunity,
vehicle of economic mobility, and driver of social impact by
delivering equitable postsecondary value in Arizona and
- This position is subject to the availability of funding. The
incumbent is not eligible for Service Professional non-renewal
notice, or Classified Staff layoff or recall status.
- This position is an on-site position which requires the
incumbent to complete their work primarily at an NAU site, campus,
or facility with or without accommodation. Opportunities for remote
work are rare.
Northern Arizona University is seeking applications for one
Postdoctoral Scholar position focused on using isotopes/radiocarbon
to understand fossil fuel use in urban environments in Arizona.
This person will join a collaborative team of researchers in the
Center for Ecosystem Science and Society (ECOSS) and the School of
Environment and Sustainability (SES). The Postdoctoral Scholar will
work on projects focused on measuring and mapping fossil fuel use
in the urban environments of Arizona using the primary measurement
of radiocarbon in annual plants. The work will include field work
collecting samples, laboratory work preparing and running
radiocarbon samples, and helping to develop community science
sampling efforts. The Postdoctoral Scholar will have the unique
opportunity to work closely with a diverse team of researchers at
NAU focused on carbon cycle science (Ted Schuur, Kevin Gurney,
Helen Rowe) and a larger interdisciplinary urban studies team
located across multiple institutions in and out of Arizona. The
positions will be based in Flagstaff, AZ.
Research & Publications - 65%
- Work collaboratively with research team in research activities
including data collection, evaluation, and designing analyses to
address primary research questions.
- Lead data analysis, modeling, coding, and interpretation.
- Design and implement research protocols and adapt standard
procedures and methods, in particular focusing on preparing and
analyzing samples for radiocarbon analysis.
- Participate in radiocarbon analysis in conjunction with staff
- Read scientific literature, participate in scientific
discussions with other members of the research team and lab, and
attend mandatory lab and project meetings.
- Co-author or author research papers and manuscripts for
publication and present them at conferences and workshops.
Data Metrics - 10%
- Collect, curate, synthesize, and analyze research data.
- Develop code, perform data analysis, and develop efficient data
analysis pipelines and/or tools as appropriate to project
- Display data for presentation in research conferences and for
manuscript preparation; use graphics and statistical software to
analyze and present data.
- Document and archive code using GitHub, or other version
Grant & Management - 10%
- Work within the grant-specific project requirements.
- Assist project PIs with managing grant funds according to
Academic/Lab/Community Liaison - 10%
- Perform assigned lab duties to assist in the maintenance of
equipment, supplies, reagents or the general operation of the
radiocarbon lab, and various other duties or projects as assigned -
as appropriate to project goals.
- Work with community science efforts to develop sample
collection strategy including workshops, including writing reports
and public outreach documents in conjunction with other project
- Promote an inclusive and welcoming work environment for
Other - 5%
- Other duties as assigned.
- PhD in Environmental Science, Carbon Cycle Science,
Isotope/Radiocarbon and/or a related field.
- Record of publishing peer-reviewed research in scientific
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Familiarity with the principles of carbon cycle science in
ecosystems and urban systems.
- Expertise with quantitative statistical analyses in R or other
- Excellent quantitative and analytical skills.
- Strong communication skills, as demonstrated by publications
and presentations at professional meetings.
- Organizational and project management skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to take initiative and complete tasks without direct
- Innovation, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to conduct spatial analysis and manage large
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a research team and
with individuals from a variety of diverse background.
Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the
following: a criminal background investigation, an employment
history verification and a degree verification (in some cases)
prior to employment. You may also be required to complete a
fingerprint background check. Additionally, as an employer in the
state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal
E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new
employees' right to work in the United States. Finally, each year
Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report
. The report is a result
of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery
reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed
calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU
uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report
crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the
Fire Safety Report
is combined with the Annual
Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus as this
campus has on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire
safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing
and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities. If you
would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the
NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the
department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
Anticipated salary range is $61,626 to $68,474. Annual salary
commensurate with candidate's qualifications and related
This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair
Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and therefore will not earn overtime or
compensatory time for additional time worked.
Post-Doctoral Scholars are hired on a contract basis, renewable
each fiscal year for a maximum of 4 renewals (5 years) according to
terms of the Arizona Board of Regents' Conditions of Post-Doctoral Service
. NAU offers
an excellent benefit package to Post-Doctoral Scholars including
generous health, dental and vision insurance; 10 days of vacation
and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and
qualified family members. New employees are eligible for benefits
on the first day of the pay period following their enrollment,
after their employment date. Employees will have 31 days from their
start date to enroll in benefits. Participation in NAU retirement
plans is not available to Post-Doctoral Scholars. More information
on benefits at NAU is available at the NAU HR benefits page
Learning and Development
Your career at Northern Arizona University includes the opportunity
for professional development. New
employee on-boarding training
includes courses to be completed
within the first 30 days.
January 31, 2024 at 11:59 p.m.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on
this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the
"Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you
need assistance completing your application there are instructions
available on the Human Resources website
or in person in the
Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus
- on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable
accommodation to participate in the hiring process, please contact
the Disability Resources Office at 928-523-8773, DR@nau.edu
, or PO Box 5633, Flagstaff AZ
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal
Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities,
veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
Know Your Rights Poster
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps,
and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.
To apply, visit https://hr.peoplesoft.nau.edu/psp/ph92prta/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1&JobOpeningId=607453&PostingSeq=1