Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota seeks to hire an experienced and strategic Chief Financial Officer (CFO) eager to contribute to its Lasallian Catholic mission of awakening, nurturing, and empowering learners to ethical lives of service and leadership. Reporting to the President, the CFO will play a pivotal role in ensuring the financial health and stability of the organization while contributing to its overall mission of academic excellence and growth. The ideal candidate will possess a deep understanding of financial management in the higher education sector and exceptional leadership and analytical skills. In this position, you will spend 20% of your time traveling between our three campuses. The CFO will lead and supervise Information Technology, Geospatial Services, Budget and Planning, and auxiliary services. Please see the position profile for further details about the position and Saint Mary's University.
Financial Strategy: Develop and execute a comprehensive financial strategy that aligns with the institution’s goals and objectives, ensuring long-term financial sustainability.
Budgeting and Planning: Lead the annual budgeting process, working closely with department heads and senior leadership to allocate resources effectively and monitor budget performance. Will ensure all areas of the university have developed P&L statements and means to assess viability related to this while benchmarking with follow-up toward yearly goals set.
Financial Reporting: Oversee preparing and presenting accurate and timely financial reports.
Cash Flow Management: Ensure optimal cash flow by monitoring receivables, payables, and other financial transactions and implementing strategies to maintain liquidity.
Endowment Management: Manage the institution’s endowment fund, making strategic investment decisions to support long-term growth and sustainability.
Investment Management: Manage the institution’s investment portfolio, making informed decisions to maximize returns while managing risk within acceptable parameters.
Fundraising and Grants: Collaborate with the development team to secure grants, donations, and other funding sources to support the institution’s programs and initiatives.
Compliance and Regulations: Stay up-to-date with financial regulations and compliance requirements specific to the higher education sector, ensuring the institution’s adherence to all relevant laws.
Risk Management: Identify financial risks and develop mitigation strategies, safeguarding the institution’s financial assets and reputation.
Treasury Management and Banking: Experience with procuring debt facilities and managing debt covenants/ratios.
Executive Leadership: Provide purpose-driven leadership to functional teams, fostering a culture of collaboration, professional development, and operational excellence.
- Leads the AVP for Information Technology in developing and implementing coordinated institutional plans for the university’s information technology, including hardware, infrastructure, networking, applications management, and data management.
- Leads the Director of Geospatial Services in the bidding and award of revenue-generating external contract work for natural resource assessment, geographic analysis, and digital mapping projects.
- Advises the President, the Finance and Audit Committee, and the Facilities and Properties Committee of the Board of Trustees on all financial and administrative matters relating to these committees' oversight through regular reports and meetings.
- Works closely with the Board of Trustees to facilitate strategic financial decisions.
- In collaboration with the President, reviews and approves with the Vice President for Facilities all physical plant acquisitions; building construction, renovations, and acquisition; and disposal of land owned by the university.
- Plays a key role in position requests and approvals based on the unit level needs and financial resources.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND FUNCTIONS
- Demonstrated expertise in strategic financial planning, financial analysis, asset management, debt financing, budgeting, and accounting.
- Sincere willingness to learn about and engage the Lasallian Catholic mission of the university.
- Familiarity with regulatory requirements and financial reporting standards in the higher education industry.
- Exceptional communication skills with the ability to present complex financial information to non-financial stakeholders.
- Strategic thinking with the ability to anticipate financial trends and make informed recommendations.
- Proficiency in using proformas and modeling to evaluate current operations and possible new program offerings and related investments.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and the ability to mentor and motivate a diverse finance team.
- Skills that promote community, collaboration, and collegiality among Cabinet members and the university at large, especially in marketing and communications.
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration, or a related field. Master’s degree or CPA designation preferred.
- Proven track record of at least 15 years in financial leadership roles with 5+ years of executive experience, with a significant portion of experience in the higher education sector.
- Special consideration will be given to administrators with experience and formation at Lasallian Catholic institutions, especially in higher education.
Apply online at https://www.smumn.edu/about/offices-services/human-resources/employment-opportunities/ and include a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references.
Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota believes inclusion and human dignity contributes to a robust academic and work environment and is critical to achieving the University's mission in an increasingly diverse society. Individuals with expertise and diverse skills from underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply. Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. The successful candidate must support, respect, and advance the mission of Saint Mary's University as a Lasallian Catholic institution.
Saint Mary’s offers a comprehensive benefit package including health, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, flexible spending, retirement pension plan, and both undergraduate and graduate tuition remission plans.