The Campus Controller’s Office at CU Boulder
applications for a Campus Accountant!
University of Colorado Boulder is a Tier One, nationally
competitive research university with a $2.00B annual operating
budget. The University is focused on cultivating its instruction
and research, increasing its innovative impact at the national and
international level through collaboration, transformation, and
This full-time position reports to the Accounting Manager within
the Campus Controller’s Office and works closely with campus
departmental finance and accounting staff. This position is
responsible for providing accounting expertise, internal controls,
guidance and interpretation of CU’s fiscal policies and procedures,
and post-audit financial transaction management. This position is
responsible for assigned CU Boulder departments and serves the
campus needs by properly recording, classifying, reconciling,
correcting and querying transactions. This position also provides
various trainings throughout the year to assist and mentor campus
users on proper policies, procedures, financial systems, and other
topics of interest.
This position exists to:
- Assure proper accounting of the General, Auxiliary, Restricted,
Loan, and Plant funds at the University of Colorado Boulder in
accordance with all Federal, State, University and campus rules and
- Provide timely and accurate reports and related information to
external constituents, and internally as requested.
- Provide consulting, training, and mentoring to campus personnel
on the proper administration of General, Auxiliary, Restricted,
Loan, and Plant use of the PeopleSoft Financial System (and new
business processes associated therewith), and departmental roles
and responsibilities in the administration of its funds.
- Manage any relevant subsystems related to accounting
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a
culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students
dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We
are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and
individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
The Campus Controller’s Office maintains and supports CU Boulder’s
fiscal responsibility through accurate financial accounting and
reporting and is in compliance with laws, regulations,
policies/procedures, and contract requirements for sponsored
projects. We provide oversight, assistance, and training in
financial stewardship for the Boulder campus.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
- Understands and reviews campus departmental operations to
ensure that they are in compliance with applicable accounting and
- Develops sound campus business management accounting practices
by examining State, campus management, and campus departmental
- Prepares weekly, quarterly, and year-end journal entries in
Excel and uploads journal entries into the PeopleSoft finance
system for review and approval.
- Creates and assures accuracy of year-end financial statements,
related footnotes, and workpapers for audit and publication for the
General, Auxiliary, Agency, Gift, and Loan by developing,
reviewing, compiling, comparing, analyzing and interpreting
accounting system sources and generated documents for correctness,
comparability, and appropriateness.
- Directs and oversees Boulder campus financial transactions in
the General, Auxiliary, Agency, Gift, Loan, and Renewal &
Replacement funds. Also controls and detects irregularities or
unusual developments; assesses potential impact on campus financial
reporting and recommends proper accounting treatments by:
- Interpreting, and applying Generally Accepted Accounting
Principles, Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB)
standards, National Association of College and University Business
Officers (NACUBO) standards, Colorado Higher Education Standards,
State Fiscal Rules, Colorado Department of Administration (DOA)
Rules, TABOR (Amendment 1) Guidelines, University of Colorado
Policies and Procedures, and Financial Reporting System
- Performing post-auditing through exception reports including
abnormal balances, unchanged balances, suspended accounts
activities, cash deficit controls, budget deficits controls,
recharge activity review, use of ID rev/exp review, and other
exception reviews as necessary. Assures campus user compliance with
above by instructing and advising correct application and practice
of these principles and standards.
- Develops and produces, as needed, monthly and quarterly
General, Auxiliary, Gift, Agency, Loan, Renewal & Replacement
reports and variance analyses for Office of State Controller,
Office of University Controller, UCB – Budget and Fiscal Planning
(BFP), and campus management by compiling, analyzing, and
interpreting finance system data, COFRS data, and system-generated
documents and discussing fund activities with campus departmental
users for changes.
- Follow-up reviews on internal audit reports and reports the
current status of management actions on internal audit findings to
- Performs credit card business practice evaluations and makes
appropriate recommendations on the creation of credit card
- Other duties as assigned.
- Provides, coordinates, and plans for consulting, training,
advising, coaching, and mentoring services to campus personnel on
the identification and investigation of current accounting issues;
the development of accounting methods and business processes; the
implementation of accounting related projects; the design of
customized managerial reports; the preparation of service center
rate calculations; and the facilitation of accounting opportunities
- Develops, designs, and implements optimum training and customer
- Provides, coordinates, and plans for training campus personnel
on the use of the PeopleSoft system.
- Discusses fund activities with campus users and serves as
liaison between campus user departments and State audit staff,
University System Administration, and Campus management.
- Services as the financial specialist for assigned CU Boulder
- Seek opportunities for professional development and training
for self and unit.
- Provide suggestions for growth and development of the campus
accounting area and CCO.
What You Should Know
- Assists with training and implementation of system upgrades,
such as PeopleSoft or Cognos.
- Identify areas to improve service excellence to campus
What We Can Offer
- Hybrid work environment. 2 days working in office, 3 days
- The salary range for this position is $53,000 -$56,000 per
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits
, including medical, dental,
retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The
University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in
Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education
environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder
Be ambitious. Be impactful. Be Boulder.
What We Require
What You Will Need
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
with a major in Accounting or related field.
- Professional accounting experience may substitute for the
bachelor’s degree on a year for year basis.
- One year of accounting or closely related professional
- Equivalent combination of education and experience may
What We Would Like You to Have
- Advanced Microsoft Access and Excel skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven ability as a problem solver.
- Demonstrated customer service orientation.
- Demonstrated public presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a wide range of people.
- A master’s degree from an accredited college or university with
a major in Accounting or related field.
- Two years of accounting experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge of GAAP, University and state accounting
and fiscal rules.
- Experience and knowledge of governmental or higher education
- Working knowledge of PeopleSoft or related enterprise
- Advanced Microsoft Access and Excel skills.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
1. A current resume.
2. A cover letter that specifically tells us how your background
and experience align with the requirements, qualifications, and
responsibilities of the position.
We may request references at a later time.
Please apply by October 10, 2023, for consideration.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For
consideration, please apply through CU Boulder Jobs.
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name:
Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: