SAU Tech, a two-year public college servicing south-central Arkansas, seeks an innovative, inspirational, and visionary leader to serve as Chancellor. The preferred start date is January 2024.
For more information, view the Search Profile
The Southern Arkansas University System Board of Trustees seeks applications and nominations for the position of Chancellor to serve as the chief executive officer for the SAU Tech campus. The Chancellor reports to the System President. The next Chancellor should be an innovative, inspirational, and visionary leader committed to academic excellence and student success. The Chancellor should provide a collaborative work environment for faculty and staff to achieve goals that best lead to positive student outcomes. The Chancellor should communicate with and respond to local business and industry leaders to develop programs that meet workforce development demands, promote and involve Tech in the community, and collaborate with external stakeholders to ensure fulfillment of Tech’s mission and overall success.
- Promotion of SAU Tech and the SAU system and engagement in resource development and fundraising (both private and grant), and service leadership for the community
- Participation in economic development and business/industry recruitment efforts and outreach to community and business industry to meet training and workforce development requirements of the region
- Ensure that campus enrollment, completion, retention, and student success meet the campus and system-level metrics established for the College
- Inform and execute strategic initiatives of the College
- Communicate and create a culture of accountability and empowerment relative to established metrics for enrollment, completion, retention, and student success to campus-level leaders
- Ensure the assessment of campus facility/space needs and investigation of alternative space solutions in alignment with the overall campus vision, key areas of focus (enrollment, completion, retention, student success), and associated metrics
- Employ campus-level faculty and administrative and support staff necessary to successfully meet campus vision, key areas of focus (enrollment, completion, retention, student success), and associated campus- and system-level metrics to ensure efficient campus operations (financial and fundraising)
- Assure compliance with System and College policies and procedures
- Develop, update, and communicate short- and long-term goals for the College tied to the strategic plan, including: programming; facilities; financials; fundraising; enrollment; student, faculty, and staff retention; and completion, and placement goals
- Align College strategy and goals to support campus-wide understanding, respect, and support for diversity among students, faculty, and staff
- Lead campus-level efforts to ensure state-of-the-art technology for students, faculty, and staff
- Earned doctorate with at least five years of successful experience in higher education or related field
- Demonstrated success in administration of finances, budget, facilities, and personnel
- Experience with the Higher Learning Commission (or other regional accreditation agencies)
- Experience in senior leadership position
EXPERIENCE, SKILLS, AND KNOWLEDGE
- Proficiency in oral and written communication and excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to lead strategic planning processes, academic, and student life, program development, assessment, and recruitment
- Ability to develop successful partnerships with public schools, community groups, governmental agencies, and business and industry
- Ability to successfully work with state and federal government to maximize good relations and appropriate funding for operation
ABOUT SAU TECH
Located in Camden, Southern Arkansas University Tech is a two-year comprehensive public college emphasizing technical education and is committed to providing quality educational programs delivered through various technologies and methodologies. Known for its friendly, close-knit community, SAU Tech continues to build on its dedication to student achievement and to grow its program offerings.
Southern Arkansas University Tech operates under the governance of the Board of Trustees of the Southern Arkansas University System located in Magnolia, Arkansas, and is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. SAU Tech is unique from other two-year colleges in Arkansas in that it operates the Arkansas Fire Training Academy, Arkansas Environmental Training Academy, a post-secondary career academy, and an adult education center that provides services to five surrounding counties. In addition, the college is one of only two in Arkansas to offer accredited programs in both mathematical engineering and electrical engineering. With a student faculty ration of 9:1, students are more engaged, focused, and disciplined.
The college opened in 1968 and has an average enrollment of more than 1,800 students. Tech employs more than 160 faculty and staff and is located inside the Highland Industrial Park in East Camden, Arkansas. In addition to small class sizes, remarkable graduation and transfer rates, and low cost of attendance, Tech also offers online degree programs and provides student housing. Opportunities for student engagement outside the classroom include NJCAA softball, baseball, and men’s and women’s basketball, as well as cheerleading, choir, and the Tech Scholars Program.
EAST CAMDEN, ARKANSAS
East Camden, Arkansas, is located in south-central Arkansas in Ouachita County. Originally built by the U.S. Navy as a settlement for the Shumaker Naval Ammunition Depot, East Camden is now recognized for the 18,780 acre Highland Industrial Park, making it the manufacturing center of South Arkansas. The Park provides warehouse and manufacturing space to firms that provide and produce premier defense, arms, aerospace/aviation, and technology products, such as Aerojet Rocketdyne, General Dynamics, Lockheed Martin, and Raytheon, and Spectra Technologies. SAU Tech’s location in the Park affords Tech numerous partnerships with major industry partners.
The Ouachita River, which flows through East Camden, nearby White Oak Lake State Park, Felsenthal National Wildlife Refuge, and Lake DeGray State Park all provide outdoor enthusiasts opportunities for fun on Arkansas bodies of water. The Ouachita Mountains are within a short drive from East Camden, and provide trails, waterfalls, and stunning natural scenery.
East Camden has a lower-than-national-average cost of living. Residents with PK-12 students have nearby public school choices with the Harmony Grove School District and Camden Fairview School District. Private schools are located within a short driving distance from the East Camden/Camden area. Southern Arkansas University is located in neighboring Magnolia, Arkansas.
APPLICATION & NOMINATION PROCESS
Confidential inquiries are welcomed, and nominations are invited.
Applications: Application packet must include the following:
a) Detailed cover letter addressing the duties and qualifications
b) Current curriculum vitae
c) Complete contact information (names, addresses, email addresses, and phone numbers) of five references (These references will not be contacted without applicant’s consent.) Non-listed references may be contacted at the final stages of the search after consent is received from the candidate. Additional information will be requested upon submission of an application packet.
Submit application materials to SAUT-Chancellor@myersmcrae.com by October 23, 2023, for best consideration. The search continues until the position is filled.
Nominations: Submit nominations to SAUT-Chancellorfirstname.lastname@example.org with complete contact and e-mail information for the individual being nominated.
Consultant: Jennifer Barfield, Executive Vice President of Myers McRae Executive Search and Consulting, is assisting Southern Arkansas University Tech with this search. Request a conversation by e-mailing JenniferBarfield@myersmcrae.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy Statement: The policy of Southern Arkansas University Tech is to comply with all federal and state nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action laws, orders and regulations. The College will not engage in discrimination or harassment against any person because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, pregnancy, disability, sexual orientation, unfavorable discharge from the military, status as a disabled veteran or a veteran of the Vietnam era. Discrimination is prohibited by Title VI and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and Sections 503 and 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, including all subsequent amendments and administrative regulations adopted thereunder by the Department of Education. This nondiscrimination policy applies to admissions, employment, access to and treatment in the various programs and activities of the College.