About the Opportunity
Reports to: Director, Associate Director
Summary of Position
The Mills College at Northeastern University Educational Talent
Search (METS) TRIO Program is funded by the U.S. Department of
Education. METS assists low-income, first generation, middle school
and high school students in the City of Oakland by disseminating
information on the college preparation process. Under the
supervision of the Associate Director, the Program Assistant is
responsible for assisting with all aspects of administration of the
METS Program; to provide academic support and general advising for
Essential Job Functions:
- Assist in providing comprehensive academic advising, cultural
awareness, and diversity workshops to program participants.
- Assist in providing a transcript evaluation and develop an
individual academic plan (IAP) with program participants.
- In collaboration with METS team plan and supervise all METS
related activities, events, field trips and college tours.
- In collaboration with METS team, assist with coordination and
implementation of all facets of the METS Summer Enrichment
- Support the Summer Program Instructors by implementing
classroom management policies and procedures necessary to maintain
a productive, effective classroom environment.
- Provide individual and group tutorial sessions for student
- Participate in METS staff meetings.
Education and Training:
- Experience and ability to effectively work with students with
diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds
similar to METS Program participants.
- Mission-driven and passionate about programs designed to
identify and provide services for individuals from disadvantaged
- Ability to coordinate and facilitate academic support programs
including advising, workshops, fieldtrips, assessment, follow-up
and resource referral.
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication
- Ability to take direction, prioritize, and work
- Demonstrated experience-solving problems including conflict
resolution. Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure or on
deadline, maintaining a professional composure when dealing with
common problems that occur in events and classroom settings.
Physical, Mental and Environmental Demands:
- Bachelor's degree or working towards a degree, preferably in
education, social work, psychology, or related field
- Must have experience working with middle or high school youth
in similar academic/educational outreach program
- Familiarity with TRIO programs or similar college access
- Work primarily involves sitting for long hours on the computer,
which requires attention to detail and high levels of accuracy.
There are several deadlines associated with this position, which
may cause some stress. Some light lifting may be required.
- Work involves some travel to and from Mills College and target
school sites in Oakland.
- Must have a valid California driver's license, safe driving
record, current automobile insurance, and use of personal car.
- Requires passing fingerprinting and a background check.
This position description is not intended to contain a
comprehensive list of activities, duties, or responsibilities.
Additional duties may be assigned based on business operational
Northeastern University considers factors such as candidate work
experience, education and skills when extending an offer.
Northeastern has a comprehensive benefits package for benefit
eligible employees. This includes medical, vision, dental, paid
time off, tuition assistance, wellness & life, retirement- as
well as commuting & transportation. Visit https://hr.northeastern.edu/benefits/
for more information.
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking
to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and
staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its
forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect
that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, religion,
color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability
status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable
To learn more about Northeastern University's commitment and
support of diversity and inclusion, please see
To apply, visit https://northeastern.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/careers/job/Oakland-CA/Program-Assistant_R116904