Title: Museum Attendant
The position of Museum Attendant at the Bates College Museum of Art
combines activities of visitor services and security for
exhibitions and works of art on exhibition in the museum galleries.
Museum Attendants work to provide a welcoming environment to museum
visitors and provide information and assistance regarding
exhibitions, while ensuring the safety of artworks. Attendants also
occasionally provide some administrative support to the
- Welcome visitors and provide information related to exhibitions
but also for the Arts Center and other general information
- Continuous monitoring of galleries to provide security for
works of art in gallery areas.
- Ensure visitors do not touch or endanger works of art.
- Answer museum telephone and take messages and forward calls as
- Keep track of museum attendance.
- Handle sales of museum merchandise.
- Provide welcoming, friendly environment for museum
- Occasionally provide some administrative support in the form of
word processing, spreadsheets, and clerical work.
- Perform various duties and tasks as requested by supervisor or
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Some college courses particularly related to art history
Skills and Knowledge
- 1+ years’ experience in visitor or other public welcoming and
informational setting desired.
- 1+ Administrative assistant experience desired.
- 1+ years of gallery, museum or other security experience
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to develop and
maintain collegial relationships with clientele such as students,
staff, faculty, co-workers and the public.
- Keen attention to detail and surrounding activity.
- Proficiency in basic data management systems and basic computer
applications (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Willingness and ability to learn additional applications as
- Ability and willingness to work weekends, evenings, on-call and
other non-traditional schedules.
- Personal commitment to excellence and the mission of a top-tier
small liberal arts college.
- Commitment to equity and inclusion, and serving the needs of a
culturally and educationally diverse community.
Bates College offers competitive salaries, access
to the library and athletic facilities, and a supportive, collegial
environment in a drug- and smoke-free workplace. This position may
accrue leave in accordance with the Maine Earned Paid Leave law
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
Bates College is committed to the principle of equal opportunity
and providing an educational and work environment free from
discrimination. The college prohibits discrimination on the basis
of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity or gender expression, age, disability,
genetic information or veteran status and other legally protected
statuses in the recruitment and admission of its students, in the
administration of its education policies and programs, or in the
recruitment of its faculty and staff. Bates College adheres to all
applicable state and federal equal opportunity laws and
regulations. All college faculty, staff, students, contractors,
visitors, and volunteers are responsible for understanding and
complying with the Non-Discrimination Policy.
Inquiries concerning the college’s policies, compliance with
applicable laws, statutes, and regulations (such as Title VII,
Title IX, and ADA/Section 504), and complaints may be directed to
Gwen Lexow, Title IX Officer, 207-786-6445 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Bates is internationally recognized as a leading liberal arts
college, attracting 2,000 students from across the U.S. and around
Since 1855, Bates has been dedicated to educating the whole person
through creative and rigorous scholarship in a collaborative
residential community. Committed to opportunity and excellence,
Bates has always admitted students without regard to gender, race,
religion, or national origin.
Cultivating intellectual discovery and informed civic action, Bates
prepares leaders sustained by a love of learning and zeal for
responsible stewardship of the wider world. Bates engages the
forces — intellectual trends, demographic changes, and technology —
that are transforming higher education and the world into which our
Bates has highly competitive admissions, graduates over 90 percent
of its entering students, and more than half of its alumni earn
graduate degrees. Bates employs 200 faculty members and 550
The college is proud of deep roots in the Lewiston/Auburn
community, Maine’s second-largest urban area with a population of
approximately 65,000. Bates is located on a beautiful, 133-acre,
traditional New England campus in Lewiston, an emerging city with
an entrepreneurial climate, a lively arts scene, and a dynamic
business community. Bates is 35 miles north of Portland, 140 miles
north of Boston, and 350 miles north of New York City.
Sep 20 2023 Eastern Daylight Time