Director, Aviation Programs ($10,000 Hiring Bonus)
Guilford Technical Community College ( GTCC ) is currently the
fourth largest of NC. Community College System’s 58 institutions.
On our six campuses and through our online offerings, we annually
serve approximately 27,500 students, 60% of whom are students of
color. We strive to offer programs that provide equitable
educational outcomes for all students representing all backgrounds,
including, but not limited to, ability, age, gender, race,
religion, sexual orientation, and socioeconomic status. At GTCC, we
are committed to cultivating a workplace culture of inclusion that
welcomes, develops, supports, and empowers employees. We are
looking for an exceptional leader, who shares our institutional
values, to join the team as our Director of Aviation
The Director of Aviation Programs provides leadership that supports
the mission, vision and strategic goals of the College. The
position is responsible for the development, implementation,
evaluation and management of assigned instructional programs (both
credit and non-credit), services, budget and employees. The
Director will provide leadership in curriculum development,
academic assessment, strategic planning and budgeting. He or she
employs enrollment management and retention strategies and fosters
collaborative working relationships with internal and external
counterparts to communicate and coordinate initiatives that support
College and local economic development initiatives. The job
includes oversight of the following programs: Aviation Maintenance
Technology (Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic), Aviation Electronics
Technology, Aviation Management, Career Pilot, Aerospace
Manufacturing and various short-term customized aviation programs
in the non-credit area.
POSITION SPECIFIC DUTIES
- Provides strategic, innovative leadership in the design,
implementation and continuous improvement of the area of
responsibility and related programs and services.
- Responsible for area alignment with College strategic
initiatives and facilitates the preparation of short- and long-term
plans in support of College mission, vision and goals.
- Provides leadership in curriculum design, instructional
delivery, accreditation and assessment activities.
- Assists in the development of marketing strategies leading to
program recognition and growth.
- Develops processes and systems that enhance instruction. Serves
as the liaison to other divisions and departments of the College
relating to academic programs, physical assets, and
- Employs appropriate enrollment management and retention
- Ensures division compliance with applicable federal, state, and
local regulations, accrediting commissions, licensing requirements,
and with administrative regulations and Board policies as
- Responsible for employee supervision and accountability, both
direct and indirect reports, including recruitment, selection,
orientation, scheduling, evaluation, coaching, rewards/recognition,
- Models and maintains high performance standards and performance
- Ensures division employees provide excellent customer service
and a welcoming, supportive, and respectful work environment.
Investigates and resolves requests and concerns.
- Ensures and promotes health and safety in the workplace.
- Establishes and maintains collaborative working relationships
with internal employees. Actively participates on and/or leads
various College committees, meetings, and workgroups.
- Responsible for division budget(s) development and management.
Prepares, monitors, controls, and ensures spending within the
budget allocation. Develops cost estimates for future division
- Directs the preparation of capital equipment requests.
Supervises expenditures of capital equipment funds within College
practices, policies, and procedures.
- Directs the semester/annual class scheduling and faculty
assignments in coordination with other areas of the College
- Oversees maintenance of accurate catalog information, degree
worksheets, advising materials and division content on the GTCC
- Manages full-time and part-time faculty workloads for
compliance with college policies.
- Maintains confidentiality of student records, personnel files,
and other sensitive information.
- Promptly investigates and resolves problems and complaints from
students and employees.
- Establishes and maintains collaborative working relationships
with business and industry partners, agencies, community
organizations and/or education institutions. Serves as College
representative on various statewide, local and College committees
and attends events as appropriate.
- Serves as the spokesperson to external agencies for the
Aviation Programs at GTCC .
- Provides oversight for records and reports to meet Federal
Aviation Administration ( FAA ) and Federal Communication
Commission ( FCC ) programs as required.
- Applies the College’s interpretation of the Family Education
Rights and Privacy Act ( FERPA ).
- Attends training sessions and participates in professional
- Demonstrate and model the College’s employability skills:
adaptability, communication, information processing, problem
solving, responsibility and teamwork.
- Instructs students in a classroom, lab, learning center or
other setting as appropriate (one class per year).
- Serves on external aviation related committees, boards and
workgroups as a representative of the Aviation Program at GTCC
- Initiates and implements grant funded opportunities that
support the mission of the college.
- Performs all other related duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree in an Aviation related field from a regionally
accredited post-secondary institution.
- Federal Aviation Administration ( FAA ) professional
certification in an Aviation related area
- Doctoral degree from a regionally accredited post-secondary
- Current FAA Airframe and Powerplant Certification
- Three years of post-secondary teaching experience in an FAA
regulated aviation program (i.e., part 141 or 147).
- Three years of progressive academic administrative experience
in a postsecondary institution.
- Experience with faculty supervision including performance
- Experience in budget development and management
- Experience with enrollment management, curriculum/program
development, and assessment.
- Experience in building collaborative community/workforce
- Experience with programmatic accreditation and/or regulatory
- Greater than three years of post-secondary teaching experience
in an FAA regulated aviation program (i.e., part 141 or 147).
- Greater than three years of progressive academic administrative
experience in a postsecondary institution.
- Community college teaching and/or administrative
- Experience with distance learning modalities and
The Director will possess an understanding of and commitment to the
nature and role of the Community College, particularly its “open
door” policy. He/she shall have demonstrated personal and
professional competence for the areas of responsibility assigned to
include the ability to:
1. Strategically think and manage change
2. Respect Diversity
3. Adapt to changing procedures, protocols or assignments
4. Create and maintain a learner centered environment
5. Communicate effectively in multiple formats
6. Initiate, develop, and maintain relationships internal and
external to the College
Department/Job Specific Requirements
- Schedule may require day or evening responsibilities and travel
between campuses as required for performance of job duties.
- Responsibilities may include overnight travel in, and outside
of the state, as well as occasional travel overseas in support of
college programs and initiatives.
- This position requires a valid NC driver’s license and
acceptable driving record.
The following (compliance) training is required and must be
completed within the first 30 days of hire with annual refresher
training thereafter: (additional training may be added as needed)
- Reporting Requirements
- Anti-Discrimination/Harassment & Title IX
- Safety/Shooter on Campus
- Personal Information Protection Training ( PIP )
- Ethics and Social Responsibility
- eLearning Level One in Canvas before the first day of the first
- eLearning Level Two in Canvas for instructors who teach online
or hybrid delivery methods before the first day of the first
semester teaching in that format
Physical Activity: Primarily sitting
Environmental Hazard(s): <15%
1. Hear and see
2. Other physical requirements as necessary to function in an
1. Criminal history checks with acceptable results, are
Posting Detail Information
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Documents Needed To Apply
- * Do you have a Master’s degree or higher degree in an Aviation
related field from a regionally accredited post-secondary
- * Do you have a Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)
professional certification in an Aviation related area?
- * Do you have three or more years of post-secondary teaching
experience in an FAA regulated aviation program (i.e., part 141 or
- * Do you have three years of progressive academic
administrative experience in a postsecondary institution?
- * Do you have experience with faculty supervision including
- * Do you have experience in budget development and management?
- * Do you have experience with enrollment management,
curriculum/program development, and assessment?
- * Do you have experience in building collaborative
community/workforce education partnerships?
- * Do you have experience with programmatic accreditation and/or
regulatory compliance processes?
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Recommendation