The Dean of Administration reports to the Commandant, Joint Forces Staff College (JFSC) and is responsible to the Vice President for Administration/Chief Operating Officer (COO), for the execution, management, and governance decisions made in support of the academic enterprise programs. The Dean works to balance the enterprise-wide requirements of the entire University with internal requirements of JFSC. Provides the leadership, management, and expertise necessary to accomplish National Defense University and JFSC: strategic and operational planning and assessment; development and documentation of required policies, guidance, and processes; governance; functional program oversight; budget/resource planning and programming; human resource management; facilitation of academic and enterprise business information technology development; facilities management; and provision of academic and enterprise business support services to the academic and research programs. The Dean of Administration is responsible for the following more specific governance and management activities.
- Serves as the principal consultant and advisor to the JFSC Commandant and the COO on governance and management matters affecting the University and JFSC academic and business enterprises.
- Responsible for the supervision of a broad range of business support functions, including processes, personnel, security, logistics, administrative services, budgeting, resource management, facilities management/maintenance, events coordination, and protocol.
- Directly responsible to the JFSC Commandant for internal program and policy issues affecting the College, advising on long-range goals and objectives, changes in organizational arrangements, and all cost considerations.
- Works with the JFSC Dean of Faculty and Academic Programs to ensure all business support activities are aligned with JFSC academic program priorities and delivery of the curricula.
- Supports the COO and NDU functional Directorate Heads and program managers in the development of processes and procedures that are responsive and effective, as well as efficient in the use of university resources.
- The Dean of Administration serves as the primary POC for all JFSC hiring actions and is responsible to the COO for ensuring JFSC is integrated with university planning for civilian hiring and budget execution.
- Responsible to the COO to ensure the development, submission and management of the College's resource and facility requirements, financial plans, and budget execution, are aligned with NDU guidance, priorities, and timelines.
- Serves on NDU-level committees and working groups, leads projects as assigned, and serves as the JFSC's principal representative at external academic and business support and administrative meetings.
- Performs other duties as assigned. Occasional travel may be required.
Requirements Conditions of Employment
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or a U.S. Permanent Resident.
- Incumbent is required to obtain/maintain a Top Secret/SCI clearance.
- Incumbent is required to file a Public Financial Disclosure Report (OGE-278) within 30 days of entering the covered position, annually thereafter, and within 30 days of terminating from a covered position.
- Occasional TDY is required.
- Position is governed by 10 USC 1595 and NDU Instruction 1416.01.
Must possess extensive leader/managerial experience at high levels within the military, public, or private sectors to be able to effectively carry out the overarching and holistic supervisory, managerial, and technical duties of the position. Incumbent must demonstrate professional stature and technical expertise to be respected and immediately effective in this position.
- Master's degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher education or, international equivalent.
- Demonstrated ability and successful record of leadership achievement, and success in supervising and managing programs and organizations of a nature similar to those that support the overall academic enterprise of the University.
- Demonstrated ability to lead collaboratively and work effectively with others in a diverse environment; ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with University personnel and representatives of various external agencies.
- Proven ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Ability to make decisions that produce high-quality results by analyzing problems, calculating risk, and applying technical knowledge. Superior knowledge and demonstrated ability to plan, organize, and direct the technical aspects of assigned program areas of responsibility.
- Possess both the experience and ability to manage human capital, financial, facility, and information resources strategically and operationally. Expert knowledge of budget matters to include experience: (1) developing and managing the equivalent of a component financial plan, (2) performing oversight of the management of program resources; formulate, prepare, and revise the annual operating budget estimate for an organization with a total personnel/discretionary budget of at least $2 million dollars.
- Demonstrated ability to use judgment, initiative, and resourcefulness in order to resolve complex and/or intricate issues and problems to bring about strategic change, both within their respective component or across the University enterprise, to meet overall organizational goals.
- Demonstrated ability to lead institutional change in a resource constrained environment by developing innovative and creative solutions.
- Demonstrated experience at the department or headquarters level in designing and implementing streamlined business processes, program efficiencies, and cost savings initiatives.
- Demonstrated ability to act with discretion, maintain confidentiality, and professional demeanor at all times and operate with the highest standards of personal and professional conduct.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully lead or serve as a member of cross-functional or cross-component teams.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complex concepts in a clear and concise manner, both written and orally.
- Experience working in the interagency, joint, multi-service, or multi-national military environment.
- Knowledge of public and/or private sector academic institutions' organization, structure, and operations.
- Familiarity with the missions, organization, and operations of the Department of Defense.
- Experience managing at the highest levels within a large diverse academic environment.
- Joint Professional Military Education (JPME) experience is desired.
Volunteer Experience: Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional, philanthropic, religious, spiritual, community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills, and can provide valuable training and experience that translates to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Education Requirement: Master's degree is required.
Official transcripts will be required at time of selection to verify educational requirements are met.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
To qualify, you must meet the education and experience requirements described above. An NDU screening panel will review your resume and cover letter to evaluate your qualifications for the position. NDU uses a multi-tier selection process for academic positions.
You MUST upload a cover letter, separate from your resume, no more than 2 pages long, addressing the following hiring criteria:
Factor 1 Leadership: Describe the number of years of senior-level management experience and demonstrated effectiveness leading and managing in an institution of higher learning.
Factor 2 Change Management: Describe your demonstrated record of successfully leading change in an organization, including the development of organizational vision and implementing policies and procedures to achieve the vision within available resources in a continuously changing environment.
Factor 3 Collaboration and Teamwork: Describe your experience collaborating with a diverse workforce and with senior leaders across an institution; provide evidence of your ability to lead teams, create a culture of collegiality, and produce high-quality results.
Factor 4 Business Acumen: Describe your experience at the department or headquarters level in designing and implementing streamlined business processes, program efficiencies, and cost savings initiatives.
Factor 5 Resource Management: Describe your experience managing human capital, financial, facility, and information resources strategically and operationally.
You must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
- Résumé: The latest resume submitted will be used to determine qualifications. All conferred degrees and certifications should be included in your resume for full consideration.
- Complete Assessment Questionnaire
- Cover letter with narrative responses answering hiring criteria questions listed in the "How you will be evaluated" section of this announcement. Failure to submit will result in an ineligible rating.
- Other Supporting Documents - Refer to the eligibilities section for documents to submit.
NOTE: Transcripts are not required at time of application submission. Your resume and narrative answers to the hiring criteria will be reviewed by the NDU screening panel to evaluate your qualifications for the position. If selected for an interview, official transcripts will be requested at that time to verify educational requirements are met.
Eligibilities Information: The following supporting documents are REQUIRED to verify your individual eligibility status. Not all will apply for each applicant. They MUST be received by the closing date of the announcement.
- SF-50 - (If applicable) Notification of Personnel Action for current or former federal employees- with the exception of current permanent NDU employees, please provide your most recent SF50 or the SF50 reflecting Career/Career-Conditional tenure and the highest grade held on a permanent basis.
- If you claim Veteran's Preference:
- You must submit a copy of your DD Form-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty", showing the dates of active-duty service, type of discharge and the character of service. Alternatively, If you are a current military member in active-duty service and do not have a copy of your DD Form-214, you must submit a written documentation (certification) from your branch of service certifying that you are expected to be discharged or released from active duty under honorable conditions no later than 120 days after the date the certification is submitted with your application for this position. The certification should also include your rank, dates of active-duty service and what they condition of discharge is thought to be.
- If claiming 10-point preference and/or are a 30% or more Disabled Veteran, you must submit both a DD Form-214 or expected discharge documentation as described above AND a copy of a letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) or your branch of service certifying the presence of service-connected disability and indicating the percentage of disability
- If you are claiming eligibility based on 10-point derived veterans' preference (i.e. a spouse, widow/widower, or parent of a veteran claiming veterans' preference when the veteran is unable to use it), you must also submit a Standard Form 15 (SF-15) "Application for 10-Point Veteran's Preference" and any required documents indicated on the SF-15 to substantiate the claimed preference.
- Other documents identified in the announcement.
WARNING: Failure to submit a complete application package including any required documentation by the closing date of the announcement at 11:59 EST, or at the time of application for announcements with an extended closing date, may result in an ineligible rating and loss of consideration. To verify that your application is complete, log into your USAJOBS account, select Application Status and More Information. The Details page will display the status of your application.
It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information entered or uploaded is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.