To create a Posting, first complete the information on this screen,
then click the “Next” button or select the page in the left hand
navigation menu. Proceed through all sections completing all
necessary information. To submit the Posting to Human Resources,
you must go to the “Posting Summary Page” by clicking on the “Next”
button until you reach the Posting Summary Page or select Posting
Summary Page from the left navigation menu. Once a summary page
appears, hover your mouse over the orange Action button for a list
of possible approval step options.
Power Plant Operator
Power Plant Operator
80 hours Bi-weekly- Normal shift Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday 12 hour
shifts-7PM to 7AM to include working every other Sunday. One week
work 36 hours and one week work 48 hours
Hours per Week
Months per Year
Commitment to Inclusive Excellence
Northern Kentucky University embraces inclusiveness, equity, and
global awareness in all dimensions of our work and seek excellence
through diversity among our students, administrators, faculty, and
staff. Application by members of diverse groups is
We are an Equal Opportunity/Equal Access/Affirmative Action
Purpose of Position
This 80 hour/bi-weekly ESSENTIAL position is responsible for
monitoring, operating and maintaining chilled water and steam
equipment and systems in a newly constructed power plant. Also
responsible for energy management measures associated with
heating/cooling operations. This position is required to work when
the University is closed due to adverse weather conditions or other
emergencies that may require closing of the University for the
safety of faculty, staff, students, and visitors.
- Power Plant operations, which include maintaining proper
temperatures in campus facilities through efficient operation of
boilers, chillers, air handlers, pumps, etc.
- Monitor the energy management system for alarms related to
building trouble and fires, freeze-stats, boilers, air handlers,
HVAC equipment, pumps, etc.
- Dispatch general maintenance mechanics for after-hour problems
involving plumbing, electric, elevators, locks, fire and other
emergencies. The Power Plant is a 24/7/365 operation.
- Graduation from high school or GED and two years of experience
in Power Plant maintenance/energy management operations and HVAC
systems. Acceptable minimum equivalent is two years experience in
Power Plant operations and maintenance. Technical/Vocational school
certifications in HVAC or boiler operator’s license/stationary
engineer’s license preferred. Apprenticeship program in a related
field is preferred.
- Requires mechanical aptitude, skills and knowledge to operate
campus boilers, chillers and HVAC systems.
- Basic computer skills are required; knowledge of computerized
energy management systems is preferred.
- Ability to safely operate hand and power tools, testing
equipment, machinery and vehicles is required.
- Ability to work overhead, on ladders, on catwalks and other
elevations, and in confined spaces is required. Ability to perform
medium heavy to maximum physical exertion is required. Maturity,
integrity, detail-orientation, self-motivation, good judgment and
the ability to work independently with minimum supervision is
- A valid driver’s license is required as is dependable
- Requires the ability to report to work in severe weather,
natural disasters, and other emergencies. The ability to work any
hours as needed to provide 24/7/365 coverage is required.
All applicants must fill-out an online staff application.
Any candidate who is offered this position will be required to
undergo a pre-employment criminal background check as mandated by
High School Diploma
High School Diploma
$19.04/hr minimum + NSD
Posting Detail Information
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Is this an internal only posting?
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Documents Needed to Apply
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- NKU Jobs Site
- Inside Higher Ed
- Employee Referral
- * How much related experience do you have? Please
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have a valid driver's license?
- * Do you have previous experience working on a third or second
- * Do you have water treatment experience?
- * Do you have either a boiler operator's license or a
stationary engineer's license?
- * Do you have a minimum of a high school diploma plus two (2)
years of related work experience or vocational school training with
at least one (1) year of related work experience?
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Letter of Recommendation 1