CMU's University Libraries are searching for a Library
to join their team. This is an exciting opportunity
for someone who thrives in an interesting and challenging work
The Library Associate for Access Services
is responsible for
a variety of circulation desk duties including but not limited to;
circulating library materials, answering basic reference questions
(both in person, over the phone and in email/chat), collecting fees
and fines for overdue/lost library materials, re-shelving materials
and assisting patrons with questions regarding their accounts. On
days/times where they are the sole full-time staff member, they are
responsible for overall building supervision, including security
and orderliness. Opening and closing the building according to
Although this position focuses specifically on responsibilities at
the Hunt Library circulation desk, staff within the university
libraries work as a team to provide a consistent level of service
system-wide; sharing the total workload of all of access
Your core responsibilities will include:
- Perform a variety of circulation desk duties, answering
directional and ready reference questions.
- Attend project team meetings, departmental meetings, divisional
meetings and other meetings as assigned.
- Assists in managing the multi-media/technology collection.
- Provide additional coverage at various service points within
the library when needed.
- Hire, train, direct and supervise 25+ student assistants.
- Stacks maintenance; shelving, shifting and following up on loss
- Process course reserves.
- Pull and process holds for patron requests (physical and
- Resolves patron issues when they arise, enforces library rules
- Gives basic reference assistance, both in person and online.
Referring in-depth reference questions to the appropriate liaison
librarians when necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.
Flexibility, excellence, and passion are vital qualities within the
University Libraries. Inclusion, collaboration and cultural
sensitivity are valued competencies at CMU. Therefore, we are in
search of a team member who is able to effectively interact with a
varied population of internal and external partners at a high level
of integrity. We are looking for someone who shares our values and
who will support the mission of the university through their
You should demonstrate:
- Excellent customer service skills and the ability to work in a
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills, ability to
interact with a diverse group of people.
- Technological and computer literate; able to use complex
databases and other software
- Bachelor’s degree with one (1) year experience; OR- Associate’s
degree with three (3) years’ experience
- Successful background check
- Typical Work Schedule: Scheduled hours for the position
are (during the academic year) Sunday-Thursday, 11:30 am to 8:00
pm. Schedule will be adjusted for holiday and summer hours in
response to reduced library hours and staffing needs. Reliability
regarding scheduled hours is essential.
- Sponsorship: Applicants for this position must be
currently legally authorized to work for CMU in the United States.
CMU will not sponsor or take over sponsorship of an employment visa
for this opportunity.
Joining the CMU team opens the door to an array of exceptional
benefits, available to all full-time Carnegie Mellon University
employees. Experience the full spectrum of advantages, from
comprehensive medical, prescription, dental, and vision insurance
to enticing retirement savings programs. Unlock your potential with
tuition benefits, and take well-deserved breaks with generous paid
time off and holidays. Rest easy knowing you are covered by life
and accidental death and disability insurance. For a comprehensive
overview of the benefits awaiting you, explore: https://www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance
At Carnegie Mellon, we value the whole package when extending
offers of employment. Beyond just credentials, we consider the role
& responsibilities, your invaluable work experience, and the
knowledge gained through education and training. We acknowledge and
appreciate your unique key skills and the diverse perspectives you
bring. Our commitment to fostering an inclusive work environment
means we also account for geographic differentials. Your journey
with us is about more than just a job; it’s about finding the
perfect fit for your professional growth and personal
Are you interested in this exciting opportunity?! Apply
Staff – Regular
Full Time/Part time
- Please visit “ Why Carnegie Mellon ” to learn more about
becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change
- Click here to view a listing of employee benefits
- Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity
- Statement of Assurance