Director of Disability Services
Director of Disability Services
Texas A&M International University
Student Counseling & Disability Services
Proposed Minimum Salary
The Director of Disability Services, under general direction,
oversees daily operations of services and programs administered by
the Office of Disability Services.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversees the daily operations of services and programs
administered by the Office of Disability Services, including
coordinating and providing academic accommodations, exam services,
faculty training and consultation, conversion of academic materials
to alternate formats, and providing assistive technology to
- Reviews documentation and evaluates for appropriate academic
accommodations. Facilitates implementation of
- Drafts rules and procedures to implement State and Federal
regulations and statutes related to persons with
- Collaborates with academic units to facilitate the educational
progress of students with disabilities.
- Acts as a liaison and maintains relationships with community,
State, and Federal agencies.
- Hires, trains, supervises, and evaluates staff.
- Conducts strategic planning and assessment of services
- Prepares and administers departmental budget.
- Serves on University committees and participates in special
This document represents the major duties, responsibilities, and
authorities of this job and is not intended to be a complete list
of all tasks and functions. Other duties may be assigned.
- Provide training, workshops, and other learning opportunities
to faculty, staff, and students to raise awareness around stigma
and unconscious bias towards students with disabilities.
- Provide support and technical assistance for faculty and staff
on appropriate and reasonable accommodations for students with
- Ensure that complaints and grievances related to the rights of
individuals with disabilities are handled appropriately and other
relevant offices and stakeholders are included in the
- Ensure appropriate processes are in place to provide for the
prompt and equitable resolution of complaints and
- Participate in professional organizations and professional
- Ensure DSS website is up to date.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Education - Master's degree in Special Education, Social
Work, Counseling, Psychology, or Rehabilitation.
- Experience - Ten years of related experience.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be
Knowledge and Abilities
- Five years or more of experience in higher
- Training, certifications, and demonstrated knowledge of best
- Experience and certifications in crisis and mental health
- Word processing, spreadsheet, and database
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Section 504 and other
Federal and State laws.
Preferred Knowledge and Abilities
- Multitask and work cooperatively with others.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Determine appropriate accommodations for students with
- Interpret standard psychological assessments and diagnostic
methods for use in determining accommodations.
Licensing / Professional Certification
- Knowledge of Accessibility Information Management
(AIM)-electronic record system, Banner, Outlook, and Web
- Knowledge of federal and state laws pertaining to working with
students with disabilities in an educational setting.
- Ability to multi-task in a high-traffic area with constant
- Ability to provide administrative guidance within the area of
responsibility, providing direct training and supervision as
- Ability to organize work effectively, conceptualize and
prioritize objectives, and exercise
Professional Counselor Preferred
- General office environment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those
that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
Supervision of Others
This position generally supervises employees.
INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANT:
- Evening and weekend work may be required.
- Position requires on campus, face-to-face
- Position requires maintaining a regular schedule of attendance
on campus and in the workplace.
During the application
process you have only one opportunity to enter the requested
information, upload documents and Submit the application. You
will not be able to make changes or add additional documents once
you “Submit” the application materials
. The software does not
allow you to “Save” your application and return to complete the
process at a later time. The page "My Experience" has an area
provided under Resume/CV to drop or upload files. Be sure to
Applications received by Texas A&M International University
must have all job application data entered. Failure to provide all
job application data could result in an invalid submission and a
rejected application. “See resume” is not an acceptable entry in
the job application.
- Cover Letter
- At least 3 professional references and their full contact
- Unofficial Transcripts (if applicable).
All positions are security-sensitive. Applicants are subject to a
criminal history investigation, and employment is contingent upon
the institution's verification of credentials and/or other
information required by the institution's procedures, including the
completion of the criminal history check.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability
To apply, visit https://tamus.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/TAMIU_External/job/Laredo-TX/Director-of-Disability-Services_R-066050