Founded in 1917, Providence College (PC) is a premier Catholic
liberal arts institution steadfastly committed to academic
excellence through a dynamic core curriculum, a distinctive
Development of Western Civilization Program, and abundant
experiential learning opportunities. The only U.S. higher education
institution administered by the Dominican Friars, PC is committed
to providing a variety of opportunities for intellectual, social,
moral, and spiritual growth in a supportive environment. Providence
College believes that cultural and intellectual pluralism is
essential to the excellence of its academic programs, and strives
to foster an academic culture and campus community reflecting the
global environment in which we live and work.
The approximately 105-acre campus is situated in Rhode Island’s
capital city and is close to the many cultural and educational
offerings of Rhode Island’s “renaissance city.” Additionally,
Providence is located an hour from Boston and just a few hours from
New York City.
For years, Providence College has been recognized in the U.S.
News & World Report
“Regional Universities – North
Category” and has been commended by several other ranking
Provide personalized academic advising and experiential learning
support for students within the School of Nursing & Health
- Provide direct, one-on-one and group academic advising to an
assigned caseload of students. Meet with assigned advisees upon
request to address emerging questions and concerns. Design and
conduct individual or group advising sessions to address common
needs, interests, and concerns. Check midterm/final grades and
schedule meetings to discuss concerns as necessary. Assist with the
development and implementation of retention plans for students who
are on academic warning, academic probation, or may be subject to
dismissal with potential impact to financial aid in coordination
with the Student Success Center.
- Develop, plan, and manage opportunities for students to obtain
and participate in meaningful internships directed research, study
abroad, and academic credit granting field experiences. Refer
students to applicable resources. Ensure the student submits all
necessary documentation to participate. Provide logistical support
to students if a placement-related complication or concern should
arise. Assess outcome of the experience in collaboration with
- Coordinate academic advising and record keeping among a team of
advisors including faculty, professionals in the student support
center, and the health professions advisor. Maintain an accurate
and updated academic advising record for each student.
Education and Experience Required
- Perform all other duties as may be required.
- Master’s degree in education, counseling, college student
personnel, or a related field from an accredited institution
- Two to three years’ of relevant experience in academic
advising, preferably in a higher education environment, or an
equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience designing and delivering programs/workshops that
foster academic and professional success in and outside of the
- Experience working with faculty to enhance advising
effectiveness and support students’ academic and personal
- Strong knowledge of best practices in advising student from a
variety of racial, ethnic, socio-economic, and education
- Knowledge of student development theory, especially as it
pertains to academic advising and student success.
- Knowledge of advising assessment methods and reporting
- Experience working with under-represented groups.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Some evening/weekend work required.
- Occasional travel.
The physical demands described here are representative of those
that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may
be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
- Sitting in a normal seated position for extended periods of
- Reaching by extending hand(s) or arm(s) in any direction
- Finger dexterity required to manipulate objects with fingers
rather than with whole hand(s) or arm(s), for example, using a
- Communication skills using the spoken word
- Ability to see within normal parameters
- Ability to hear within normal range
- Ability to move about
19 (Min. $50,917/Mid. $66,192/Max. $81,467)
Employees are normally hired between the minimum and the
midpoint of a position’s grade range to which a position has been
assigned, depending on experience and
If other, please enter regular schedule.
Providence College does not discriminate against any person because
of race, color, national and ethnic origin, sex, gender, except
where gender is a bona fide occupational qualification, sexual
orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, age, veteran
status, or genetic information. The College will develop, and from
time to time update, an affirmative action program and will insist
on a good-faith effort on the part of its employees to comply with
the program. The College will request and expect its agents and
those with whom it conducts its affairs to meet the commitment of
this important program.
Posting Detail Information
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Documents Needed To Apply
- Do you have a bachelor's degree?
- What is the highest level of education attained?
- High School Diploma
- Associates Degree
- Bachelors Degree
- Masters Degree
- How many years of experience do you have in this type of
- Do you have a masters degree?
- Are you available to work some evenings (6 pm to 10 pm)?
- Are you available to work some weekends?
- Cover Letter