IMPORTANT APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS:
- Upload Resume or Curriculum Vitae for automatic
population of information to the application.
- The contact information, work experience, and education listed
on your Resume/CV will be parsed and input into your Montclair
- Review information and double-check all fields
containing information that the system parsed – the software is
intelligent, but you need to verify that the data is accurate.
- In the “My Experience” section, you will find a
Resume/CV upload option where you can submit your cover letter and
all other supporting documents.
If you have an expansive CV, we recommend that you
apply manually and only include the positions you have held in the
last ten (10) years . You will then be able to attach your
Resume/CV, as well as all other supporting documentation in the "My
Experience" section of your application.
Reporting to the Director of Special Events, the Associate Director
of Special Events participates in the strategic development,
planning, execution and management of the University’s high-profile
signature events, and works collaboratively with colleagues in the
Special Events department and across campus to produce events that
enhance and elevate the profile of the University with internal and
external stakeholders. The Associate Director assists in the
planning and execution for a wide variety of large-scale
Presidential, Student Development and Campus Life, Development and
Community events, and provides logistical and event planning
support for smaller events managed by various Montclair State
University colleagues across divisions and
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Participates in establishing policies, procedures and protocols
that maintain high professional standards for all event
- Participates in the planning and management of the department
and the implementation of initiatives to support the strategic
goals of the department, division and University. Evaluates goals
and operations of the department and implements ways to improve
performance. Acts in the absence of the director as follows:
supervises department staff and work operations; works directly
with key internal and external stakeholders to ensure seamless
delivery of event elements; represents the department.
- Establishes and maintains effective communication and
collaborative working relationships with key event stakeholder
units throughout the institution including President’s Office,
Provost Office, Facilities, Office of the Registrar, Development,
University Communications and Marketing, Deans’ Offices, University
Police, Student Development and Campus Life, Dining Services,
faculty and staff, student organizations, government and private
agencies and the public in order to accomplish the objectives and
programs of the unit.
- Leads the logistical planning, management and execution of
certain events as assigned.
- Designs and manages the department’s website and social media
account. Produces associated collateral/public relation materials.
Maintains and integrates University Brand Standards.
- Oversees the recruitment, selection, hiring, training,
scheduling and supervision of the Graduate and Undergraduate
- Responsible for overseeing event budgets; creating budgets,
monitoring purchase orders, and reconciling all invoices
- Creates and maintains registration systems and software
applications for events.
- Develops and maintains event briefings, agendas, timelines and
other relevant planning materials and resources. Participates in
planning meetings with internal and external stakeholders to
prepare for upcoming events.
- Compiles and analyzes event related statistics and data
post-event. Participates in post-event analysis meetings and
recommends improvements. Engages in continuous improvement,
assessment, and evaluation of events, procedures, and department
- Understands the needs of diverse populations and effectively
serves students, faculty, staff and the public with an inclusive
approach. Ensures all events are ADA compliant and access
provisions are available.
- Secures and negotiates goods and services from external service
providers in conformance with University Procurement and legal
- Develops and executes detailed event staffing plans for event
support staff. Coordinates, trains and supervises on-site support
staff for on and off-campus events. Ensuring event specifications
are addressed, trains staff regarding on-site incident management
and risk mitigation protocols.
- Manages the logistical planning and preparation with key
internal providers and external vendors including but not limited
to: venue and vendor selection VIP attendees, media, food and
beverage service, technology, equipment rentals, parking, security,
emergency planning, housekeeping, shuttle services, fire and
safety, photography, room set-ups, grounds, housekeeping,
audio/visual services, staging, ticketing, livestreaming, ASL
Interpreters, electricity, floral, etc.
- Participates in the creation, production and distribution of
all event related communications and print and digital collateral
in collaboration with University Communications and Marketing:
emails, signage, websites, invites, splash screens, videos,
photography, programs, etc.
- Assists in supporting the operations of the Campus Business
Services unit and works as a team member in supporting events
undertaken by Campus Business Services as needed.
- Maintains essential records and files in compliance with state
and institutional record retention policies.
- Maintains integrity and appropriate confidentiality in
University and program operations.
- Attends and participate in department, division, and
university-wide meetings; represents the Special Events department
at meetings as required. Engages in professional development.
Serves on ad hoc and standing committees as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Management retains the right to add or change job duties at any
- Bachelor's degree from accredited college or university
- A minimum of five years progressively responsible professional
experience in planning and managing large scale, complex, and
high-profile events at an institution of higher education or
- Outstanding interpersonal communication skills and an ability
to work collaboratively with a variety of internal and external
- Demonstrated sound judgement, strong project management
experience, problem-solving and organizational skills, attention to
detail, and ability to set priorities and meet deadlines while
balancing multiple projects.
- Ability to work evenings, weekends and occasional
- Position requires ability to lift and carry items in excess of
20lbs, in addition to walking and standing for long periods.
PROCEDURE FOR CANDIDACY
- Demonstrated administrative experience with budget development
and financial management.
- Demonstrated supervisory experience managing student
- Demonstrated project management success in achieving results in
higher education or similarly large and complex organization.
Applicants should include a resume and cover letter describing how
their background, skills and education match the needs of the
University. When applying, please take a moment to carefully read
and follow the steps in the application instruction .
For questions or concerns, please contact Human Resources' Workday
Recruiting Support at 973-655-5000 (Option 2)
, or email
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative
Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity.
Additional information can be found on the website at
Title IX and 34 C.F.R. 106 Policy
Montclair State is required by Title IX and 34 C.F.R. 106 not to
discriminate on the basis of sex or gender, and does not
discriminate on the basis of sex or gender in the operation of
education programs and activities. The requirement to not
discriminate on the basis of sex or gender in the operation of
education programs and activities extends to admission and
employment. For further details, please visit: https://www.montclair.edu/human-resources/job-seekers/