IMPORTANT APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS:
- Upload Resume or Curriculum Vitae for automatic
population of information to the application.
- The contact information, work experience, and education listed
on your Resume/CV will be parsed and input into your Montclair
- Review information and double-check all fields
containing information that the system parsed – the software is
intelligent, but you need to verify that the data is accurate.
- In the “My Experience” section, you will find a
Resume/CV upload option where you can submit your cover letter and
all other supporting documents.
If you have an expansive CV, we recommend that you
apply manually and only include the positions you have held in the
last ten (10) years . You will then be able to attach your
Resume/CV, as well as all other supporting documentation in the "My
Experience" section of your application.
Montclair State University invites applications for the position of
Dean of the College for Education and Engaged Learning to start
July 1, 2024. The Dean of the College for Education and Engaged
Learning will inspire and demonstrate a spirit of innovation, a
participatory leadership philosophy, and a deep commitment to a
healthy academic community, climate, and culture within the
College. The ideal candidate will be a visionary and collaborative
leader with national prominence and reputation. Reporting to the
Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs, the Dean
serves as the lead academic and administrative officer for the
College who supervises academic programs that align with the
University's strategic plan. They will also coordinate the
activities of assistant/associate deans, department chairs,
directors, and administrative staff.
It is expected that the Dean leads by modeling for faculty and
staff positive supports and inclusive practices of diverse
individuals to normalize the tenets of anti-racism, social justice,
equity, diversity, and belonging, which ground the mission of the
College. This inaugural Dean will prioritize an increased focus on
the educational needs of minoritized populations, deepening and
developing partnerships with urban districts and community
organizations. They will ensure the College contributes to an
anti-racist and inclusive campus environment.
The Dean will elevate the College's national and international
profile and advance excellence in teaching, research, and program
development in response to the changing landscape of P-12
education, higher education, and the needs of our community
partners. The Dean is responsible for facilitating academic
programs, strategic planning, assessment of student learning, and
CAEP accreditation. The Dean oversees faculty and staff
recruitment, development, retention, and support, and manages a
budget including personnel and operating funds. They also work
closely with university development to seek external financial
support and establish strategic resource partnerships for the
College. The Dean will engage key College stakeholders; lead
advisory board meetings; strengthen alumni relations; partner with
university development, and identify opportunities to build, expand
and strengthen our community engagement. The faculty and staff seek
a seasoned leader with a national reputation to lead the College
towards long-term growth and stability.
- Works collaboratively with faculty, staff, and key community
members to articulate a compelling mission and vision, and
strategic plan for the new College.
- Identifies new initiatives for program development and
interdisciplinary opportunities and collaborates with other schools
and colleges across campus also for research and scholarship.
- Cultivates a culture of openness, communication, trust,
support, and collaboration within the College.
- Embraces the value of the lived experience of Montclair State
University students, centering the College's impact on students and
their future well-being.
- Brings an asset orientation to diversity and is responsive to
the needs and interests of students who are Pell eligible, English
learners, neurodiverse, LGBTQ+, and racially and ethnically
- Recognizes the value and importance of teacher education,
administrator education, higher education, and educational
foundations to the preparation of educators to serve a wide variety
of institutional contexts for justice and the public good.
- Operationalizes the values of shared governance and transparent
communication with chairs, directors, staff, and faculty while
setting clear expectations and accountabilities.
- Leads the recruitment, enrollment, and retention efforts of
high-caliber students locally, nationally, as well as
- Leads recruiting, hiring, and retention efforts for highly
qualified diverse faculty and staff; complies with collective
- Prioritizes a consistent and continuous review of the staff and
faculty experience to actively nurture employee’s professional
development, satisfaction and retention.
- Establishes and maintains excellent relationships with the
state and local education administrators and advocates, local
schools, and districts.
- Directs national and/or state accreditation and certification,
assessment, and ongoing academic program development and serves as
the professional liaison with government and professional agencies
- Works with faculty and staff to respond to current local,
national, and international trends and opportunities in education
to advance the College.
- Promotes a culture of excellence, ethics, service, and
- Fosters and supports a climate of research and innovation to
impact education outcomes at all levels of education (PK-12 and
post-secondary), supporting faculty and students in those
- Leads effective fiscal management and innovative fundraising
for the College.
- Works to advance research and scholarly activities for the
College, including inter-institutional and multi-sectoral
- Drives innovative community engagement and public service
- Embodies a commitment to innovation through the use of diverse
technologies and social media to communicate with public and
- Incorporates student leadership to inform governance and
- Acts as the “face and voice” of the College.
- Ph.D. or Ed.D. from an accredited university.
- Record of distinguished academic achievement (including tenure)
appropriate for appointment at the rank of full professor in a
department of the College.
- An outstanding reputation and recognized leadership in higher
education, including experience at local, state, and national
levels in education, teacher education, higher education, or
educational leadership preparation.
- A commitment to excellence and innovation in teaching/learning,
scholarship and research, community engagement, and the effective
application of knowledge.
- A record of successful administration in higher education and a
broad understanding of the issues and trends in higher education
and K-12 education.
- A commitment to maintaining and extending student and faculty
- A demonstrated record in the acquisition of external resources
from government agencies, foundations, the corporate sector and/or
FOR FURTHER DETAILS, PLEASE VISIT: https://montclair.edu/dean-ceel-prospectus/
PROCEDURE FOR CANDIDACY
- A track record of building and strengthening relationships with
regulatory agencies, associations, and other institutions of higher
education at the state and national levels.
- Service to schools and districts, with a commitment to urban
education and addressing issues of equity and justice through
research and/or practice.
- Record of success in advancing anti-racist culture and
fostering a diverse, equitable, and inclusive educational
environment for students, staff, and faculty.
- Financial acumen and budgetary expertise, including strategic
resource allocation, grant management, and public funding.
- Experience with administrative operations such as admissions
and program advisement, enrollment, marketing, financial aid,
accreditation, student affairs, planning and budgeting, faculty and
curriculum assessment, information technology.
- Success in recruiting, retaining, and mentoring faculty and
staff, including mentoring faculty in their research, teaching,
service, clinical, and administrative endeavors.
- Experience working in a collaborative bargaining
Applicants should include a curriculum vitae and cover letter
describing how their background, skills and education match the
needs of the University. When applying, please take a moment to
carefully read and follow the steps in the application
Confidential review of applications will begin immediately and
continue until the position is filled.
For questions or concerns, please contact Human Resources' Workday
Recruiting Support at 973-655-5000 (Option 2)
, or email
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative
Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity.
Additional information can be found on the website at
Title IX and 34 C.F.R. 106 Policy
Montclair State is required by Title IX and 34 C.F.R. 106 not to
discriminate on the basis of sex or gender, and does not
discriminate on the basis of sex or gender in the operation of
education programs and activities. The requirement to not
discriminate on the basis of sex or gender in the operation of
education programs and activities extends to admission and
employment. For further details, please visit: https://www.montclair.edu/human-resources/job-seekers/