IMPORTANT APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS:
- Upload Resume or Curriculum Vitae for automatic
population of information to the application.
- The contact information, work experience, and education listed
on your Resume/CV will be parsed and input into your Montclair
- Review information and double-check all fields
containing information that the system parsed – the software is
intelligent, but you need to verify that the data is accurate.
- In the “My Experience” section, you will find a
Resume/CV upload option where you can submit your cover letter and
all other supporting documents.
If you have an expansive CV, we recommend that you
apply manually and only include the positions you have held in the
last ten (10) years . You will then be able to attach your
Resume/CV, as well as all other supporting documentation in the "My
Experience" section of your application.
Montclair State University seeks a creative, visionary, and highly
collaborative leader and builder to serve as the Director of the
new School of Computing. Combining the university’s strength in
academic programs in areas related to computer science with its
growing research portfolio, the new School of Computing opened in
fall 2023. Housed within the College of Science and Mathematics
(CSAM), the School of Computing will be an innovative hub for
advancing education and research, engaging with the global
community to address interdisciplinary challenges, and training a
pipeline of diverse students to be tomorrow’s practitioners and
Reporting to the Dean, College of Science and Mathematics, the
Director will play a leadership role in bringing together faculty,
students, and staff across campus to advance academic and research
programs in computing, identify new opportunities for
interdisciplinary collaborations, and further enhance the
university’s commitment to student access and success. Computing
jobs are growing at a rate four times that of all other
occupations, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. The
Director will also recruit exceptional faculty to deliver cutting
edge programs that span high demand areas including data science,
software engineering, and artificial intelligence.
The Director will create and implement a strategic vision for the
growth and development of the School within the framework of
Montclair State University’s expanding mission as a top-100 public
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
School Management and Development
Degree Programs and Student Success
- Responsibility for the overall direction and day to day
management of the School.
- Leads the strategic planning and goal setting for the School
and reporting of metrics to assess success.
- Advances Montclair State University’s commitment to justice,
equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Exercises independent judgment in consultation for all
strategic activities of the unit.
- Works collaboratively with Deans and other Directors as well as
members of the Provost’s Office. Attends Deans’ Council
- Supervises and directs activities of School’s staff.
- Position the School as an anchor for research in computing,
data science, and related areas, and utilize the strength of
faculty expertise to establish the School as a locus for
interdisciplinary research pursuits.
- Establishes new strategic partnerships with industry leaders to
support student and faculty success.
- Leads the transformation of the Department Advisory Board into
a School of Computing Advisory Board and expands its
- Serves as the public face of the School and be its advocate and
representative to the campus, the alumni, the professional
computing community, and the public.
- Scans external environment including competitors to ensure
rigorous curriculum and strategic advantage over other universities
- Works with appropriate staff in the College of Science and
Mathematics in expanding fundraising and development efforts to
attract new sources of support and to enhance the reputation of the
Faculty Management and Success
- Leads the School’s efforts in student success.
- Addresses student concerns, engagement, and development
activities for all students.
- Provides oversight for the quality of all the academic courses
and programs at both the undergraduate and graduate levels as well
as the recruitment and mentoring of the highest qualified
- Provides leadership and supervision of all degree accreditation
and assessment efforts.
- Provides leadership in the creation of new degrees, including
online programs, in areas of Computing intersecting with
- Provides leadership in the start of a doctoral program, to
establish it as a highly regarded degree.
- Supports the development of a branded experience for students
in the new School of Computing.
- Makes recommendations to the Dean on hiring Instructional
Specialists, Adjuncts, and temporary faculty.
- Identifies senior faculty to mentor junior faculty.
- Encourages faculty service to the School, the College and the
- Addresses and reviews personnel actions of the school for both
faculty and staff.
- Establishes schedules and activities for faculty, adjuncts, and
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Management retains the right to add or change job duties at any
- Ph.D. degree in computer science or related field.
- A distinguished record of research that would qualify the
candidate for an appointment at the rank of Professor with
- The capacity for visionary leadership across all areas of
computing, including but not limited to: Computer Science,
Information Technology, Cybersecurity, Data Science, Applied
Mathematics and Statistics.
- Three years of administrative experience in higher education or
industry including responsibility for budgetary matters in a highly
- Excellent relationship-building skills.
- An understanding of faculty and student development
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
FOR FURTHER DETAILS, PLEASE VISIT: https://www.montclair.edu/soc-prospectus/
PROCEDURE FOR CANDIDACY
- A confident, engaging, and transparent leadership style.
- An active, broad-based connection to the professional
- Experience in fundraising or building public/private
Applicants should include a resume and cover letter describing how
their background, skills and education match the needs of the
University. When applying, please take a moment to carefully read
and follow the steps in the application instructions.
Confidential review of applications will begin immediately and
continue until the position is filled, with priority
consideration to applications received by October 16,
College of Science and Mathematics
For questions or concerns, please contact Human Resources' Workday
Recruiting Support at 973-655-5000 (Option 2)
, or email
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative
Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity.
Additional information can be found on the website at
Title IX and 34 C.F.R. 106 Policy
Montclair State is required by Title IX and 34 C.F.R. 106 not to
discriminate on the basis of sex or gender, and does not
discriminate on the basis of sex or gender in the operation of
education programs and activities. The requirement to not
discriminate on the basis of sex or gender in the operation of
education programs and activities extends to admission and
employment. For further details, please visit: https://www.montclair.edu/human-resources/job-seekers/