Assistant/Associate Professor - Apparel Design and Production
Position Summary Information
Job Description Summary
Assistant/Associate Professor, tenure track,
Department and University
- Teach studio/lab/lecture courses in two or more of the
- CAD and 3D visualization technologies for apparel design
- Creative and functional design for apparel product development
- Portfolio development for apparel designers (lecture and
- Apparel industry including sewn product manufacturing (lecture
- Actively pursue a program of scholarship that emphasizes
creative work but can include research.
- Pursue grant opportunities.
- Participate in curriculum development and marketing for
undergraduate and graduate programs.
- Direct and serve on graduate student committees.
- Participate in undergraduate student advising and mentoring of
students for design competitions.
- Provide service to the department, college, and
- Be actively involved in relevant professional organizations and
with industry entities.
: The Department of Consumer and
Design Sciences has 21 faculty positions (17 full-time,
tenured/tenure track and 4 lecturers), 630 undergraduates and 30
graduate students. Bachelor of Science programs are Apparel,
Merchandising, Design and Production Management, with Apparel
Design and Merchandising Options, Interior Design, and Philanthropy
and Nonprofit Studies. The graduate program offers masters (thesis
and non-thesis) and doctoral degrees in Consumer and Design
Sciences. Auburn University, a R1 land-grant institution with
31,000 students is located in the east Alabama city of Auburn, and
has consistently been ranked by US News and World Report as one of
the top 50 public universities in the United States. For more
information see http://humsci.auburn.edu/cads/
, and http://www.auburn.edu/
University is understanding of and sensitive to the family needs of
faculty, including dual-career couples http://www.auburn.edu/academic/provost/facultyjobs/
Spring 2024 preferred.
- Terminal degree in Apparel, Apparel Design, or related field
(e.g., PhD, MFA ) required by time of appointment. Will consider
candidates who are ABD at employment date with appointment at
Instructor level; doctoral degree to be completed within one year
of initial hire date.
- The candidate must be fluent in English and must possess
excellent written and interpersonal communication skills.
- The candidate selected for this position must be able to meet
eligibility requirements to work in the United States at the time
the appointment is scheduled to begin and continue working legally
for the proposed term of employment.
Special Instructions to Applicants
- Knowledge and skill in CAD /3D technology (Optitex, CLO,
Browzwear), Adobe Creative Suite, 3D body scanning, and digital
- Evidence of studio instruction; engagement in creative
scholarship (shown through juried design exhibitions and portfolio
of own and mentored student work).
Apply online using the link: https://www.auemployment.com/postings/40910
. Provide application letter, complete CV, transcripts from all
universities attended, portfolio of student and/or own professional
work; statements of teaching philosophy and of research/creative
scholarship; evidence of teaching effectiveness; and three
professional references with names, email addresses, and phone
numbers. Only complete application materials will be considered.
Review of applications will begin on October 9, 2023 and continue
until the position is filled. For more information, please
Dr. Karla Teel, Search Committee Chair email@example.com
Posting Detail Information
AUBURN UNIVERSITY IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION / EQUAL OPPORTUNITY
EMPLOYER . It is our policy to provide equal employment
opportunities for all individuals without regard to race, sex,
religion, color, national origin, age, disability, protected
veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender
identity, or any other classification protected by applicable
Open Until Filled
References required for this position?
If yes, minimum number requested
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Optional & Required Documents
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Public Job Posting (auemployment.com site)
- Academic Conference
- Agency Referral
- Internal Job Posting
- Personal Referral
- Veterans Assistance Services (Veteran Job Boards, Military Base
Services, State Vet Rep, etc.)
- Disability Assistance Services (Disability Job Boards, ABLE
Network, Voc-Rehab referral, etc.)
- * Please enter the specifics of the option you selected
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Examples of Professional/Student Work
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- Statement of Research and/or Goals
- Student/Teacher/Course Evaluations/Effectiveness