Founded in 1764, Brown is a leading institution for education,
discovery, and global intellectual progress as well as one of the
largest employers in Rhode Island. Working at Brown brings more
than just a paycheck and generous benefits; it offers an
opportunity to contribute to a greater good. Join us in supporting
the pursuit of knowledge and individual growth that defines higher
education and enriches our community.
The Assistant Director provides high-level comprehensive pre- and
post-award management, subcontract administration, and financial
analysis. In addition to independently managing all matters
pertaining to grants administration, both financial and
administrative, this position is the administrative liaison between
the Biomed Shared Services Department, BMRA, OSP, collaborating
institutions, health system offices, sponsoring agencies and
principal investigators (PIs). The incumbent has a broad scope of
responsibilities and knowledge of research administration,
including financial matters. The Assistant Director will lead the
work of Grant Coordinators and Specialists in the department and
provide training to maximize efficiency. The Assistant Director
will serve as back-up to the BioMed Shared Services Director.
This position will coordinate sponsored research funding and
contracts by reviewing and processing awards, interpreting and
ensuring compliance with award terms and conditions, providing
guidance regarding sponsored project issues, budget management,
expenditure review, financial reporting, and leading
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree and 5-7 years related grant and
administrative experience, preferably in an academic environment,
or equivalent combination of education/experience.
- Experience using the internal (COEUS, Workday Financial
Reporting) and external (Fastlane, Research.gov, NIH Assist,
Grants.gov, Workspace, etc.) grant database systems
- Experience with managing staff preferred;
- or, equivalent combination of skills and experience.
- Proven record of delivering proactive service to multiple
stakeholders and faculty.
- Must be able to manage multiple and shifting priorities and
interact with a diverse constituency.
- Demonstrated experience intermediate-to- advanced knowledge of
- Willingness to learn other systems and processes is
- Ability to be flexible with schedule in order to meet
- Strong analytical, interpersonal, and organizational
- Strong financial skills.
- Must be self-directed, possess ability to use high degree of
judgment, work independently with minimum supervision in a
fast-paced deadline driven environment.
- Attention to detail and ability to multitask essential.
- Must be a team player with a strong service-oriented
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and ability
to work effectively in a deadline- driven environment
- Possesses a willingness and ability to support a diverse and
inclusive campus community.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND AND EDUCATION CHECK REQUIRED
Recruiting Start Date:
Job Posting Title:
BioMed Shared Services Assistant Director - CNE
BioMed Research Administration
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Position Work Location:
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any
staff position at Brown University you must submit an application
form for each position for which you believe you are qualified.
Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please
include a cover letter and resume with each position
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
As an EEO/AA employer
, Brown University provides
equal opportunity and prohibits discrimination, harassment and
retaliation based upon a person’s race, color, religion, sex, age,
national or ethnic origin, disability, veteran status, sexual
orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other
characteristic protected under applicable law, and caste, which is
protected by our University policies.