Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics, UMKC School of
The School of Dentistry Orthodontics Residency Clinic is seeking a
Senior Dental Assistant to serve the needs of residents, patients
and their families, the residency director, attending faculty, and
other staff. This position is essential to our core instructional
and service missions. The Orthodontics Residency Clinic has
approximately 250 patient visits per week. This Senior Dental
Assistant communicates with patients and their parents/guardians
regarding treatment, actively assists the residents and attending
faculty with direct patient care. Additional responsibilities
include maintaining clinical supplies and equipment, coordinating
with company representatives for donated and purchased supplies,
assembling and maintaining the Material Safety Data book,
coordinating with the Residency Director regarding out-going
external orthodontic laboratory prescriptions, appliances, and fee
charges as well as performing other duties as assigned by the
Office Manager/Residency Coordinator and Residency Director.
Experience in digital dentistry including intraoral scanning, using
digital software, and 3D printing are highly desired.
The Senior Dental Assistant must exercise good judgement based on
previous experience, practices, and precedents to identify and
solve problems that arise in the Residency Clinic in consultation
with the Residency Director, Office Manager/Residency Coordinator
and Departmental attending faculty.
Duties will include, but are not limited to:
• Prepare dental treatment areas through disinfection and
• Prepare, sterilize, disinfect, and maintain dental instruments,
supplies and equipment
• Greeting and seating patients as they arrive
• Actively prepare and assist resident and attending faculty with
all facets of screenings, consults, and orthodontic treatment
• Keep the patient's mouth clean and dry during procedures
• Assist with obtaining needed x-rays (including but not limited to
panoramic, cephalometric and periapical)
• Instruct patients on proper dental hygiene
• Assist in delegated charting within the electronic health
• Maintain proper inventory of supplies stocked at all times
• Answering questions or directing the appropriate questions to the
residents and attending faculty
• Maintaining the highest standards regarding patient safety,
privacy and OHSA protocols
• Assist with digital workflow including coordinating 3D printing,
maintaining printers, and maintaining printer supplies
• Work as part of a staff team and interact well with other staff
team members including Dental Assistants, Office Manager/Residency
Coordinator, Receptionist, Patient Coordinator
• High school diploma or equivalent
• At least 2 years of experience from which comparable knowledge
and skills can be acquired is necessary
• Certifications as required by regulatory agencies as
- Certified Dental Assistant (CDA) OR
- Pass the Missouri Test of Basic Dental Assisting Skills
• Prefence given to Expended Function Dental Assistant (EFDA) with
• Previous experience with coordinating treatment with clinical
residents and preparing them to work effectively with a dental
• Excellent customer service and communication skills
Anticipated Hiring Range
Up to $19.00 per hour, commensurate with experience, education, and
Applicants must combine all application materials (cover letter,
resume, and list of five references with contact information) into
one PDF or Microsoft Word document and upload as a resume
Limit document name to 50 characters. Maximum size limit is 11MB.
Do not include special characters (e.g., /, &, %, etc.).
If you are experiencing technical problems, please call (800)
Note, you must provide a description of job duties for each Work
Experience entry on your application. Please carefully review the
application instructions section of our Careers page prior to
submitting your materials.
Review of applications will begin immediately.
40 hours per week (1.0 FTE), benefit-eligible, staff
This position is eligible for University benefits. As part of your
total compensation, the University offers a comprehensive benefits
package, including medical, dental and vision plans, retirement,
paid time off, short- and long-term disability, paid parental
leave, paid caregiver leave, and educational fee discounts for all
four UM System campuses. For additional information on University
benefits, please visit the Faculty & Staff Benefits website at
We value the uniqueness of every individual and strive to ensure
each person’s success. Contributions from individuals with diverse
backgrounds, experiences and perspectives promote intellectual
pluralism and enable us to achieve the excellence that we seek in
learning, research and engagement. This commitment makes our
university a better place to work, learn and innovate.
In your application materials, please discuss your experiences and
expertise that support these values and enrich our missions of
teaching, research, and engagement.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of Missouri System is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal Opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and
applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated
ability and competence without unlawful discrimination on the basis
of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex,
pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression,
age, disability, or protected veteran status, or any other status
protected by applicable state or federal law. This policy applies
to all employment decisions including, but not limited to,
recruiting, hiring, training, promotions, pay practices, benefits,
disciplinary actions and terminations. For more information, visit
or call Human
Resources at 816-235-1621.
To request ADA accommodations, please call the Office of Equity
& Title IX at 816-235-6910.
A completed COVID-19 vaccination series is required unless exempted
for medical or religious reason.