Carthage College seeks a Hall Director for our Residence Life team.
The Hall Director is an 11-month, live-in professional staff member
who works closely with other College personnel to address the
social, developmental, and academic needs of our students.
The Hall Director is responsible for assisting an Area Coordinator
in developing and maintaining a robust and thriving community
within their designated residence halls. The Hall Director is
responsible for building a community with our students and
encourage students to combine their co-curricular experiences with
their liberal arts curriculum to enhance their educational and
- Assist in the community development responsibilities for a
traditional residence facility housing up to 400 students.
- Assist the Area Coordinator in community development for an
entire residential area (comprised of two or more residence halls)
of up to 800 students.
- Hire, train, and supervise a staff of up to eleven Resident
Assistants and one Senior Resident Assistant.
- Participate in on-call response and crisis management across
- Serve as a conduct officer for first-level offenses in their
- Work with students, individually and in groups, to resolve
concerns related to student success and retention.
- Complete administrative processes that include damage billing,
opening and closing the Residence Hall, Room Condition Report
- Manage occupancy and room change process for the residence
- Oversee a residence hall programming budget.
- Serve on one committee for the Office of Residential Life (i.e.
student staff training and development or student staff
- Other collateral assignments as assigned within the residential
life department and division of student affairs.
- Bachelor’s Degree is required
REQUIRED SKILLS, ABILITIES AND/OR LICENSURE
- Student Affairs experience as a student is required.
- Requires excellent oral and written communication skills to
effectively communicate with employees, students, and faculty
- Requires the ability to use a personal computer and Web
browser, Microsoft Office Suite, Google Mail, and Carthage
- Requires knowledge of and the ability to use a variety of
standard office equipment such as a telephone and computer
- Requires the ability to perform basic mathematical calculations
(such as addition/subtraction) to maintain budget.
- Requires the ability to travel occasionally to conduct College
Located on the shore of Lake Michigan in the thriving
Chicago-Milwaukee corridor, Carthage College blends the best
liberal arts traditions with desirable degree programs,
transformative learning opportunities, and personal attention from
dedicated faculty and staff. Our beautiful campus, an 80-acre
arboretum with stunning lake views, is home to 2,600 undergraduate
students and 200 graduate students. Founded in 1847, Carthage is
consistently named a Best Midwestern College by The Princeton
Review and a Most Innovative School by U.S. News & World
Report. All Carthage employees play a vital part in the success of
our students, as we work together to create an environment where
all can achieve their true potential. Grow with Carthage.
Carthage College is an equal opportunity employer (EOE)
dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse community.
We welcome applications from a broad spectrum of people, including
members of ethnic minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with
disabilities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration
for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender
expression, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin,
protected veteran status or status as an individual with a