This is an entry level position within the Energy Management
Systems (EMS) department. This position supports the Energy
Management Systems team’s operation’s by acting as an intermediary
1) the operators in the EMS operations center; and
2) the senior Facilities Maintenance Technician (FMT)“rover”
assigned with trouble-shooting more difficult HVAC issues on behalf
of the various Building Maintenance Operations (BMO) “zone”
Together with the assigned “senior”/”roving” FMT this position
rounds out a “dynamic duo” that provides “field” leadership for
responding to service calls - investigating, resolving and/or
escalating/expanding their respective team’s involvement as
necessary to ensure a tenacious and capable focused effort is made
to address complex HVAC problems that other BMO technicians
determine are beyond their individual skill sets or resources to
This position requires a solid understanding of both HVAC equipment
and Building Automation Systems (BAS) and the electrical circuits
that power them. This position spends equal time:
a) in the “field” (e.g. campus buildings & mechanical rooms)
investigating the operating equipment; and
b) in the Department’s office areas reviewing EMS application’s
(operation screens, alarms, etc.) as well as documentation
including system designs, specifications, logic diagrams, sequences
of operation, and operations & maintenance manuals.
- Collaboratively troubleshooting complex HVAC problems with the
designated “roving” FMT for assigned 2fix work orders involving the
Energy Management System’s departments Building Automation System.
Research operational conditions, sequences, alarms, trends, issues
and advise, recommend, oversee and otherwise assist the operational
units with making corrections/repairs as required. Provide
guideline to FMT in troubleshoot field control devices,
electromagnetic and building automation equipment, assist Zone to
seek help from vendor if issue or problem need to be solved by
- Assist Zone techs on orders required parts and materials in
advance for minor and major repair work to maintain a safe,
functional, clean, efficient and attractive living and learning
- Monitors building automation screens, schedules, set points,
operational parameters to get familiar with dynamic campus
conditions and systems and to identify probable concerns and
opportunities for system improvements.
- Performs other corrective and planned maintenance on BAS
building automation control systems, energy metering and related
equipment as assigned to ensure continuous operation and prevent
equipment break down through proactive and scheduled maintenance.
Supports supervisor with tracking deferred maintenance
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- This position is designed to enhance EMS team’s customer
service through enhanced communication, perspective, and person to
person attention for the FMT’s as their dedicated liaison for
complex and emergency issues involving Direct Digital Controlled
Building Automation and Energy Management systems in order to
assist them with ensuring efficiency and proper operation of HVAC
systems providing managing the comfort for 2.7 Million square feet
of the “conditioned” living and learning environment.
- This position evaluates field conditions through the EMS unit’s
BAS systems, performs and provides recommendations for course of
actions needed to the Zone Manager’s in order to restore effective,
reliable and efficient operation of installed systems.
- This position working with the “roving” FMT assists with
monitoring, advising, and directing the repair, replacement and
proper configuration/set up of Siemens and/or Automated Logic’s
direct digital control (DDC) BAS system components (e.g. actuators,
sensors, etc.) of equipment by in-house and/or contract
- This position is a key position within the Facilities
Management customer service model and as such should be focused on
working with the senior FMT to addressing assigned work orders, in
a timely and diligent manner, in order to resolve customer
concerns/impacts professionally on behalf of the department.
Required Education and Experience
- Full Time
- Sr Coordinator/Sr Analyst A
Preferred Education and Experience
- High School graduate or GED
- Building Automation System Certification in hardware, software,
system architecture layout/ requirement and application front/ back
- 2 to 3 years operation experience on computerized building
automation/BAS field devices troubleshoot experience, capable to
read BAS system control diagrams/shop drawings.
- 3 to 5 years of experience in HVAC system operation, repair and
component trouble shooting. Working understanding of HVAC system
principles, sequences of operations. Ability to read and understand
Engineer’s drawings, specifications and Manufacturer’s
Installation, Operation and Maintenace manuals
- Working knowledge of BAS point’s types (Analog & Digital
Inputs & Outputs), FLN devices, BLN modular control
- Working understanding of IP based networks &
communications, relational databases, Excel, Access and MS
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- LEED Green Associates or Certified Energy Manager
- Associate Degree or certificate in MS Operating System,
Computer Information System, Computer Science, Database Management
- 3rd class or higher Stationary Engineer’s license or HVAC or
refrigeration vocational school certification.
- Strong knowledge of BAS complex networking and security.
- Capable to read/ understand the control program in variety
format of BAS.
- Extensive Building Commissioning experience or Building MPE
- This position requires experience working in a diverse cultural
environment and managing a diverse workforce and a breadth of
experience with computer systems and building mechanical and
- Light duty may not be available in this position.
- This position requires a schedule consistent with the
departments “core hours” but also may require afterhours
- Hiring offers for this position are contingent on successful
completion of a background check.
- To ensure the health and safety of our community AU requires
COVID-19 vaccinations for faculty and staff. Click here to learn
more about our health and safety directive.
Current American University Employees:
- Click here to learn about American University's unique benefit
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at
American University, please log intoAsuccessfulU through themyAU
portal . Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which
will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University
careers site, email firstname.lastname@example.org .
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action
institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and
regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of
race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy),
age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal
appearance, gender identity and expression, family
responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran
status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases
under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its
programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: