Send resumes to McGee Stoller (email@example.com)
Title: Head Bowling Coach/Enrollment Counselor
Date: September 2023
FLSA Status: Exempt – Full time, 12-month position
Salary: $38,000 per year
Reports to: Athletic Director and Director of Enrollment Communications
Cottey College is seeking an individual to serve as the Head Bowling Coach and Enrollment Counselor. This position is dedicated 0.5 FTE to bowling and 0.5 FTE to serve as an enrollment counselor. This is a full-time position. The position requires alternative work hours outside of a traditional 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. work week with some weekends as well as travel.
Head Bowling Coach Summary: Under the general direction of the Athletic Director, performs a wide range of functions related to the development and implementation of a competitive bowling program. The individual should place an emphasis on the academic success of the student athletes, while also meeting the roster size expectations for the program. Cottey College is a member of the American Midwest Conference (AMC) and the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of the sport of bowling. Effectively communicate and convey knowledge of the sport. Proficiently demonstrate the techniques and strategies of bowling. Supervise and oversee all team practices and workouts. Maintain a consistent, fair, and appropriate level of discipline among team members. Exhibit professional conduct in accordance with the college's values. Actively promote and represent the college in various settings. Recruit talented and high-quality student-athletes for the program. Monitor and track the academic progress of student-athletes. Coordinate and administer home athletic events. Collaborate with the athletic department to manage and organize athletic schedules. Provide statistical information and game results to the Cottey College Sports Information Director. Arrange transportation and travel logistics for the team. Participate in program specific and department wide fundraising and community service activities. Organize on-campus and off-campus Champions of Character activities. Implement appropriate in-season and off-season training programs. Work closely with the Athletic Training Staff to address player injuries and rehabilitation. Foster positive relationships with alumni of the college. Manage and allocate the team's budget.
- Other duties as assigned.
Enrollment Counselor Summary: Under the general direction of the director of enrollment communications, the Enrollment Counselor works in an assigned territory to perform a wide range of admission, financial aid, marketing, public relations and recruiting duties to articulate the vision and mission of Cottey College. The Enrollment Counselor will advise and counsel prospective students and families regarding admission procedures and financial aid processes, and provide an overview of Cottey’s philosophy and history, academic programs and curriculum, campus organizations, resources and services, student activities and residential life to multiple internal and external constituencies.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Identify, recruit, and enroll prospective students through:
- Written, oral, and electronic communication during one-on-one, small group or formal presentations. Planning and executing special events. Managing all aspects of a domestic territory including recruitment travel and building and maintaining relationships with high school counselors, community- based organizations, alumnae and P.E.O. members. Attendance at college fairs, hosting student gatherings, meeting with students and families individually or in small groups at high schools and community visits or on- campus. Participation in office- and campus wide recruitment activities including the student ambassador organization, campus visitation programs, orientation and tele- recruiting, among others. Full involvement with enterprise-wide technical platforms and web-based services related to all enrollment management areas including online applications, registration and deposits Database management of prospective students at every stage of the enrollment process. The review of applications, evaluation of academic records, computation of grade point averages. Maintain associations with local and state enrollment organizations to help provide input regarding current admission procedures and practices as well as ideas and suggestions for improvement. Be an active member of the Cottey community. Other duties, as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
Candidates must demonstrate an ability to effectively lead within a college setting. This includes the areas of supervision, communication, time management, public relations, program planning, budget development, facility and equipment management, office procedures, and business operating systems. Ability to understand and maximize the use of tools such as online career management platforms and student databases.
Skills requirements include effective written and verbal communication to a diverse range of audiences and settings. This would include the proper handling of emotional
situations, financial aptitude, and the ability to work well with internal and external constituents.
Possession of a valid Missouri motor vehicle operator's license (Class E) to drive college vehicles, and the willingness to use personal vehicle in the event that a college vehicle is not available.
Credentials and Experience:
- Possession of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- Ability to climb several flights of stairs several times each day. Ability to lift, push or pull up to 20 pounds. Ability to sit or stand for long periods. Valid Class E driver’s license required or can be obtained upon hire.