The School of Kinesiology in the College of Education and Human Development at the University of Minnesota seeks to fill a tenure-track Assistant Professor position in kinesiology or sport management. The successful candidate will have education, expertise, and research accomplishments in areas of innovative technology related to human movement, health promotion, and/or sport (e.g., biomechanics, motor control and learning, esports, sport consumer behavior, exercise physiology, health, sport performance psychology). Innovative technology-related areas include but are not limited to using computer vision to develop esports match strategies, using extended reality (AR/VR/MR) and serious games to support wellness and improve health assessments or enhance sport performance, optimizing sport business outcomes and decision-making through artificial intelligence and machine learning, improving gait evaluations, and supporting physiological evaluations. The candidate is expected to demonstrate the ability or show the potential to collaborate across disciplines as well as show a strong commitment to mentoring and training graduate students.
This is a 9-month, full-time appointment located on the Minneapolis campus with a target start date of August 2024.
This position will be responsible for:
- Maintaining a productive research and publication program on innovative technology related to human movement, health promotion and/or sport
- Securing internal and external funding for their research agenda on innovative technology related to human movement, health promotion and/or sport
- Teaching undergraduate and graduate courses in their subdiscipline of kinesiology or sport management as well as developing curriculum on innovative technology related to human movement, health promotion and/or sport
- Recruiting, supervising, and mentoring graduate and undergraduate students in their sub discipline of kinesiology or sport management who are interested in studying innovative technology related to human movement, health promotion and/or sport
- Providing service to the University, community, and profession
- An earned doctorate, in Kinesiology, Sport Management, or related field, required by the start date of appointment
- Record of or demonstrated potential for publication and research productivity on innovative technology in kinesiology or sport management
- Evidence of or demonstrated potential for a national and international scholarly reputation on innovative technology in kinesiology or sport management
- Evidence of or demonstrated potential for effective undergraduate and graduate instruction related to kinesiology or sport management, and related to innovative technology research and applications within these disciplines
- Evidence of a commitment to multicultural perspectives in research and practice on innovative technology in kinesiology or sport management
- Demonstrated commitment to advocating for an inclusive environment for all backgrounds and identities
- PhD in Kinesiology, Sport Management, or related field, required by the start date of appointment
- Strong record of research, publication, and funding aligned with our School mission
- Strong record of teaching and mentoring in higher education
- Postdoctoral training
- Industry experience in innovative technology
How to Apply:
Applications must be submitted online via https://hr.myu.umn.edu/jobs/ext/357690 Application Deadline: The initial screening of applications will begin on November 7, 2023. For best consideration, please submit application materials by October 31, 2023.
This position requires that you attach the following documents as PDFs:
1) cover letter
2) detailed curriculum vitae
3) names and contact information of three references
4) a statement of teaching interests (2-3 pages)
5) a statement of research interests (2-3 pages)
The teaching and research statements should include prior or proposed contributions to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
For general questions about the application process, contact Cindy Xiong, email@example.com. To request an accommodation during the application process, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call (612)-624-UOHR (8687).
The University offers a generous benefits package which include:
- Competitive wages, paid holidays Low-cost medical, dental, and pharmacy plans Health care and dependent daycare flexible spending accounts Excellent retirement plans with generous employer contribution and immediate vesting Employer paid disability and life insurance Wellbeing program with reduced insurance premiums Tuition reimbursement opportunities covering 75% of eligible tuition Opportunities for growth and promotion Employee Assistance Program
For more information specific to employee groups, please visit https://hr.umn.edu/Employees/New-Employees/Deciding-Your-Benefits.
The University recognizes and values the importance of diversity and inclusion in enriching the employment experience of its employees and in supporting the academic mission. The University is committed to attracting and retaining employees with varying identities and backgrounds.
The University of Minnesota provides equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, public assistance status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. To learn more about diversity at the U: http://diversity.umn.edu
The University of Minnesota, Twin Cities (UMTC), is among the largest public research universities in the country, offering undergraduate, graduate, and professional students a multitude of opportunities for study and research. Located at the heart of one of the nation's most vibrant, diverse metropolitan communities, students on the campuses in Minneapolis and St. Paul benefit from extensive partnerships with world-renowned health centers, international corporations, government agencies, and arts, nonprofit, and public service organizations.
At the University of Minnesota, we are proud to be recognized by the Star Tribune as a Top Workplace for 2021, as well as by Forbes as Best Employers for Women and one of America’s Best Employers (2015, 2018, 2019, 2023), Best Employer for Diversity (2019, 2020), Best Employer for New Grads (2018, 2019), and Best Employer by State (2019, 2022).
About the Department
The School of Kinesiology advances interdisciplinary knowledge about physical activity and human movement in order to promote lifelong health and well-being in local, national, and global communities. Our innovative research, high-quality teaching, and collaborative outreach focus on the science and management of physical activity and human movement within contexts such as exercise, health care, and sport. We offer three undergraduate majors serving over 500 students (BS in Kinesiology, Sport Management, Physical Activity, and Health Promotion) and enroll over 150 students in six graduate degree programs (MEd in Sport and Exercise Science, Sport Management, Physical Activity and Health; MA in Sport Management; MS and PhD in Kinesiology with seven emphasis areas). Our faculty comprise 15 tenured or tenure track faculty and 9 full time non-tenure track faculty. https://www.cehd.umn.edu/kin/
About the College
The College of Education and Human Development (CEHD), the fourth largest college at the University, contributes to a just and sustainable future through engagement with the local and global communities to enhance human learning and development at all stages of the life span. We know diversity is necessary to do our best work and foster our humanity. That’s why the CEHD community is collectively dedicated to cultivating an inclusive and equitable environment, embracing and celebrating all identities of our students, staff, and faculty. These values are also a moral imperative requiring continuous proactive measures and a firm stance against prejudice, discrimination, and systemic injustice. https://www.cehd.umn.edu/