Texas Lutheran University is seeking applicants for an Associate Vice President for Finance/Controller. This full-time position reports to the Vice President for Finance & Chief Financial Officer. The Associate Vice President for Finance/Controller is responsible for managing the university’s accounting, finance, and analysis functions; ensures compliance with Board of Regents' policies, university business policies and procedures, state and federal fiscal management laws and regulations, and generally accepted accounting standards and is responsible for developing and maintaining seamless data sharing among all divisions of the university.
- Manages several Finance departments and functions.
- Provide supervision, development, and evaluation of appropriate staff.
- Make hiring and firing decisions.
- Assist in managing the university’s cash position
- Participate in formulation of budgets and ensure that department operates within approved budgetary parameters.
- Ensure compliance with institutional policies and procedures
- Manage all facets of the university accounting system from daily operations through the annual audit.
- Prepare routine and requested financial statements, accounting reports, and analysis; prepare all reports required for government compliance, as well as those needed for internal, peer group, or accreditation reporting.
- Maintain accurate and timely computer and paper files for general ledger and other accounting transactions; seek and recommend improvements; ensure an efficient and secure system.
- Develop and maintain inventory and fixed assets processes.
- Provide liaison with campus regarding accounting matters.
- Manage the annual audits, including university, federal funds, and retirement plan, ensuring effectiveness, efficiency, and timeliness.
- Respond to university audit management letters; address and resolve management letter issues.
Position requirements include:
- A degree in Accounting 10 years progressive experience in accounting and management. Higher education experience is desirable
- Thorough understanding of generally accepted accounting principles and related fund accounting principles
- Knowledge of computing and computer-assisted fiscal and administrative systems; software to quantify and illustrate complex financial reports, comparisons, impacts, and/or projections
- Skill in examining and re-engineering operations and procedures, formulating policies and developing and implementing new strategies and procedures
- Superior communication skills, both oral and written
- Ability to develop and implement effective fiscal/accounting policies and financial controls; plan, implement, and direct a varying range of accounting and associated information systems projects and initiatives; evaluate and assess the financial viability and legality of contract, grant, and/or financial award arrangements; interpret audit information and to institute financial policy, procedure, and/or operational corrections and modifications
- High degree of judgment is required to deal with complex factors which are not easily evaluated and make decisions and develop policies to cover situations for which there is little precedent
- Must be able to maintain strict confidentiality
- Strong analytical skills
- Understand and support the mission and strategic plan of Texas Lutheran University
Benefits are competitive. Texas Lutheran University, an accredited university affiliated with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, is located 35 miles from downtown San Antonio. For more information about TLU, consult our web site at www.tlu.edu. Please submit an application (available at www.tlu.edu/jobs), a resume, and the contact information for at least three professional references to:
Texas Lutheran University
1000 W. Court Street
Seguin, TX 78155
Fax: (830) 372-6409
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until an appointment is made. Texas Lutheran University has been consistently recognized as a “Great College to Work For” by ModernThink. Texas Lutheran University (TLU) is an official U.S. News & World Report “Best Colleges” selection among regional colleges in the West, ranking second on the list for “Best Value,” and fifth overall. This is the eighth consecutive year TLU has been featured on the “Best Value” rankings. Other notable recognitions include TLU’s acknowledgment as a top 20 regional college for Social Mobility—the fourth year the university has appeared in this category. The University is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and also is subject to the provisions of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 (IRCA). Texas Lutheran University is committed to enhancing diversity and inclusion across all levels of the University. Candidates who believe they can contribute to this goal are strongly encouraged to apply.