Founded in 1764, Brown is a leading institution for education,
discovery, and global intellectual progress as well as one of the
largest employers in Rhode Island. Working at Brown brings more
than just a paycheck and generous benefits; it offers an
opportunity to contribute to a greater good. Join us in supporting
the pursuit of knowledge and individual growth that defines higher
education and enriches our community.
The Associate Director, Communications Strategy and Planning plays
a key role in the development of and strategic oversight for a
comprehensive content strategy for the Division of Advancement’s
broad alumni and donor communications—including the “Alumni &
Friends” online channels and related platforms and
publications—that supports the Division’s mission and aligns with
established University frameworks, priorities, and digital
engagement initiatives. The Associate Director is a strong
collaborator, working closely with content creators, strategists,
designers, videographers, project managers, and division and
departmental and University communications staff to successfully
execute projects and ensure the highest quality and
The Associate Director assists with overseeing the implementation
and continual improvement of the strategy, including proactively
planning and producing content, assisting with message development,
and analyzing impact. Along with other team members, the Associate
Director also consults with Advancement Division partners on the
creation of plans, content, and communication materials that align
with this strategy, support unit-level goals, and improve
coordination across Division communications.
The Associate Director plays a key advisory role on plans to
enhance digital engagement with alumni and donors and develops
relationships with communications staff in other University
departments, schools, and institutes to collaborate on activities
that promote and strengthen alumni and donor engagement with
The Associate Director is responsible for overseeing the day-to-day
work of the Assistant Director of Digital Communications and
student interns as needed. The Associate Director also works
closely with other team members to collect, review and assess data
and user research, and supports the Director with the leadership of
the team, projects that support team processes, and the development
of resources for Division communicators.
Brown University is committed to advancing diversity, inclusion and
equity. Candidates from historically underrepresented groups are
particularly encouraged to apply. Brown University is an
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in a related field such as
media, communications, marketing, nonprofits, development and/or
- Experience developing, distributing, and measuring content for
social media and web-based communications channels
- Experience reporting, measuring, and analyzing web, email, and
social media data analytics and familiarity with related tools,
such as Google Analytics. Ability to assess content performance as
a basis for planning.
- Experience with web, email, and social media platforms,
publishing, and content management systems
- Working knowledge of web content management systems
- Basic knowledge of HTML/CSS, SEO, web UX/UI design best
- Familiarity with Google Suite or other related products and
- Experience developing and implementing digital content strategy
for web and social channels, preferably in a higher education and
- Experience in an advancement setting and with philanthropy and
- Familiarity with team collaboration and project management
tools like Slack and ClickUp
- Familiarity with Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, and other Adobe
Creative Suite programs
- Knowledge of user research practices
- Familiarity with laws and statutes governing privacy,
copyright, fair use and other areas of intellectual property as it
pertains to distributing content
- Demonstrated commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and
Belonging (DEIB), including experience/ability to identify and
emphasize diverse perspectives in programming, communications, and
- Demonstrated experience developing digital content, maintaining
websites, and managing Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and other
social media platforms for higher education, business, political or
other clients. Understanding of communication strategy and the
discipline it requires.
- Knowledge of digital communications and social media strategy
and best practices.
- Strategic thinker and problem-solver who can align content work
with project and program goals.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, staff management, and
persuasive skills. Must be able to build strong relationships and
work collaboratively with colleagues at all levels.
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills. Ability to
work with content creators and to provide coaching and constructive
feedback that results in high-quality, high-impact
- Ability to work effectively under deadlines, manage multiple
simultaneous projects, and produce high-quality, error-free
- Experience using Adobe’s suite of web development tools
- Experience collecting and analyzing digital communications
- Engage in regular professional development to remain
knowledgeable about best practices in digital communications.
All offers of employment are contingent upon a criminal background
check and education verification satisfactory to Brown. Applicants
are asked to provide a cover letter and resume with their
Recruiting Start Date:
Job Posting Title:
Associate Director, Communications Strategy and Planning
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Position Work Location:
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any
staff position at Brown University you must submit an application
form for each position for which you believe you are qualified.
Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please
include a cover letter and resume with each position
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact email@example.com
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
As an EEO/AA employer
, Brown University provides
equal opportunity and prohibits discrimination, harassment and
retaliation based upon a person’s race, color, religion, sex, age,
national or ethnic origin, disability, veteran status, sexual
orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other
characteristic protected under applicable law, and caste, which is
protected by our University policies.