ACM: The School of Cinematic Arts (SCA) at the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa invites applications for a tenure‐track Assistant Professor position in Animation with a focus on 2D animation to begin in Fall 2024. We are looking for a collaborative and talented colleague with strong creative initiative and knowledge of animation history who is well prepared to teach intensive hands-on introductory and advanced animation production classes.
As Hawaiʻi’s only film school, SCA is at the forefront of cinematic arts in the Pacific. Located in Honolulu, SCA is dedicated to academic and creative excellence through its Bachelor of Arts degree designed to encourage innovation and collaboration with an emphasis on Hawaiʻi, the Pacific, and Asia. Situated in the heart of a state with a robust film and television industry, SCA encourages professional development, mentorship, and community engagement through a variety of programs including internships, master classes, and industry screenings and film festivals.
Duties and Responsibilities (in the areas of creative research, teaching, and service):
- Teach beginning to advanced courses in 2D animation;
- Assist in the development, support, and teaching of a curricular program in 2D animation. This program will stress multiple theoretical, critical, historical, and technical approaches in the study, design, application, and distribution of animation;
- Develop opportunities for collaborative projects with industry partners and craft meaningful work opportunities for students through internships and employment;
- Development of creative scholarship in the faculty member’s field, leading to public screenings and presentations;
- Involvement in and presentations at nationally recognized professional organizations/conferences in the faculty member’s field;
- Help supervise animation labs;
- Involvement in service to the department, university and community;
- Advise student majors in the animation track;
- Other duties as assigned by the Chair.
- Terminal degree (M.F.A. or equivalent) in Animation or closely related field from a college or university of recognized standing (degree must be completed by August 2024).
- Professional experience and accomplishment in 2D animation as demonstrated through the creation, direction, and collaboration of projects that include 2D animation.
- Experience teaching animation.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and collegially with students, faculty, staff and administration.
- Demonstrated proficiency in and knowledge of traditional and digital character animation.
- Advanced and comprehensive knowledge and understanding of:
- 2D animation software including but not limited to ToonBoom Harmony, Storyboard Pro, and Adobe Creative Cloud Suite.
- Animation history.
- Experimental Animation Techniques.
- Knowledge and understanding of animation film production from concept through production.
- Experience in visual effects.
Click on the "Apply" button at the top right corner of the screen to complete an application and attach required documents:
- Letter of application that addresses abilities to meet duties and how minimum and desirable qualifications are met;
- Teaching philosophy;
- Curriculum vitae;
- Transcript(s) showing highest degree received; copies of transcripts acceptable at time of application, original transcript required at time of hire;
- URL link(s) to portfolio, samples, or professional or scholarly work;
- List of at least five references and contact information;
- Applicants should further discuss their suitability, collegiality and enthusiasm for creating and participating in programs across disciplines in a highly collaborative curriculum and their attentiveness to issues of race, gender and diversity in a multicultural society. Applications can be uploaded and submitted through NeoGov.
Review of applications will begin 11/15/2023, until the position is filled.
For more information and to apply, please follow this link: https://tinyurl.com/3vtj7ffx