Staff - Technology Support Specialist
Susquehanna University is the future-ready institution for today,
invested in cultivating intellectual grounding, active learning and
global citizenship for all students. Renowned as one of the finest
U.S. national liberal arts colleges, Susquehanna inspires and
challenges 2,200 enterprising, bright-minded students studying the
arts, business, humanities and sciences. Our students seize
opportunities through exceptional worldwide internships,
expert-guided research and an acclaimed study-abroad program,
leading to a transformative education that empowers each graduate
to realize their unique potential and lead a successful and
meaningful life. The Susquehanna River Valley with its fresh air
and overall pleasant year-round climate, provides four distinct
seasons amidst a backdrop of vibrant autumn foliage, occasional
winter snowfalls, flower-filled springs and warm summer evenings
illuminated by fireflies. Nearby outdoor recreational areas for
hiking, kayaking, fishing and skiing — and the bustling cultural
and commerce hubs of New York City, Washington D.C., Baltimore and
Philadelphia within a three-hour drive — present abundant
opportunities for learning and discovery.
The Technology Support Specialist
reports to the Manager of Technology Support, within the Office of
Information Technology. With a shared responsibility for the
technical, daily support of all client end technology; the training
and supervision of student techs; and the development and
maintenance of corresponding technical documentation, the
Technology Support Specialist will help to ensure a positive user
experience with IT devices and services. Collaboration with other
members of the Office of Information Technology is a critical
component to campus community service delivery. This position is
defined as a non-exempt position under FLSA regulations.
- University-owned computers, printers, scanners and
peripherals - Provides 1st and 2nd tier hardware and software
support for faculty, staff, lab, and classroom computers. This
includes setup and deployment of computers from disk imaging to
user setup, including data migration. Coordinates with
faculty/staff to identify pain points or persistent issues and
resolve. Responsible for PC diagnostic and repair, including
warranty repairs with vendors.
- Significant role with new employee onboarding process; focus on
setup of computer for new employees while familiarizing them with
IT services offered and support options, while ensuring they have
all resources and access to begin working. Offers basic onboarding
training as needed.
- Acts as a resource to other IT staff as they consult with users
to identify and resolve problems, understand needs, assess
feasibility, and develop effective technology solutions to meet
- Student-owned technology support - Provides 1st and
2nd tier network connectivity and software support for supported
student-owned technology assets, including computers, tablets,
smart phones, gaming systems, streaming devices, and Internet of
Things (IOT) devices. Provides hardware diagnostics and warranty
repair facilitation for student-owned computers.
- Student Techs - Manage student technical staff,
including routine training and daily professional development
- Technical documentation - Develops FAQs and technical
documentation for both IT Staff and end users. Update operational
procedural documentation as needed to reflect new or modified end
user and technician support procedures.
- General - On-call rotation that may require
after-hours support. Perform emergency support services during
evenings, weekends, and holidays as necessary to support the 24 × 7
information needs of students, faculty, and staff.
- Exhibits a customer centric focus in their daily work,
providing outstanding customer service and ensures customer
satisfaction to all internal and external constituencies.
- Provides back-up support to other team members in case of
absence or work overload.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- PC and Mac Notebook/Desktops & mobile devices
- Microsoft Windows & Apple Mac OS Client Operating
- Apple iOS and Android Mobile Operating Systems
- Microsoft Productivity Applications
- Cloud storage and collaboration tools (preferably Office 365,
OneDrive, and SharePoint Online)
- Remote client support tools (preferably Bomgar)
- Network Access Control Systems (preferably Impulse Safe
- Enterprise Antivirus Solutions (preferably Symantec)
- Client Systems Deployment and Management Tools (preferably
- IT ticketing and knowledgebase platforms (preferably
WebHelpDesk and KACE)
- Disk encryption technologies (preferably BitLocker and
- Various technical utilities, applications and data recovery
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Strong technical aptitude for client end technology with the
desire to learn emerging technologies
- Strong customer service skills, ability to communicate
effectively, both orally and in writing
- Ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies
in a diverse community
- Knowledge of technical writing and documentation
- Ability to train and mentor student staff
- Exhibits a strong IT security posture and strict adherence to
privacy and confidentiality
EducationEarned Associates degree required;
ExperienceOne year of experience in a
technology-related, direct customer service role required;
position will be mainly 10am to 7pm.
- Position requires the ability to stand or sit for extended
periods of time.
- Position requires the ability to move about the campus.
- Position requires the ability to talk and to hear
- Position requires occasional manual dexterity and the ability
to use fingers, hands, and arms to feel, handle, and reach.
- Position requires occasional stooping, crouching, and
- Position requires the ability to occasionally lift up to 50
- Working conditions are both indoor and outdoor.
Bachelor’s degree in Information
Technology computing systems emphasis preferred.
Experience in a higher education, liberal arts campus setting
Special Instructions to the Applicant:
Number of Months:
Other Number of Months:
Work Schedule/Hours per Week:
Open Until Filled:
Anticipated Start Date:
To apply, visit https://jobs.susqu.edu/postings/3550