Events, Communications and Alumni Coordinator
Pay Grade Level
Health, dental, vision, life, short-term and long-term disability
insurance, flexible spending and dependent care accounts, health
savings accounts, Michigan Public School Employees Retirement
Systems, TIAA 403(b), generous sick and vacation time, paid
holidays, modified summer schedule, YMCA membership, Wellness
Program, tuition reimbursement and professional development
Job Summary/Basic Function
The Events, Communications & Alumni Specialist is the community
face of Bay College, developing and maintaining strong community
and cooperative partnerships by managing community events on
campus, expanding cultural enrichment opportunities, inspiring
marketing communications and engaging alumni.
• Associate’s degree in business, management, marketing,
journalism, communications, public relations, event planning or a
• Minimum of two years of experience in an educational environment,
event planning, communications, marketing public relations or
• Strong writing, customer service, relationship building,
professional communication and the ability to think and act
• Demonstrated ability to work with current technology, adapt to
change, coordinate events/projects and maintain well-organized
• Proficient with computer applications, database administration,
email marketing, digital communications, web content, and social
media (Facebook, LinkedIn)
• Software skills at an intermediate to advanced level including MS
Office Suite (Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
• Bachelor’s degree in related field
Months Per Year
Hours Worked Per Week
Typical hours are Monday – Friday between 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM. This
position will flex hours to work some evening and weekend hours
based on event schedules.
Advancement Services Manager
Work environment characteristics described here are representative
of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform
the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may
be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the
employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, but
may be loud in areas of equipment operation.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature
and level of work being performed by personnel assigned into this
classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list
of all job duties performed by personnel so classified. Job related
functions may be performed with or without accommodations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those
that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the
employee is required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger,
handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and
arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or
hear; taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or
move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job
include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral
vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Manage all aspects of designated external-facing campus event
space and community reservations utilizing the College’s event
management system ( EMS ), including: assessment of risk, contracts
negotiation and creation, maintaining and adhering to the College’s
policies and procedures, accurate customer invoices, and the
coordination of catering, facility, and technology services.
- Manage community non-academic reservation inquiries, process
external reservation requests and provide support to the West
Campus reservation coordinator.
- Provide a high level of service throughout pre-event, event and
post-event, including extensive communication and customer
- Maximize revenue by securing event opportunities on campus,
through the development and maintenance of strong customer
relations, marketing, competitive pricing/packaging and the
execution of timely communications.
- Report and analyze facility monthly and annual usage, including
comparisons, trends to improve operations and more effective space
usage recommendations to leadership.
- Execute and implement Bay College employee training on all
modalities of the College’s event management system ( EMS ),
ensuring employees are capable of reserving space on campus and
corresponding services such as catering, setups and
- Develop and implement marketing strategies that promote campus
event space and the amenities available to the community at large,
including businesses, government, and non-profit entities from
across the UP, Michigan and beyond.
- Manage and review revenue and expenses of the College’s events
line-up to maintain corresponding budgets.
- Manage process and maintain event details within the College’s
Master Calendar ensuring proper web display, ticketing links,
scheduling and awareness of events at large, both internal and
- Support Foundation and Advancement department event
- Develop content and clearly communicate college-wide news and
happenings through content creation, media releases, social
engagement and other external communication channels.
- Manage the college media release process, including the
implementation of best practices, writing consistency/messaging,
verify and update media contacts, strategically publish across
social and digital platforms, including engagement with the College
website and social media sites.
- Encourage the creation of media releases across campus to
increase community awareness, diversity educational opportunities
- Identify strategic partnerships that increase media relations
and grow the College’s presence in the community and attract
positive media attention.
- Coordinate and execute all communication and promotional
efforts for the College’s annual Community Satisfaction Survey to
increase community awareness and participation.
- Oversee arts and culture event marketing, including the
management of email communications, digital communications and
social media events promotion.
- Promote college-sponsored events, including the publication of
content on community calendars/ websites, local chamber blasts,
community digital signage, social media, newspapers, TV and
- Seek opportunities and procure cultural-enrichment talent to
campus with the Besse Center manager and support events, including
- Manage and market Lunchtime Live! summer event series.
- Identify current students, alumni, and board members to portray
stories in digital campaigns and present online.
- Point of contact and coordinator for college interviews with
local media outlets.
- Develop and implement a sustainable action plan to increase
- Manage alumni database to track strategies, record activities
and maintain current alumni information.
- Create and publish alumni focused digital and email marketing
content, share on social media platforms and manage the college’s
LinkedIn account and email marketing platform – Constant
- Develop alumni networking events and other opportunities to
connect alumni with the College and students.
- Manage the Bay College Alumni volunteer board by providing
direction and administrative support through the scheduling of
meetings, setting agendas, recording minutes, and preparing
- Lead the College’s Alumni of the Year award process, including
the implementation of yearly communication plan, media releases,
and scheduling of commencement participation.
Perform other duties as assigned to support the mission of Bay
Beth Berube, Director of Human Resources
Shena Meffer, Human Resources Specialist
Posting Detail Information
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
Target application deadline is September 21, 2023
Quick Link for Internal Postings
Documents Needed to Apply
- Cover Letter
- Other Document
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Public Job Posting
- Internal Job Posting
- Agency Referral
- Personal Referral
- * What is the highest level of education attained?
- High School Diploma
- Associates Degree
- Bachelors Degree
- Masters Degree
- * How many years of experience do you have in this type of
- How proficient would you rank your technology skills with
various computer software applications and database management?
- Not proficient
- Somewhat proficient
- Very proficient