Job Vacancy Announcement
Science Lab Technician, Chemistry & Physical Sciences
Chemistry & Physical Sciences
Full Time or Part Time
Hiring Salary Range
$20.83 - $22.91/Hourly
Fixed Term/Tenure Track (Faculty Only)
Regular or Temporary
Job Description Summary
We are looking to fill two (2) vacancies – one for the
day shift and one for the night shift).
Responsible for all phases of laboratory preparations including
preparing and organizing equipment, materials and supplies for the
Physical Sciences laboratories. Prepares laboratory materials,
supplies, and equipment in advance of need and restocks and
supports the science laboratory courses as directed. Tracks
inventory and reports low stock well in advance of need. Adheres to
all laboratory safety regulations and protocols. Performs other
duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Three to four years of experience in Physical Science or (15)
credit hours of college level course work in science with an
emphasis in chemistry and physical science courses.
- Associate of Science degree in Physical Sciences
- Previous training in Good Laboratory Practices ( GLP ) is
CRITERIA : The following criteria, which are not the sole criteria
used in the final hiring decision, will be used to review the
applications of those persons who meet the stated minimum
qualifications and to select those qualified applicants who will be
interviewed. Other information and observations made during the
interview process may be considered in the selection process.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work harmoniously and effectively with students,
faculty, staff, and administrators.
- Demonstrates proper laboratory safety knowledge and techniques
and ensures that good laboratory practices are being followed.
- Knowledge of chemical and physical hazards and their
- Ability to operate a computer, using various software
- Ability to safely operate scientific equipment instrumentation;
including troubleshooting, calibration and/or repair of scientific
equipment when able.
- Knowledge of solution mechanics.
- Knowledge of proper handling of chemicals.
Is Background Check Required?
- Must be able to work the following schedule: Monday-Thursday
7:30 AM-12 NOON or 5:00-9:30 PM (1 position for each time
- Work schedule is subject to change based on department
- Ability to communicate effectively in spoken and written
- As required by the 1986 Immigration Act, be prepared to present
acceptable documentation showing your identity and that you are a
U.S. citizen or an alien who is authorized to work.
Is the incumbent responsible for working with minor children or
directly engaging with minor children on campus?
Posting Detail Information
Open Until Filled
Background Check Statement
Prince George’s Community College is committed to providing a safe
campus community. PGCC conducts background investigations for
applicants being considered for employment. Background
investigations include reference checks, a criminal history record
check, education verification, and when appropriate, a financial
(credit) report or driving history check.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Provide responses that demonstrate each criterion has been
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Which of the following best describes your level of completed
education? (Education details must be included in your
- Master's Degree or above from an accredited
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college/university
- Associate's Degree from an accredited college/university
- One to two years of college credit (30 credit hours is
equivalent to one year)
- Less than 30 credits from an accredited college/university
- High School Diploma or GED
- None of the above
- * Do you have three to four years of experience in Physical
Science or (15) credit hours of college level course work in
science with an emphasis in chemistry and physical science courses?
- * Briefly describe your experience referenced in the previous
question. Do not enter 'See Resume'
(Open Ended Question)
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- HigherEd Jobs
- Hispanic Outlook
- Personal Referral
- PGCC Website
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook)
- The Chronicle of Higher Ed
- The Washington Post
- Other: Please indicate below
- How did you hear about this employment opportunity? If you
selected 'Other' please indicate source:
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- Certifications - See Minimum Qualifications for type