The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), part of the State
University of New York and an internationally renowned college of
art, design, business and technology with a strong emphasis on
liberal arts, invites nominations and applications for a Department
Assistant in the Athletics and Recreation Department.
FIT Athletics & Recreation, an NJCAA DIII member
institution, aims to support Fashion Institute of Technology in its
mission to produce self-reliant graduates who are poised for a
lifetime of success, and who will be a credit to the institution,
their communities and the world. The department mission is to
provide a safe and welcoming environment for student involvement,
learning and school spirit opportunities enriching both body and
mind as a way of promoting holistic health and wellbeing.
Reporting to the Director of Athletics and Recreation, the
Athletics & Recreation Department Assistant will provide a wide
range of department administrative and secretarial support.
The Athletics & Recreation Department Assistant will primarily
be responsible for overseeing day to day athletics office
operations in addition to maintaining records and acting as the
primary department point of contact.
- Provide diplomatic customer service, serve as the department
point of contact, respond to internal and external inquiries.
- Provide administrative support to department staff.
- Process all department vouchers and purchase requisitions;
track invoices and payments through the internal Finance Enterprise
- Manage department budget spreadsheet by entering all expenses
and ensuring remaining balances match actual budget balances
- Service all external product, service and travel vendors.
- Work closely with department staff to coordinate and make
arrangements for all department travel needs including
ground/train/air, lodging, meals, entry forms / fees, tournament
- Disseminate important information and requests to all
department staff, especially coaches.
- Provide verbal and written department communications; maintain
and update department forms and templates; prepare correspondence,
forms and reports as needed.
- Coordinate and compile monthly and annual statistical reports
on department activity / facility use by requested deadlines;
analyze data to suggest reasons for changing trends when
- Compile and maintain department master schedules for Athletics
and Recreation programs.
- Assist with department-wide personnel action forms and new hire
- Coordinate and liaise with other college departments
specifically regarding joint ventures and processes.
- Work closely with Events Management, Facilities, Campus
Security and IT for special event / department meeting space
reservation and overall special event implementation.
- Organize and maintain all department records as per the New
York State Archives MI-1 record retention schedule; maintain
historical comparative data.
- Assist with maintenance of internal compliance records and
completion of required trainings / certifications for employees and
student-athletes on topics including but not limited to:
Coronavirus health and safety, concussion management, Title IX,
Campus Security Act, Clery Act, CPR/AED, workplace violence,
employee code of ethical conduct, diversity / equity / inclusion,
equipment use and game official evaluations.
- Advise director of anticipated department, athletic team,
recreation program, or office needs.
- Assist in implementation of special department initiatives and
- Administrate all annual athletics award ceremony
- Compile student-athletes national, regional and institution
level athletic and academic awards and prepare for presentation at
annual athletics awards ceremony.
- Complete required trainings as assigned.
The preceding description is not designed to be a complete list
of all duties and responsibilities required of the position; other
duties may be assigned consistent with the classification of the
- High School diploma required.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of appropriate business experience.
- Experience in a collegiate athletics and recreation office
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Strong organizational, communication and customer service
- Exceptional technological skills and mastery of Microsoft
Office and Google Workspace cloud based computing, productivity and
collaboration tools / software.
- Mastery of multiple internet based internal software programs
and information systems such as Finance Enterprise, Banner and 25
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple tasks /
- Adaptability and creative problem solving.
- Exceptional attention to detail and ability to maintain
diplomatic persistence in following up when necessary.
Review of applications will begin immediately until the position
is filled. Successful completion of a background check is required
for appointment to this position once an offer has been made.
Secretary III per Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA)
The UCE-FIT Collective Bargaining Agreement
(CBA) dictates the compensation, benefits, and conditions
of employment. Starting Salary: $46,781 per year with step
increments per Salary Schedule 89, after one year of
service and annually thereafter.
Days/Hours: M-F, 9am-5pm, in person; work schedule subject to
change based on needs of the department.
The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT) provides
comprehensive employee benefit programs designed to help keep our
faculty and staff and their families healthy, safe, happy, and
productive. Our programs also include a variety of components to
help our employees improve the quality and balance of their work
and family lives, and to help them prepare for their futures.
- Retirement Plans
- Health Care Plan and Dental Plan
- Employee Assistance Program
- Flexible Spending Account
- Commuter Benefit Plan
- FIT Tuition Exemption Program
- Paid Time Off (Vacation, Personal, Sick and
- 4-day Summer Workweek
For a full list of FIT benefits, visit our
Pay Equity by State Employers
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by
the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form,
that an applicant for employment provide his or her current
compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as
the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with
compensation. If such information has been requested from you
before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee
Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email
Fashion Institute of Technology is not able to provide
visa sponsorship for this position.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Statement
FIT is firmly committed to creating an environment that will
attract and retain people of diverse racial and cultural
backgrounds. By providing a learning and working environment that
encourages, utilizes, respects, and appreciates the full expression
of every individual's ability, the FIT community fosters its
mission and grows because of its rich, pluralistic experience. FIT
is committed to prohibiting discrimination, whether based on race,
color, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, religion,
ethnic background, age, disability, marital status, sexual
orientation, military service status, genetic information,
pregnancy, familial status, citizenship status (except as required
to comply with law), or any other criterion prohibited by
applicable federal, state, or local laws. FIT is committed to
providing equal opportunity in employment, including the
opportunity for upward mobility for all qualified individuals.
Applications from minorities, women, veterans, and persons with
disabilities are encouraged. Inquiries regarding FIT's
non-discrimination policies may be directed to the Affirmative
Action Officer/Title IX Coordinator, 212
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
This position will be required to constantly read and
comprehend, occasionally perform calculations, constantly verbally
communicate, constantly analyze, and constantly write. The working
conditions for this position will be on campus, primarily in an
office environment. The physical requirement for this position will
require constant sitting, constant standing, occasional bending,
occasional walking, and occasionally lifting 10 lbs. or
In order to be considered for the position, you must submit the
following documents online:
- Cover letter
- Unofficial transcript
- A list of three references with telephone numbers and email
Returning Applicants - Login to your FITNYC Careers
Account to check your submitted application material.
Please note that due to the anticipated volume of applications,
we are unable to contact each applicant about his or her
For more information about us, please visit FIT's website at: