$500 Sign on bonus!
Pay rate: $21.50/hr plus shift differential for weekends and
Lead Food Service Worker
Dining Unit Manager
Tuesday thru Thursday 11:30-8:30 & Friday
and Saturday is 6:00-2:30 Schedule may vary according to
departmental and Academy needs.
Essential Personnel* (details in the additional requirements)
Fiscal Year Weeks
Full year (52 weeks)
Serves in a lead role in managing front-of-the-house operations in
the dining hall, including all aspects of service and adherence to
Must embody the mission of the Dining Services Department: “A Team
of Professionals dedicated to providing quality food service with a
- Lead food service workers in food presentation and service,
making sure all stations are stocked and consistently maintained,
ensuring staffing levels, ensuring that food is appropriately
labeled and that printed media is correct and posted.
- Communicates and works with cooks on quality, presentation,
temperature checks and service of daily menu items.
- Makes decisions to reject food items that are not up to
standard because of taste or appearance.
- Ensures that food and beverage equipment are operational at the
- Ensures adequate supply of trays, dishes, napkins, utensils and
condiments each day.
- Ensures that serving times are followed, opening and closing
the hot line according to schedule.
- Ensures that all foods are served in accordance with HAACP
standards, policies and procedures.
- Schedules and records reservations for private dining rooms and
informs staff of reservations.
- Records accurate counts of meals, baked goods and paper
supplies for each meal.
- Informs unit manager of any problems, requests or
- Be prepared to answers guests’ questions regarding all prepared
foods, including but not limited to the ingredients, methods of
preparation and known allergens.
- Keeps up-to-date on emergency procedures and be prepared to
implement when necessary.
- Executes dining hall opening and closing procedures.
- Promotes a positive and congenial atmosphere for students,
employees and other customers.
- Weight pre-consumer waste using the LeanPath system
- Help facilitate pre-meal focus meetings. Provide First Cook
with talking points that should be addressed with team.
- Collaborates with the unit manager to achieve an efficient,
organized operation and promote a positive attitude among the
- Consistently trains staff on effective Dining Services
operations with enthusiasm and a spirit of cooperation, including
customer service, food service and sanitation.
- Ensures that staff members adhere to sanitation and safety
standards in all dining and serving areas.
- Ensures that all Dining Services standards and procedures are
Knowledge, Skills and Competencies
- Ensures that all areas of the dining room are cleaned and
maintained, including tables, chairs, floors, equipment and
- Practices proper cleaning procedures and observes all MSDS
policies/procedures for safety and sanitation.
- Maintains material safety data sheets, materials and chemical
use and needs.
- Obeys all local, state, and federal safety health codes.
- Follows the top 8 food allergens and ensures that these
ingredients are clearly labeled with an allergy warning.
- Updates allergens on the digital menu boards.
- Ability to discuss food ingredients, including allergens, and
preparation methods with guests.
- Ability to perform basic math computations.
- Respect for diversity of identities and experiences, an
orientation toward equity and inclusion, and cultural competency in
all aspects of Academy life.
- Ability to correctly identify food products.
- Must possess knowledge and commit to health and safety
procedures with food handling and preparation.
- Practices excellent personal hygiene habits; follows and
adheres to uniform standards daily.
- Regular and consistent attendance with the ability to work a
flexible schedule including extended hours, weekends, and
- Ability to function in a fast paced environment, under short
time constraints, and within established deadlines.
- Must possess excellent guest service and hospitality skills and
projects a positive image while interacting with students, faculty,
staff and guests.
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to develop and
maintain collegial relationships.
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work with students by building trust
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills as well as a
strong customer focus.
- A strict adherence to confidential policies is required.
- Ability to work independently and handle multiple priorities
and deadlines simultaneously.
- Proficient in MS Office.
- Willingness and ability to learn additional applications as
- High degree of organizational skills with the ability to be
flexible and multi-task with accuracy.
- Ability to follow verbal and written directions, maintain a
professional demeanor and restraint at all times, including
Incumbent directs support staff in dining room area
- High school diploma or GED preferred.
- Some college experience helpful.
- ServSafe certification is required. Must be able to obtain
certificate within 60 days of hire (attend required class and pass
- Minimum 1 year food service experience required.
- Experience in large volume production and knowledge of quantity
food preparation methods and terminology preferred.
- Directly related experience in a high volume kitchen and
fast-paced environment preferred.
- Experience in an academic institution preferred.
- Demonstrated experience directing work assignments of support
- Experience working with adolescents in an educational setting
The physical demands described here are representative of those
that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job.
- Physical demands are in excess of those for sedentary work and
will require the ability to remain standing for extended periods of
time, go up and down flights of steps, lift and push heavy objects
as well as stoop, squat, bend, kneel, crouch, and lift.
- Ability and dexterity to grasp and grip and safely operate
commercial kitchen equipment.
- Ability to lift and transport up to 50lbs without
- Ability to work under a range of temperature conditions such as
withstanding exposure to extreme heat in the kitchen or extreme
cold from freezers.
- Successfully complete a criminal background check (reviewed
every 5 years).
* This position is considered “Essential Personnel”
- an emergency occurs on the PEA Campus or in the vicinity that
would impact PEA;
- inclement weather forces the closing of campus or;
- other emergency events deemed appropriate.
Essential Personnel are required to report to or remain at work if
instructed to do so if contacted directly by the supervisor (or
his/her designee), the Principal or a member of the Principal’s
Staff (Leadership Team).