The Public & Media Relations Manager will work with UIndy
faculty and staff colleagues to identify newsworthy ideas, gather
facts and work with members of the press to secure coverage in
top-tier news outlets in strategic locations within and outside of
the state of Indiana.
This role must stay up to date on what the media is focused on and
be able to bridge those topics with UIndy experts to identify
opportunities and ultimately land positive media coverage. The
position requires an understanding of the current media landscape,
news judgment, and ability to quickly analyze and prioritize
rapidly emerging issues.
The Public & Media Relations Manager is able to write
well-researched, factually accurate and succinct talking points and
statements/responses as needed.
The position is part of the UIndy Communications team which also
includes social media, online publications, and supports the
administration on internal and external communications needs. The
ideal candidate enjoys working with a talented and creative team,
coming up with innovative ideas, and proactively cultivating key
relationships with both university staff and faculty, as well as
Responsibilities- Public & Media Relations Manager
Qualifications- Public & Media Relations Manager
- Developing rapid response strategies for media inquiries, write
statements/or interview talking points in coordination with campus
units and subject-matter experts, conduct media training, staff
interviews or media briefings.
- Developing, executing, editing, and overseeing written
communications, including key content for thought leadership
- Developing and maintaining collaborative relationships with
local and top media organizations and individual journalists.
- Writing press releases and statements on institutional and
campus issues or news
- Tracking news media coverage
- Sourcing and creating high quality content designed to enhance
University reputation, enrollment, fundraising and community
impact, for publication and messaging across the integrated
marketing and communication mix (including print, video, digital
- Contributing to all aspects of the communications and content
strategy team’s responsibilities as needed, including but not
limited to media relations, social media, external and internal
communications, crisis communications and proofreading.
- Building relationships with on-campus clients to serve their
- Working collaboratively with an editorial group responsible for
developing and implementing University of Indianapolis’
communications strategy across its print and digital channels.
Essential Functions- Public & Media Relations
- Bachelor’s Degree, or equivalent experience, Journalism, Public
Relations, English, Writing, Communications or a related field
- Experience working in integrated marketing and
- Demonstrated experience in project management, working with
creative teams; and ability to conceptualize, develop and produce
content for a variety of communications channels, including
analysis and reporting to strengthen organizational brand and
- Understanding of website management to support the Marketing
and Communication team and various client/University content
updates. Experience with content management systems is preferred
(e.g., Cascade CMS, WordPress, etc.)
- Proficient in Associated Press style writing and editing,
Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Superior spelling,
punctuation and grammar skills.
- Ability to plan, organize and coordinate work assignments
independently, with a demonstrated ability to work as part of a
team toward organizational objectives.
- Evidence of superior oral and written communication
- Evidence of success working effectively with diverse
constituencies and in a team environment.
- Serve as a liaison between the university and the news
- Cultivate relationships with members of the media
- Develop and execute press strategies for announcing news
- Proactively pitch news stories about the university in local,
domestic and international top-tier press
- Maintain an in-depth knowledge of the university's strengths
and goals and find new, creative, and compelling ways to tell
stories through various media
- Handle and track media requests
- Write pitches and other material
- Collaborate with the Communications' team's daily news
- Foster positive working relationships with members of the
- Contribute to digital and social media efforts
- Keep abreast of higher education's issues and trends, as well
as global and national current events and campus activities
- Assist with maintaining a comprehensive editorial calendar in
line with brand, product, and corporate/internal communications
- Cover assigned stories or identify potential stories, cultivate
sources, conduct interviews and research, and write accurate,
- Collaborate and develop content with leadership to define and
drive content creation goals, strategy, and tactics for
communications and marketing campaigns.
- Develop content for communications and marketing needs,
including writing, fact-checking, editing, script writing,
storytelling, concepts for video production, website content
writing and news website updates.
- Advise academic and administrative departments in developing
communications that promote their programs and align with
University of Indianapolis’ external communications strategy.
- Follow the guidance and direction of the supervisor.
- Perform employee responsibilities as detailed in the Staff
- Other duties as required or assigned.
Become a Greyhound! The University of Indianapolis is a private,
liberal arts university and home to a close-knit community of more
than 700 faculty and staff supporting 5,600 undergraduate and
graduate students on our main campus. We offer an inclusive work
environment where your individual contributions will be recognized
and rewarded and the University’s motto, “Education for Service,”
provides the foundation for all our work.
Situated on 65 acres in the University Heights neighborhood and
just minutes from downtown
, UIndy’s campus is close to all of the cultural,
shopping, sports, and recreational amenities you’d expect in the
13th-largest city in the United States. Want to cheer on your
Hounds when they play their rivals in the Great Lakes Valley
Conference? UIndy employees and their families enjoy free admission
to home sporting events, and many arts and cultural events on
campus are free for employees as well. The University is proud to
offer a competitive total rewards package, including a generous
time off policy, ensuring you can enjoy your time outside of work
as you wish.
If you’re interested in joining our dynamic environment and
experiencing hard work, creativity, and teamwork, we welcome your
The University of Indianapolis is an equal opportunity employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, sex, age, color, religion, national origin,
disability, citizenship status, military status, marital status,
sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. The
University of Indianapolis does not discriminate on the basis of
sex in its educational programs and activities, including
employment and admission as required by Title IX.
- Medical Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Tuition Discount
- Retirement Savings Plan - 403B
- Paid Vacation and Sick Time Accruals
- Paid Holiday time and additional University days off
- Employee Discounts & Services
- Free Parking
- Onsite Health & Wellness Center
For more information about the benefits of being a staff member at
UIndy, visit our Benefits