Academic Counselor - Upward Bound Program
Academic Counselor - Upward Bound
Department Contact Email
Job Summary/Basic Function
JOB SUMMARY :
The Upward Bound Counselor will be responsible for the daily
operations of the Upward Bound Program and assisting in the
accomplishments of overall project goals and objectives of the
program. The Upward Bound Counselor will provide direct services to
Upward Bound participants including, but not limited to,
counseling, assessment, monitoring, and academic development. This
is a grant funded position
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES :
- Coordinates and/or conducts participant assessments to
determine the extent of academic, social,
- financial, personal, and career counseling needs.
- Assists in participant recruitment and selection of students;
meets individually and in groups with
- participants on a regular basis to provide information and
assistance supporting successful school
- completion and post-secondary entry.
- Assists participants with exploration, goal setting, planning,
and follow through; monitors
- participants’ progress.
- Assists in preparing Upward Bound promotional materials and
press releases for area media in
- conjunction with university administration.
- Conducts Upward Bound informational presentations at
participating schools and community
- Assists in developing and implementing all services and
activities to meet the Upward Bound
- Directs a coordinated approach among processes to assess
participant’s needs, delivers services,
- and monitors participants’ progress.
- Develop weekly appropriate tutoring materials.
- Conduct and oversees tutoring sessions.
- Serves as a liaison to departments, target school
administrators and community agencies.
- Maintains accurate Upward Bound data to generate
monthly/quarterly/annual reports and to
- evaluate the performance of participants and the attainment of
- Assists in preparation of Annual Progress/Performance Reports
utilizing university procedures.
- Assists in preparation of formative and summative program
- Assists in preparation of continuation budgets and competitive
program continuation proposals.
- Must have reliable transportation
- Willing to travel
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS :
- Excellent computer skills
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with students,
colleagues, faculty and administrators
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with students, school
counselors, parents/guardians, and
- officials in postsecondary education.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and work with low-income and
first generation clients.
- Demonstrated knowledge of accounting principles and
- Knowledge of issues affecting the academic potential of low
income, at-risk, first generation collegebound youth (bilingual
- Ability to conduct academic, educational, and social
assessments on program participants as required.
- Possess a strong written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and
small group situations.
- Ability to administer standardized instruments for college
placement of participants.
- Ability to maintain flexible schedule including evening and
- Working knowledge of personal and instructional computing
- Use of virtual media platforms
- Knowledge and use of different Social media
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Education, Counseling,
Sociology, and Social Work or teaching education related field
- At least three years counseling experience with a minimum of
two years counseling low-income, potential first generation college
students, and ethnic minority youth in an education setting.
Experience with Upward Bound Program or U.S. Department of
Education TRIO Programs.
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
This is a grant funded position. Please attach your resume, cover
letter and letter of references along with your application.
Transcripts will be required at time of interview. Questions or
concerns please call John Anene @ 937-376-6496
Staff - Monthly (Exempt)
Budgeted Annual Salary
Commensurate with experience
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Public Job Posting
- Internal Job Posting
- Agency Referral
- Personal Referral
- Web site
- * Do you have a Bachelor's Degree?
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial Transcripts
- Teaching Philosophy
- Other Document