International Programs Manager
Who we are:
The American Physical Society (APS) is a nonprofit membership organization working to advance and diffuse the knowledge of physics through its outstanding research journals, scientific meetings, and education, outreach, advocacy, and international activities. APS represents more than 50,000 members, including physicists in academia, national laboratories, and industry in the United States and throughout the world.
Become a part of APS's groundbreaking mission as we transform into a Welcoming Global Hub for physicists worldwide as the International Programs Manager! Assist with the Society's international strategy development and efforts to increase the value proposition of APS membership and other offerings to physicists outside the US. Develop approaches to ensure all aspects of APS are accessible to the global physics community. Manage ongoing and new international programs, initiatives, and activities. Assist with developing and managing metrics to measure the effectiveness of the department's initiatives and the Society's international priorities. Shape the future of physics accessibility and connectivity by developing innovative approaches for the global physics community. Join us and be a driving force in shaping the global physics landscape! Apply today!
APS has a “remote first” concept that promotes equal treatment and equal access within the United States, independent of physical work location, with a majority of staff working primarily from remote work locations. APS values diversity and welcomes candidates from a variety of backgrounds. APS offers a dynamic work environment with an outstanding total compensation package, including salary, outstanding benefits, and excellent paid time off.
- Develop new programs that will expand the Society’s engagement with physicists worldwide, in partnership with the Director of International Affairs and Senior International Programs Manager
- Strategize with APS departments on how to expand existing US-centric APS programs globally
- Strategize regarding how to communicate the value proposition of APS membership to the international physics community
- Identify external funding opportunities to support APS’s global initiatives and ensure the involvement of physicists outside of the US in all aspects of APS
- Manage the International Research Travel Award Program for Ukraine
- Manage the Distinguished Students Program for Ukraine
- Assist with management of the Emergency Aid Fund
- Manage and maintain metrics and financial records for reporting to the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation (Emergency Fund, DS-Ukraine, IRTAP-Ukraine)
- Strategize and expand satellite events abroad under the auspices of APS meetings
- Strategize and plan Young Physicists Forums between APS/US physics community and physics communities abroad
- Serve as Committee Administrator, as needed, for one of the international advisory committees
- Manage Global Member Spotlight initiative and strategize on how to promote the APS members being spotlighted
- Assist with planning and management of the International Young Leaders Forum
Education: Bachelor’s degree required.
Experience, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Minimum of 10 years experience in program management
- Demonstrated international relations experience and knowledge required
- Strategic planning experience required
- Experience in grant and proposal writing
- Experience managing budgets
- Expert in diplomatic and professional communications
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Exceptional editing and proof-reading skills
- Ability to partner with other APS departments, volunteers, and external partners toward program development and management
- Ability to represent APS and the International Affairs department in a diplomatic and professional manner
- Experience with commonly used technology platforms, including Asana, Google Drive
Travel: Position may require some travel (5 - 10%) for advisory committee meetings and APS annual meetings.
The American Physical Society is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of American Physical Society not to discriminate or allow the harassment of employees or applicants on the basis of race, religious creed, immigration status, alienage or citizenship, religion, color, ethnicity, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, familial status, protected veteran status, protected military status, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, predisposing genetic characteristics, ancestry, domestic violence victim status or any other characteristic protected by law with regard to any employment practices, including recruitment, advertising, job application procedures, hiring, upgrading, training, promotion, transfer, compensation, job assignments, benefits and/or other terms, conditions, or privileges of employment, provided the individual is qualified, with or without reasonable accommodations, to perform the essential functions of the job. This policy applies to all jobs at APS. The American Physical Society is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. To request a reasonable accommodation, please contact APS Human Resources at email@example.com. The “Know Your Rights: Workplace Discrimination is Illegal'' poster, prepared by the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), provides an overview of several laws that protect you from discrimination on the job, and several rights are afforded to you by these laws. The “Pay Transparency Non Discrimination Provision,” prepared by the U.S. Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP), provides an overview of several protections implemented to protect individuals working under federal contracts from discrimination when inquiring about or discussing compensation; these protections apply to all employees and applicants. The APS has a "remote first" concept that promotes equal treatment and equal access, independent of physical work location, with a majority of staff working primarily from remote work locations.