The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), part of the State
University of New York and an internationally renowned college of
art, design, business and technology with a strong emphasis on
liberal arts, invites nominations and applications for the Director
of Alumni Relations and Development in the FIT Foundation.
The Director of Alumni Relations and Development develops and
implements a comprehensive Alumni Engagement program of meaningful
events, communications and fundraising initiatives designed to
increase alumni engagement and support among more than 70,000
undergraduate and graduate alumni of FIT. Through a wide
variety of programming, volunteer opportunities, and
communications, the Director will build strong ties between alumni
and the college that complements and supports the mission of FIT.
Under the supervision of the AVP for Advancement, they will work
closely with Foundation colleagues, the President, the VP for
Advancement, as well as with members of the college community
including its faculty and administrators, in an effort to create
and support a culture of engagement and giving at FIT while
strengthening ties with its alumni.
- Create short and long-term strategies for the Office of Alumni
Relations. In conjunction with the AVP, develop and implement
a strategic plan aimed at increasing lifelong engagement between
alumni and the Fashion Institute of Technology.
- Identify opportunities to infuse pride in the "FIT brand" and
FIT degree. Create a visible and strong alumni network for
professional and personal support, and create programming and
messaging that add to the creation of a culture of philanthropy,
gratitude, and the importance of giving back.
- Manage and lead the annual fund development and programming,
including quarterly appeals, an annual FIT Giving Day and other
fundraising initiatives and programs focused on alumni and friends
of the college. Meet or exceed a designated six-figure fundraising
- Manage an assigned portfolio of alumni prospects and maintain
an active schedule of personal visits with key alumni, especially
potential alumni leaders and donors, recruiting alumni for
volunteer roles on alumni committees and partnerships and
- Enhance opportunities that foster involvement and long-term
engagement in both the alumni program and the life of FIT through
partnerships across campus including career services and
- Serve as liaison with and provide organizational support to the
FIT Alumni Advisory Council, various departmental alumni councils,
and college committees charged with representing various alumni
- Build and grow an alumni membership model and develop regional
programming in key cities and locations on a national and global
- Create volunteer structure and volunteer opportunities that
support and promote Alumni Relations strategic plan.
- Identify, recruit and engage alumni for volunteer leadership
roles, especially successful and highly dynamic alumni, creating an
increasingly effective and engaged volunteer network in which
alumni advance to increasing levels of involvement and
- Develop a comprehensive Alumni Relations program and
educate graduating students about alumni benefits and engage them
in various programs and fundraising initiatives.
- Work collaboratively with the Office of Communications and
External Relations to share donor and alumni stories, generate
interest in college programs, educate alumni on engagement
opportunities, and deepen alumni interactions with FIT through
print and electronic communications, as well as unique content
- Maintain an Alumni database, ensuring accurate and complete
records; and that contacts, biographical and career information of
alumni are updated.
- Partner with Admissions to spearhead the introduction of alumni
involvement in the admissions process; partner with Career Services
to plan the growth and accessibility of career networking and
mentoring services for students and alumni.
- Manage the Alumni Relations budget; within the annual
Advancement program budget, manage existing and/or additional
alumni programs, services and communications.
- Raise funds for select special projects and events in
collaboration with Advancement Office.
- Provide leadership, management, and direction to the alumni
- Develop and monitor performance goals for alumni relations
staff and provide guidance for staff professional development.
- Manage Alumni Relations, currently Assistant Manager of Alumni
Relations and Communications Coordinator.
- Administer the ongoing business, activities, and operation of
the alumni relations office, ensuring responsiveness to alumni
needs and inquiries, as well as college and divisional
The preceding description is not designed to be a complete list
of all duties and responsibilities required of the position; other
duties may be assigned consistent with the classification of the
- Bachelor's degree required.
- 10-15 years of experience leading alumni
relations/engagement, membership program creation and management,
- Experience in engagement campaign development, volunteer
- Proven project management experience and the ability to handle
and move forward multiple projects simultaneously.
- Master's degree preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Excellent communication skills including writing, editing, and
- Excellent interpersonal skills with an engaging and innovative
personal style and a high level of sophistication and maturity in
social and professional settings, including the ability to work
diplomatically with partners and represent the Foundation and
- Demonstrated ability to work with high-level prospects, donors,
and campus/trustee leaders.
- Demonstrated ability to manage, mentor, and guide a growing
team of professionals.
- Ability to operate independently, exercise sound judgment, and
- Ability to prioritize, meet deadlines and goals, and present
solutions (vs. identify challenges).
- Ability to collaborate closely with colleagues in development
and across departments.
- Highly developed leadership and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability in problem identification and resolution
with excellent analytical and critical thinking skills is
- Expert-level knowledge of Microsoft Office programs and web
- Proficiency in Raiser's Edge or similar CRM database
- An understanding of and the ability to articulate the
accomplishments and goals of a complex organization.
- The intelligence, maturity and sound judgment necessary for
interacting with board, trustees, administrative and academic
leadership, faculty, and staff.
- An understanding of the important role of diversity, inclusion,
and equity to institutional advancement and alumni engagement.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships
and effective channels of communication at multiple levels inside
and outside the organization with a proven ability to successfully
interact with a diverse group of people.
- Ability to exercise a high degree of sound judgment and
diplomacy, with a commitment to confidentiality.
- Strategic planning, organizational, administrative and
budgetary experience is a must.
Review of applications will begin immediately until the position
is filled. Successful completion of a background check is required
for appointment to this position once an offer has been made.
Starting Salary: $110,00.00 - $120,000.00 per year; commensurate
with experience and qualifications.
Days/Hours: M-F, 9am-5pm, in person; work schedule subject to
change based on needs of the department.
The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT) provides comprehensive
employee benefit programs designed to help keep our faculty and
staff and their families healthy, safe, happy, and productive. Our
programs also include a variety of components to help our employees
improve the quality and balance of their work and family lives, and
to help them prepare for their futures.
- Retirement Plans
- Health Care Plan and Dental Plan
- Employee Assistance Program
- Flexible Spending Account
- Commuter Benefit Plan
- FIT Tuition Exemption Program
- Paid Time Off (Vacation, Personal, Sick and
- 4-day Summer Workweek
For a full list of FIT benefits, visit our
Pay Equity by State Employers
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by
the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form,
that an applicant for employment provide his or her current
compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as
the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with
compensation. If such information has been requested from you
before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee
Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email
Fashion Institute of Technology is not able to provide
visa sponsorship for this position.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Statement
FIT is firmly committed to creating an environment that will
attract and retain people of diverse racial and cultural
backgrounds. By providing a learning and working environment that
encourages, utilizes, respects, and appreciates the full expression
of every individual's ability, the FIT community fosters its
mission and grows because of its rich, pluralistic experience. FIT
is committed to prohibiting discrimination, whether based on race,
color, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, religion,
ethnic background, age, disability, marital status, sexual
orientation, military service status, genetic information,
pregnancy, familial status, citizenship status (except as required
to comply with law), or any other criterion prohibited by
applicable federal, state, or local laws. FIT is committed to
providing equal opportunity in employment, including the
opportunity for upward mobility for all qualified individuals.
Applications from minorities, women, veterans, and persons with
disabilities are encouraged. Inquiries regarding FIT's
non-discrimination policies may be directed to the Affirmative
Action Officer/Title IX Coordinator, 212
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
This position will be required to constantly read and
comprehend, occasionally perform calculations, constantly verbally
communicate, constantly analyze, and constantly write. The working
conditions for this position will be on campus, primarily in an
office environment. The physical requirement for this position will
require constant sitting, constant standing, occasional bending,
occasional walking, and occasionally lifting 10 lbs. or
In order to be considered for the position, you must submit the
following documents online:
- Cover letter
- Unofficial transcript
- A list of three references with telephone numbers and email
Returning Applicants - Login to your FITNYC Careers
Account to check your submitted application material.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we
receive, we are unable to contact each applicant individually
regarding his or her application status.
For more information about us, please visit FIT's website at: