DePauw University is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer:
Women, members of underrepresented groups, and persons with
disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Position will remain open until filled.
Please go to
University Profile for more information about DePauw.
DePauw Security Staff is responsible for assisting Public Safety
Police Officers with the security of all University properties and
the safety of the faculty, staff, students, guests, and visitors.
DePauw Security staff will also assist the Public Safety Police
Officers with the enforcement of the University policies, including
parking regulations. DePauw Security works primarily on nights and
weekends. DePauw Security staff reports to the Director of Public
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable
Accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential Functions Statement(s)
- Conduct pro-active mobile and foot patrols of University owned
buildings, facilities, and common areas. Identifying and act upon
vulnerabilities in an effort to maximize the safety and security of
faculty/staff, students, visitors and assets.
- Provide community services such as information, access and
- Provide security and traffic control at various events when
- Enforce the established rules and regulations of DePauw
University, including enforcement of parking regulations on
- Document violations of University Policy and assist Police
Officers with investigations as needed, using established reporting
procedures and forms.
- Assist the University community by providing emergency services
- Other duties as assigned.
- Accountability - Ability to accept responsibility and account
for his/her actions.
- Adaptability - Ability to adapt to change in the
- Assertiveness - Ability to act in a self-confident manner to
facilitate completion of a work assignment or to defend a position
- Conflict Resolution - Ability to deal with others in an
- Customer Oriented - Ability to take care of the customers'
needs while following company procedures.
- Diversity Oriented - Commitment to valuing a variety of
different experiences, encouraging input and collaboration from
campus stakeholders, including being mindful of experiences
related, but not limited to: age, gender, race, ethnicity,
religion, socio-economic status, LGBTQ, and/or job type.
- Ethical - Ability to demonstrate conduct conforming to a set of
values and accepted standards.
- Interpersonal - Ability to get along well with a variety of
personalities and individuals.
- Reliability - The trait of being dependable and
- Safety Awareness - Ability to identify and correct conditions
that affect employee safety.
- Tactful - Ability to show consideration for and maintain good
relations with others.
- Working Under Pressure - Ability to complete assigned tasks
under stressful situations.
High School Graduate or General Education Degree
Basic: Ability to read, listen to
and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and
memos. Ability to write and communicate simple
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide
in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and
Basic computer skills
Certificates & Licenses
Must have a current and valid driver's license verified through the
Bureau of Motor Vehicles. CPR and First Aid certification is
desired but can be obtained upon employment.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must have no felony convictions or domestic violence
convictions or pending criminal cases.
- A strong commitment to customer service. Strong leadership,
verbal/written communication, interpersonal relationship skills,
organizational skills and public relations skills are
- Must have strong conflict resolution skills and problem solving
- Must be able to adapt and react to unusual conditions and work
effectively under pressure.
- Must have a good working knowledge of Federal, State, and local
law, including traffic codes.
- Must have working knowledge of or willingness to become
familiar with Incident Command System (ICS).
- Must be physically and mentally capable of performing all
duties of security staff.
- Must have a clear and safe driving record.