Title: Journeyman Electrician
$4,000 sign on bonus available!
This position works with other Electricians to maintain campus
electrical distribution, lighting, and fire alarm systems, building
environmental control equipment, appliances, and other specialized
This position may be considered “Essential Personnel” in the event
- An emergency occurs on the Bates campus or in the vicinity that
would impact Bates
- Inclement weather forces the closing of campus
- Or other emergency events deemed appropriate.
- Install, maintain, repair, and service all lighting systems,
(inside and outside) power distribution systems, fire alarm
systems, motor control equipment, appliances, and specialized
electrical equipment and machinery.
- Install conduit, wire, and electrical equipment related to
- Assist other trades with equipment installations.
- Complete work and Preventative Maintenance orders.
- Operate power tools, hand tools, and other specialized
- Perform tasks in accordance with National and Local Electrical
- Perform tasks in accordance with National, State, and College
safety policies and procedures.
- Perform routine emergency response “on call” duty with distance
- Shovel snow seasonally as needed.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Journeyman Electrician License and Trade School required.
- Master Electrician desired.
Skills and Knowledge
- Minimum 5 years of experience in commercial or institutional
- Ten years of commercial or institutional electrical maintenance
- Ability to install, repair, and troubleshoot lighting, power
distributions systems, fire alarm systems, and other equipment
associated with the operations of a college campus.
- Ability to read and interpret complex wiring diagrams.
- Knowledge and use of machines and equipment including power
tools, specialized electrical equipment, and electrical test
- Must have valid Maine driver’s license.
- Basic math and computer skills.
- Ability to logically trouble-shoot equipment problems.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions in the conduct
of the job.
- Establish and maintain working relationships with supervisors,
co-workers and outside contacts.
- Ability to perform manual tasks requiring strong physical
- Ability and willingness to work weekends, evenings, on-call and
other non-traditional schedules.
- Commitment to equity and inclusion, and serving the needs of a
culturally and educationally diverse community.
Bates College offers competitive salaries, excellent benefits
(health, dental, 9% retirement contribution with potential for an
additional 3% match, 10 days of vacation*, 12 paid holidays, free
parking, access to library and athletic facilities & more) and
a supportive, collegial environment in a drug- and smoke-free
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
Bates College is committed to the principle of equal opportunity
and providing an educational and work environment free from
discrimination. The college prohibits discrimination on the basis
of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity or gender expression, age, disability,
genetic information or veteran status and other legally protected
statuses in the recruitment and admission of its students, in the
administration of its education policies and programs, or in the
recruitment of its faculty and staff. Bates College adheres to all
applicable state and federal equal opportunity laws and
regulations. All college faculty, staff, students, contractors,
visitors, and volunteers are responsible for understanding and
complying with the Non-Discrimination Policy.
Inquiries concerning the college’s policies, compliance with
applicable laws, statutes, and regulations (such as Title VII,
Title IX, and ADA/Section 504), and complaints may be directed to
Gwen Lexow, Title IX Officer, 207-786-6445 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Bates is internationally recognized as a leading liberal arts
college, attracting 2,000 students from across the U.S. and around
Since 1855, Bates has been dedicated to educating the whole person
through creative and rigorous scholarship in a collaborative
residential community. Committed to opportunity and excellence,
Bates has always admitted students without regard to gender, race,
religion, or national origin.
Cultivating intellectual discovery and informed civic action, Bates
prepares leaders sustained by a love of learning and zeal for
responsible stewardship of the wider world. Bates engages the
forces — intellectual trends, demographic changes, and technology —
that are transforming higher education and the world into which our
Bates has highly competitive admissions, graduates over 90 percent
of its entering students, and more than half of its alumni earn
graduate degrees. Bates employs 200 faculty members and 550
The college is proud of deep roots in the Lewiston/Auburn
community, Maine’s second-largest urban area with a population of
approximately 65,000. Bates is located on a beautiful, 133-acre,
traditional New England campus in Lewiston, an emerging city with
an entrepreneurial climate, a lively arts scene, and a dynamic
business community. Bates is 35 miles north of Portland, 140 miles
north of Boston, and 350 miles north of New York City.
Dec 07 2022 Eastern Standard Time