Title: Custodial Lead
Responsible for overseeing and directing a crew of up to 23+ people
while cleaning, inspecting and inventorying campus properties. The
size of the physical area and number of employees assigned will
vary according to use and purpose of assigned facility, volume of
pedestrian traffic, and intensity and frequency of the cleaning
This position may be considered “Essential Personnel” in the event
- An emergency occurs on the Bates campus or in the vicinity that
would impact Bates,
- Inclement weather forces the closing of campus,
- Or other emergency events deemed appropriate.
- Perform work assignments following established procedures and
in compliance with the Bates College Housekeeping Policies.
- Supervise, direct, assist, and assure the team’s completion of
assigned housekeeping tasks in accordance with established criteria
on a daily basis by adjusting and inspecting work progress,
carrying out special instructions, or resolving cleaning
- Report all damages and initiate maintenance service
- Maintain inventory of supplies issued to the buildings/staff.
Assess inventory supplies for appropriate quantities and use.
- Move furniture/office equipment as necessary.
- Assist in building, renovation, and remodeling projects on
campus as necessary.
- Assess team’s quality assurance compliance and suggest actions
needed to maintain a high level of customer service and compliances
- Perform other duties appropriate to position requirements as
assigned by supervision.
- Contribute to team effort by welcoming new and different work
requirements, exploring new opportunities to enhance the services
of the department; helping others accomplish related job results as
and where needed; adhere to and support Facility Services' core
values of honesty, integrity, respect, openness to ideas,
commitment, empowerment, balance between life at and outside of
Bates, and students and the educational process.
- Attend all required training sessions and additional
professional development courses.
- To be involved in the Performance Development Program, Time
Sheets and Disciplinary action.
• High school diploma or GED.
Skills and Knowledge
- Minimum 3 years of experience at Bates College or
- Supervisory experience desired.
- Must have valid Maine driver’s license.
- Basic math and computer skills.
- Knowledge and ability to use buffer (side-to-side), burnisher
(straight ahead), walk behind and ride-on scrubbers/ sweeper,
vacuum (including backpack), shower/foam gun, shop-vac, floor
refinisher, stair walker, carpet extractor; two-way radios and
pager, telephone, etc.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions in the conduct
of the job.
- Establish and maintain working relationships with supervisors,
co-workers and outside contacts.
- Ability to perform manual tasks requiring strong physical
- Ability and willingness to work weekends, evenings, on-call and
other non-traditional schedules.
Bates College offers competitive salaries,
excellent benefits (health, dental, 9% retirement contribution with
potential for an additional 3% match, 10 days of vacation*, 13 paid
holidays, free parking, access to library and athletic facilities
& more), and a supportive, collegial environment in a drug- and
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
Bates College is committed to the principle of equal opportunity
and providing an educational and work environment free from
discrimination. The college prohibits discrimination on the basis
of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity or gender expression, age, disability,
genetic information or veteran status and other legally protected
statuses in the recruitment and admission of its students, in the
administration of its education policies and programs, or in the
recruitment of its faculty and staff. Bates College adheres to all
applicable state and federal equal opportunity laws and
regulations. All college faculty, staff, students, contractors,
visitors, and volunteers are responsible for understanding and
complying with the Non-Discrimination Policy.
Inquiries concerning the college’s policies, compliance with
applicable laws, statutes, and regulations (such as Title VII,
Title IX, and ADA/Section 504), and complaints may be directed to
Gwen Lexow, Title IX Officer, 207-786-6445 or via email at email@example.com
Bates is internationally recognized as a leading liberal arts
college, attracting 2,000 students from across the U.S. and around
Since 1855, Bates has been dedicated to educating the whole person
through creative and rigorous scholarship in a collaborative
residential community. Committed to opportunity and excellence,
Bates has always admitted students without regard to gender, race,
religion, or national origin.
Cultivating intellectual discovery and informed civic action, Bates
prepares leaders sustained by a love of learning and zeal for
responsible stewardship of the wider world. Bates engages the
forces — intellectual trends, demographic changes, and technology —
that are transforming higher education and the world into which our
Bates has highly competitive admissions, graduates over 90 percent
of its entering students, and more than half of its alumni earn
graduate degrees. Bates employs 200 faculty members and 550
The college is proud of deep roots in the Lewiston/Auburn
community, Maine’s second-largest urban area with a population of
approximately 65,000. Bates is located on a beautiful, 133-acre,
traditional New England campus in Lewiston, an emerging city with
an entrepreneurial climate, a lively arts scene, and a dynamic
business community. Bates is 35 miles north of Portland, 140 miles
north of Boston, and 350 miles north of New York City.
Jun 21 2023 Eastern Daylight Time