Muskegon Community College, an associate degree-granting
institution of higher education, is a center for lifelong learning
which provides persons the opportunity to attain their educational
goals by offering programs that respond to individual, community,
and global needs.
Oversee routine operations and act as lead person for all
activities pertaining to the circulation functions of the Library.
Assist with training, assign tasks, and supervise student
assistants in all circulation desk operations and book shelving.
Work collaboratively with other library staff to ensure smooth
library operations. Assist in promotion of library activities to
students and staff.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open until filled
BUDGETED SALARY RANGE:
Starts at $17.11 per hour depending
Qualifications: Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Associate degree or minimum of three years progressive clerical
and customer service experience. (Preference to those with
experience in higher education, libraries, banking, marketing,
community relations or related area.)
- Prefer demonstrated prior leadership experience and/or
mentoring, training and basic supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated ability to relate to people of all ages, races,
and social-economic backgrounds.
- Demonstrated ability to operate office technology, software,
& equipment. Establishing yourself as the “go to” person with
all equipment and software.
- Ability and willingness to upgrade skills including technology
or process changes.
- Ability to supervise, mentor and coach student workers while
setting a good example by demonstrating professional workplace
behavior and work ethics.
- Demonstrated ability to create welcoming environment to
students, parents, faculty/staff and community members especially
during busy/chaotic times.
- Demonstrated use of tact, judgment and discretion and the
ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a successful team while
accomplishing tasks and assignments without assistance, even while
- Highly motivated and solution oriented with a high degree of
integrity, ethics and dedication to the mission of the
- Demonstrated excellence in both oral and written communication
- Requires prolonged sitting or standing, keyboarding and work on
computer (hand/eye strain), speaking in English via phone or in
- Strong knowledge of grammar, punctuation and writing techniques
with the ability to produce professional documents.
- Knowledge of proper order of library collections.
Physical, Mental, and Environment Requirements
- Answer and/or direct patron inquiries.
- Oversight of process and procedures of circulation.
- Issue library cards and verify database for accurate patron
- Monitor SIRSI for material reservations and run request
- Produce monthly, quarterly, and annual Library reports.
- Track and compile monthly circulation statistics for circulated
and shelved materials, and registered patrons using the SIRSI
- Oversee faculty reserve collection.
- Manage library’s print periodicals subscriptions.
- Inputting and maintaining non-book items in SIRSI.
- Keep updated inventory of supplies.
- Process over-due accounts and fines.
- Maintain proper order of the library collections.
- Assist in training for the areas of circulation.
- Submit invoices for approval and payment.
- Process the physical withdrawal of materials.
- Maintain non-book media equipment to include coin-operated
machines requiring normal maintenance. Contact proper vendor when
further servicing is required.
- Process library faculty load sheets.
- Other duties as assigned.
☒ Detailed Work
☒ Student Contact
☐ Deadline oriented
☒ Problem Situations
☒ Multiple Priorities & Demands
☐ Emergency Situations
☐ On-call Availability
☒ Continual Interruptions
☒ Working Alone
☒ Faculty Contact
☒ Working with Others
☐ Standing & Walking
☒ Lifting up to 10 lbs. ☐ Up to 25 lbs. ☐ Up to 50 lbs. ☐ 80 +
☐ Pushing, Pulling, Twisting, Bending
☐ Climb or Balance
☒ Stoop, Kneel, Crouch, or Crawl
☒ Handle or Feel
☒ Reach with Hands and Arms
☒ Talking or hearing
☐ Working Overhead
☒ Speak in English via Phone or In Person
☒ Close, Distance, Peripheral, and Color Vision along with Depth
☒ Ability to Adjust and Focus
☐ Exposure to wet, humid conditions (non-weather), fumes or
airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals; extreme heat/cold;
and moderate to loud noise levels.
☒ Normal Office environment with little, if, any, discomfort due to
heat, dust, noise and the like. Ability to travel to all campus
Muskegon Community College continues to promote staff
diversity, and is an equal opportunity employer. MCC does not
discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national
origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity,
transgender status, political persuasion, disability, height,
weight, veteran status, age or any other protected class in any of
its educational programs, activities or employment. Minorities,
women, veterans, and the physically challenged are encouraged to
apply. Anyone with a disability will be reasonably accommodated by
the College. If you have a disability and need an accommodation or
assistance in applying for this position, please contact the Human
Michigan, United States