Home Org Name
The Intellectual Property Exchange
VP for Research and Economic Dev
Business & Financial Operations Manager
Job Class Code
Limited Term Length
Auburn University is excited to begin the search for a Business
& Financial Operations Manager!
The person in this position
manages The IP Exchange ( IPX ) commercialization support,
financial, database and compliance responsibilities. Two mission
critical functions include: 1) responsible for managing the
business and financial activities related to the law firms, IP
support service firms, and marketing firms used; and 2) responsible
for calculating royalty distributions, managing patent expense
reimbursement activities, completing bookkeeping activities within
the internal data management system, and carrying out other
business-related activities, as needed, to ensure continued
operations. The person in this position serves as strategic advisor
to the Executive Director of The IP Exchange, as well as supervises
the activities of The IPX operations team.
Why employees choose Auburn:
Auburn University was named by
Forbes Magazine as one of the state of Alabama’s best employers,
with employees staying an average of ten years. Employees enjoy
competitive benefits that include top-notch health insurance,
generous retirement plans, tuition assistance for employees and
dependents, flexible spending accounts, and more!
It’s a Lifestyle:
The Auburn/Opelika area is a page right
out of Southern Living magazine with an idyllic small-town feel,
perfecting a unique balance between a close-knit community and
driving consistent growth and development. Paralleling the
exponential growth of Auburn University, the Auburn/Opelika area
boasts services and amenities that cater to any interest. We’re
proud of our top school systems, city services, award-winning
restaurants, and the infectious spirit of life in a college town.
You can find us nestled halfway between the beach and the mountains
in a lower-cost-of-living area, two hours outside of Atlanta or
Birmingham. If you’re new to Auburn, we’d love to introduce you. If
you’re already acquainted with Auburn, we’ll keep it simple: it’s
time to come home!
Learn more about Auburn’s impact, generous employee benefits, and
thriving community by visiting
Auburn University is committed to a diverse
and inclusive campus environment. Visit auburn.edu/inclusion
learn more about our commitment to expanding equity and inclusion
- Monitors and reviews terms of IPX License Agreements to
determine if licensees are in compliance with the terms of the
agreements as it relates to royalties and patent expense. Reviews
agreements and any applicable amendments for billing royalties or
patent expense reimbursement.
- Communicates with Licensing Officers, inventors, licensees and
university schools and departments as needed.
- Reviews monthly statements to guarantee accuracy of records and
makes corrections if necessary.
- Monitors department financial operations and performs analyses
in order to develop, implement and maintain solutions to financial
- Coordinates, prepares, processes and maintains records of
financial transactions such as journal entries, payment vouchers,
cash collection reports, and internal transaction vouchers.
- Develops and prepares IPX Monthly and Annual reporting and
other analyses as requested. Prepares annual budgets for the
department as well as submits details to the Director for inclusion
in the annual reporting to the Association of University Technology
Managers ( AUTM ). Prepares and reports monthly and annual IPX
- Performs detailed monthly reviews of the department’s Financial
Statements including reconciling multiple accounts.
- Reviews and monitors the activities of the IPX operations team
to include the patent administrator, the government compliance
administrator and the technology transfer administrator.
- Communicates with team to review processes in an effort to
monitor efficiencies and needs. Identifies team development and
training needs and seeks resources to meet the needs.
- Reviews and approves attorney fees for processing by
identifying the specific IP involved in the expense and noting the
proper intellectual property ID.
- Coordinates with attorneys or other entities to encourage
utilizing the LEDES format to reduce processing time of
transactions and improve efficiencies.
- Performs monthly review of transactions billed by a foreign
annuity service. Communicates with Patent Administrator with any
- Coordinates with the database provider to maintain the Inventor
and department Portals to provide a unique service to AU inventors,
department heads and deans.
- Communicates with the department heads and deans offices of
updates and/or changes to the portal.
- Monitors procedures and processes to enhance the effectiveness
and efficiency of the management of the office.
Bachelor’s degree in Business.
6 years of experience in a financial analysis and reporting
position dealing with contracts, with at least 1 year of experience
directly supervising full-time employees.
Minimum Skills, License, and Certifications
Minimum Skills and Abilities
Minimum Technology Skills
- Knowledge and understanding of IP management, government
compliance, and contract guidelines. Knowledge of AU patent
- Knowledge of accounting and budget principles, practices, and
the analysis of financial data.
- Precise attention to detail, well organized, follow-through to
conclusion of actions, with ability to identify errors, offer
resolution, and to meet strict deadlines.
- Demonstrated record as a team player within a diverse
environment. Self-starter with strong work ethic who can work well
Minimum License and Certifications
- Proficiency with various spreadsheets and database programs
such as Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word.
- Knowledge and experience with Auburn University financial
reporting systems, budget, contract and grant operations, policies
Posting Detail Information
Working Hours if Non-Traditional
City position is located in:
State position is located:
List any hazardous conditions or physical demands required by
Auburn University is committed to an inclusive and diverse campus
environment. Women, underrepresented groups, individuals with
disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
AUBURN UNIVERSITY IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION / EQUAL OPPORTUNITY
EMPLOYER . It is our policy to provide equal employment
opportunities for all individuals without regard to race, sex,
religion, color, national origin, age, disability, protected
veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender
identity, or any other classification protected by applicable
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please attached a resume, cover letter, and provide the names and
contact information for at least three (3) professional references
to your application. Please attach documentation of any job-related
certification, credential, and/or license under Other
Quick Link for Internal Postings
Documents Needed to Apply
Optional DocumentsSupplemental Questions
- Cover Letter
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Please select how you first became aware of this opportunity.
Your response helps us determine how we can more effectively reach
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- HERC (Higher Education Recruitment Consortium)
- The Tuskegee News
- Professional organization or journal
- Veterans Assistance Services
- Disability Assistance Services
- State Employment Service
- Social Media
- AU Job Bulletin
- Notified by an Auburn employee
- College or university Career Services
- I went to the AU Employment Website directly
- * Please select the answer that best describes your current
employment relationship with Auburn University:
- Current full-time Auburn or AUM employee within probationary
- Current full-time Auburn or AUM employee outside of
- Current part-time Auburn or AUM employee
- Not an Auburn or AUM employee
- * Do you have a Bachelor's degree in Business?
- * Do you have 6 years of experience in a financial analysis and
reporting position dealing with contracts, with at least 1 year of
experience directly supervising full-time employees?